Solved

Do OVO offer a plan for a triple meter (for day, night and storage)?

• 17 September 2019
  • 5 replies

My elderly father is being ripped off by his current provider as he has a triple meter for Day, Night and Storage units. Does OVO offer a tariff for this type of meter?

Thank you, Sue.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 19 September 2019, 15:19

I haven't heard of this triple-rate before... but it doesn't surprise me.

Having more than one "cheap rate" was a feature which influenced the design of the SMETS meter system about 8 years ago. If you look at the menus on your gas and electricity smart meters, they have 4 or 5 different Time-Of-Use periods which can be configured by your Energy Supplier.

The preferred way forward is what the Government & Ofgem call Demand Side Response, whereby we have a variable tariff operating in chunks of 30-mins.

DSR is important because the SMETS2 meter incorporates a random delay to ensure that the grid doesn't have surges on the half-hours due to customers configuring devices to switch on at a precise time.

For that reason we urgently need to see Suppliers offering half-hour variable tariffs, and migrate customers away from fixed-time rates such as Economy-7.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi

Is it related to Scottish Power?

See this article from a few years ago from the Guardian.

It may be that you have to get them to replace the meter first so that another provider can then take over the supply.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Sue Bennett,

We don’t offer a specific Economy 10 (multi rate) plan, but you can choose any OVO plan and we’ll give you two unit rates (one for day and one for night) – just like with Economy 7. If you want to know more about Economy 10, please read our Guide to Economy 10.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @Nancy_OVO

Im not sure this is economy 10 which offers two rates at three times, it sounds like this is three different rates and not two? If it is like the plan shown in the Guardian article above its specific to Scottish power

Maybe @Transparent has heard of this before and can help???
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hmmm you're right, @Phil_H, perhaps @Transparent can shed some light as you mentioned?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I haven't heard of this triple-rate before... but it doesn't surprise me.

Having more than one "cheap rate" was a feature which influenced the design of the SMETS meter system about 8 years ago. If you look at the menus on your gas and electricity smart meters, they have 4 or 5 different Time-Of-Use periods which can be configured by your Energy Supplier.

The preferred way forward is what the Government & Ofgem call Demand Side Response, whereby we have a variable tariff operating in chunks of 30-mins.

DSR is important because the SMETS2 meter incorporates a random delay to ensure that the grid doesn't have surges on the half-hours due to customers configuring devices to switch on at a precise time.

For that reason we urgently need to see Suppliers offering half-hour variable tariffs, and migrate customers away from fixed-time rates such as Economy-7.