Solved

Can OVO send someone out to read meters we don't have access to?

• 20 March 2019
  • 1 reply

I live in a building where none of the inhabitants have access to the meters as they're in a plant room. The council that own the building won't allow us access to this room (I know, I know - this isn't legal but they insist it's procedure and I don't know what to do next) and they say contractors have to request the keys from them but any supplier I speak to refuses to do this and say they won't send anyone out. Can Ovo send someone out to read meters until I am ultimately eligible for a smart meter? I live in hope of getting a smart meter and this all being resolved but until then I haven't had a meter reading in 2 years.
icon

Best answer by Phil_H 21 March 2019, 11:30

Hello

It sounds like a difficult situation. I am not sure a meter reader would have any more luck than you would in accessing the meter. Is there someone/caretaker on-site who has access?

Have you spoken to your local Citizens Advice? See:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

They can probably give you some good advice and they will be local to you and will know contacts at your council.

Also in this situation I would contact Ovo directly by phone to discuss this with them. As they "own" the meter they do require access. I suggest you have the contact details of the key holder/person at the council who you contact about this ready to give to Ovo. If you have been unable to provide meter readings for 2 years Ovo should be insisting on access.

Ovo would need access in any case if you want a smart meter fitted.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello

It sounds like a difficult situation. I am not sure a meter reader would have any more luck than you would in accessing the meter. Is there someone/caretaker on-site who has access?

Have you spoken to your local Citizens Advice? See:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

They can probably give you some good advice and they will be local to you and will know contacts at your council.

Also in this situation I would contact Ovo directly by phone to discuss this with them. As they "own" the meter they do require access. I suggest you have the contact details of the key holder/person at the council who you contact about this ready to give to Ovo. If you have been unable to provide meter readings for 2 years Ovo should be insisting on access.

Ovo would need access in any case if you want a smart meter fitted.