Solved

Why does the engineer keep missing the appointment I paid for?

• 31 January 2019
  • 11 replies

I booked and paid for an engineer's visit back in December 2018 and the earliest appointment available was 16th January. OVO failed to attend and failed to contact me to tell me that this appointment would not happen.

I booked another appointment for 31st January - the earliest they could provide. Yet again, no engineer and no contact from OVO. Another day wasted, lost wages and so on.

The worst aspect of this fiasco is that I have no kitchen and have not had one since early in January and I cannot have the new one fitted until this work has been carried out.

Engineers' visits are booked 17 days in advance...... that is not good enough, clearly OVO needs more engineers!
icon

Best answer by Slinky 31 January 2019, 14:35

If OVO failed to contact you and you lost out as a result it would be reasonable to expect compensation for their failure. Have you asked?

I've just looked at the advice for customers regarding installation and the below paragraph is interesting..., as OVO failed to give you at least 24 hours notice they should be paying you £30 for each failed visit.

What should I do if I need to change or cancel my installation appointment?

If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, get in touch with us straight away. You need to give us at least 24 hours notice or you’ll have to pay a £30 cancellation fee.

Source: Before your Smart Meter Installation
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If OVO failed to contact you and you lost out as a result it would be reasonable to expect compensation for their failure. Have you asked?

I've just looked at the advice for customers regarding installation and the below paragraph is interesting..., as OVO failed to give you at least 24 hours notice they should be paying you £30 for each failed visit.

What should I do if I need to change or cancel my installation appointment?

If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, get in touch with us straight away. You need to give us at least 24 hours notice or you’ll have to pay a £30 cancellation fee.

Source: Before your Smart Meter Installation
Thank you. OVO have offered me £30 for each of the failed appointments but that goes nowhere towards the costs that I have incurred due to their failure. They have also offered me a further £30 and will not take their £30 exit fee when I leave. I don"t think that is good enough. I have been without a kitchen since December and cannot have the new fitted until OVO carry out some work. The first appointment was 16th January and now they are offering an appointment for 25th February - but I don't trust them to turn up
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
What are your alternatives? At least they have offered some compensation even if it's not a lot. You could make your complaint official by writing to OVO but you would then have to wait for them to reach a decision. I believe you have to wait around 10 weeks for their final answer and if you're not happy with their resolution or you reach 'deadlock' you can then go to the Ombudsman but not before.

I'd take what I can get and move on if that's what you have in mind, not having to pay the exit fee of £30 per/fuel is not to be sniffed at. Actually talking of which OVO can't charge you that fee anyway because they broke contract with you by failing to attend when planned.
An engineer was scheduled to arrive today between 8 - 12 (as confirmed via email) to fit an isolator switch however nobody has turned up. This isolated is required for the EV charge point to be fitted next week!

Having rung the "help" line to query this ... 30mins later i got an answer and was put on hold to be transfered to the correct department. 10 further minutes of hold music later they disconnect the call and I have to start all over again. Awful, awful, awful.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @RupertK ,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience. I'm sure no one would have intentionally disconnected the phone call.

I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find more information on what to do if an appointment has been missed.

Thanks
I had a smart meter installation booked weeks ago for today. Yesterday I got a call telling me the installation is cancelled because the engineer is sick and I should book a new one on MyOvo. But on the site, the booking seems to be still on as well as the big warning about the £30 fee if I miss it. So what should I do? Miss work anyway even if nobody will come? This is really appalling service from OVO!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I had a smart meter installation booked weeks ago for today. Yesterday I got a call telling me the installation is cancelled because the engineer is sick and I should book a new one on MyOvo. But on the site, the booking seems to be still on as well as the big warning about the £30 fee if I miss it. So what should I do? Miss work anyway even if nobody will come? This is really appalling service from OVO!

Sorry to hear about this missed appointment, @alessandro

You might be owed compensation if you were given less then 24 hours notice. Also we can help you rebook: call us to sort both of these things (it's better to call as we can bounce dates and times off you): 0330 303 5063
An installer was meant to appear today and install my smart meter, I've swapped shifts to wait in for them between 12 and 4 and now I've got no way of knowing what's happened or why. Help from OVO is weekdays only. Anyone else experiencing this poor level of service?
Userlevel 5
Badge
I've moved your post here, @Rooser, please check out @Slinky's best answer regarding the failed appointment.

We offer the best phone cover we can, inline with common industry standards. We can offer support to cover the majority of the day, Monday-Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1pm. The team take emergency off supply calls between 6pm-8pm. We are also available to assist on Facebook and Twitter over the weekend.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Hope this helps!
I have had a booking for today at 2-6pm for a site visit to get my smart meters installed .. had the day off work and they have text me at 2:10pm to say
Hi this is the meter engineer from Siemens. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend your appointment as OVO currently have no stock of smart meters. I will get them to contact you regarding a new appointment. Sorry for this inconvenience ...
This is not acceptable.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry about the delayed response, @kt15562, I've moved your post here, please check out @Slinky's best answer.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks!