Solved

Re wiring our house and getting a new consumer unit - does OVO need to get involved?

• 2 June 2017
  • 2 replies

We are going to be rewiring our house from top to bottom with a sparkly new consumer unit too. Should I give you a final meter reading before removing the current consumer unit? Should I also give you details of the new unit once its installed?

(re wiring, seriously autocorrect!!)
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 5 June 2017, 13:47

We are going to be rewiring our house from top to bottom with a sparkly new consumer unit too. Should I give you a final meter reading before removing the current consumer unit? Should I also give you details of the new unit once its installed?

Hi @nicphilpot

Yes this sounds like a big job for you and that sparky!

If you're replacing your consumer unit (otherwise known as a fuse box), you will need to have an 'isolation switch' in place beforehand. They will let that electrician cut off power to the consumer unit (and the property), after the meter. If you haven't got this in place yet, we'll need to send out an engineer to fit one, at a cost of £67.20. If you're not sure, the electrician will be able to advise accordingly.

To get an appointment booked in, it might be easier for you to call up. That way, any free dates can be check with you over the phone and a good date and time agree. Find our contact details here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers#contactnumbers.

We won't need to take down any meter reading or change the meter at all. All the work will happen after the meter, and if the power is cut off, you'll just be paying that standing charge for however may days the power is off.

Just to add, I've tweaked the title of this topic on the off chance that someone else has the same query - you never know! :8

Tim
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @nicphilpotwelcome to the forum and thanks for posting,

Firstly good luck and I hope your rewire goes according to plan.

To make life easier for you - if you PRivate message the lovely @Tim_OVO with your full name, address, ovo account number, date of birth and readings from the old and new consumer unit he will be able to update your account details for you. I'm not sure if you need to provide the serial number for the new unit - but Tim will be able to clarify what other info is needed from you to process this for you

Hope this helps
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @nicphilpot

Yes this sounds like a big job for you and that sparky!

If you're replacing your consumer unit (otherwise known as a fuse box), you will need to have an 'isolation switch' in place beforehand. They will let that electrician cut off power to the consumer unit (and the property), after the meter. If you haven't got this in place yet, we'll need to send out an engineer to fit one, at a cost of £67.20. If you're not sure, the electrician will be able to advise accordingly.

To get an appointment booked in, it might be easier for you to call up. That way, any free dates can be check with you over the phone and a good date and time agree. Find our contact details here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers#contactnumbers.

We won't need to take down any meter reading or change the meter at all. All the work will happen after the meter, and if the power is cut off, you'll just be paying that standing charge for however may days the power is off.

Just to add, I've tweaked the title of this topic on the off chance that someone else has the same query - you never know! :8

Tim