Solved

Re-locating gas and electricity meter - Can OVO help?

• New Member*
  • 0 replies

I am doing some work on my house and planning to knock through a wall in kitchen. Unfortunately the electricity metre is on the wall that needs to be chocked down. It needs to be moved to the opposite wall about a meter. With the gas meter once the knock through happens it will be in the middle of the room, so need to move it about 1.5m. Has any one done moving of utility metres before..? Can OVO do this for me..?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 1 July 2017, 13:30

View original

73 replies

Updated on 10/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Whilst suppliers such as OVO can help in the relocation of your gas/electricity meter, we’re not the only ones who need to be involved. You can find out who is responsible for each part of your meter setup on our handy guide. 

If you are looking to move either meter from the existing meter backboard you would need to contact your local DNO to move your electricity mains cables or your gas transporter to move your gas pipework. This work should be arranged to take place on the same day as our engineers visit to move the meter to make sure there is no disruption to your supply.

As a non-essential maintenance job, there is a charge for us to move your meter. Moving your electricity meter costs £125 for a single phase, and £325 for a 3-phase supply, moving your gas meter costs £145. We’ve made a topic guide on engineer jobs and how much they cost, see this here.

If you’d like to get a meter relocation arranged reach out to our Support Team, we’d usually be able to get an appointment arranged with at least 17 working days notice, although this would depend on engineer availability in your area.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Hope @Max_OVO helped with this @Nav :?

I've been a busy bee behind the scenes, moving this topic to the All About Energy forum, tweaking the title and adding some tags. All in the hope that others who want to move their meter can find Max's answer and know what needs doing! :)

Tim
My smart meter was installed recently in the same position as the old meter which was easy to read. The new meter is far more difficult to read so I would like to have it moved further down the meter board where I can read it. OVO have quoted a price of £79.20 to move it. Are there any exceptions to paying this?
Userlevel 5
My smart meter was installed recently in the same position as the old meter which was easy to read. The new meter is far more difficult to read so I would like to have it moved further down the meter board where I can read it. OVO have quoted a price of £79.20 to move it. Are there any exceptions to paying this?

Hey @Ferrymaster, I've moved your topic over here where you'll find the info you need.

It's worth mentioning that you shouldn't need to take a reading from your smart meter anymore anyway, as it'll be sending us one electronically.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
Sorry to barge into this topic.

I also need to move the meter. It will need to move on the other side of the same wall (flip around) exactly in the same position vertically and horizontally. Involves no lengthening or shortening to the network cable.

OR does it need a complete new Network cable from outside to go in the other side of the wall (on to a new box)

Please can anyone from Ovo tell me if you guys can do it? I have old meter and can I have smart meter at the same time?

No need to be sorry, @ncs - we're here to help!

So based on your first point, it looks like the cut out would need to be moved. The cut out belongs to your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) which means we're unable to touch it. You'll need to get in contact with them first of all to discuss what works need to be done. If they then advise that your energy supplier needs to come out and move the meter after they've been, give us a call to book an appointment for the same day.

We wouldn't be able to install a smart meter at the same time unfortunately - this would have to be a separate booking for a different day.

If you're not sure who your DNO is, just reply with your Meter Serial Number (MSN) and we'll let you know!

Hope this helps,
Emma
Link to helpful guide, no longer works (opens on meter reading problem page) any chance of fixing the link or posting a correct link?

Thanks
Thanks for flagging this, @SadOldMan

I've just removed the link as there's no replacement to add, but the rest of the information is still correct.

Cheers,
Emma
I'm looking to get both my gas and electric meter moved in preparation for an extension being built. I've been reading conflicting information about whether this is done by ovo or the local supplier. Has anyone been through this recently who can advise?
@Jlmjlm - just moved your query over to an existing thread on this topic.
I am looking at building an extension and need to move the gas meter. How do I contact to arrange for this work to be done and how much does it cost?
My Gas smart meter has developed an annoying squeak when it's pumping, The kind of noise that when you hear it you cannot ignore it. I was just wondering what the best cause of action.
My gas meter is currently in my living room and this time of year the squeaking gets too much for my aspergers so i'm without gas to save my sanity.

What would be the best cause,

Request a new meter (I'm an engineer by trade, and over the years overall quality of all products have reduced, i believe whats happened here is a saving on lubrication, It's fine for a few years then.....squeak....squeak....squeak....squeak. and because of my Aspi i don't want to repeat actions)

Or is it best to get the meter moved to an outside wall?

which would be the cheapest option with the least intrusion?

thank you for you time
Userlevel 7
Badge
Hi @akaLoops It appears this may need to be a conversation with someone from OVO customer support. I would advice you give them a call and find out what the best option would be.

Phone number 0330 303 5063

Let us know how you get on
Userlevel 7

Or is it best to get the meter moved to an outside wall?

which would be the cheapest option with the least intrusion?

Nice question @Karnak and @akaLoops

We have some metering and engineer experts to call upon for their advice @PeterR1947 and @Davidc would be my first choice.

I know that if you move the meter to an outside wall, it might involve your local 'transporter' or the national grid to come and move the pipework. This will come at an expense.

Karnak it might be worth sending a video of the meter on webchat through the Help Centre. If it's bad, I'd suggest they'd take it out and replace it for free!

aksLoops the cost of OVO visiting to move the gas meter is £145, but that doesn't include the cost of moving the pipework. This page might be worth a read!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Karnak @akaLoops @Tim_OVO

Meter moves do vary, every case is different because basically it is work that the gas or electricity transporters do not want to do. In the past, in my metering days I have heard quotations of over £1,000 just for moving a meter to an outside wall, a move of about 1 foot!

In saying that, sometimes, if it suits them, the transporters will do it for nothing. @Karnak I would have thought that with a meter in a living room that squeaks you really want it moving; personally I would play the H&S card in that case, tell them you are worried about having a gas meter in your living room and that you are concerned about the smell you sometimes get and that you have aspergers you might get it moved for nothing.

@akaLoops this is a difficult one as per my first paragraph you might get a massive quotation, although its worth asking, it will be National Grid's gas transporter Cadent who will provide the quote. Is there any way you can design the extension to avoid having to move the meter?
Hi @akaLoops It appears this may need to be a conversation with someone from OVO customer support. I would advice you give them a call and find out what the best option would be.

Phone number 0330 303 5063
Let us know how you get on
Thanks, Ovo we’re v helpful, they can relocate within 2 meters for £145. But anything more and you have to contact the gas supplier, the quote I have received from them, excluding digging the access trench, is £500!
Hi, We would like to turn our electric and gas meters so that they are accessible from the back wall, so that we can close the existing opening. There are numerous threads, but I haven't been able to add on to them. Any help to get this done would be most appreciated. Tried calling customer services but after a 30 min wait, I figured I'd try my chances here.

Thank you for your help.
Userlevel 7

We would like to turn our electric and gas meters so that they are accessible from the back wall, so that we can close the existing opening.

Have a look at the convo above, @azimmm - Max's ' Best answer' advised on what is necessary.

We would love a photo of the set up so us technical folk can advise you!

EDIT - @PeterOJ this topic is well worth a read!
My Electricity and Gas meters are inside my integral garage but I am considering having the meters moved to a box(s) on the outside wall of the garage. The gas meter would have to move approx 5M, the electricity meter is on the inside of the outside wall.
Do I need to get this done/approved/quote by OVO and what is the approx. cost? At present I do not have a smart meter, would it be best to have a smart meter fitted first and investigate meter moving and then move the meters at a later date.
Many thanks
What would it cost to move the meter location if done at the same time as having a smart meter installed? The old meter is in a big, ugly box on the front of my house but I'd want the new one fitted to a back wall of the house. My desired location would be inline with where the existing gas pipe runs.
Also, how large will the new meter box be?
Thanks
Who do I contact regarding moving my gas meter for building work to be carried out
Userlevel 5
This is a big job, @PhilBell, so we'll need to help from the National Grid. You'll need to pay us to relocate the meter this costs £145, there will also be another charge from the National Grid - you'll need to get in touch with them for a quote.

To get this booked in you'll need to call our Customer Care team as well as the National Grid. You can find out who takes care of your gas pipes here. Our team are available weekdays 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.

As soon as your meter has been re-positioned we'll exchange it for a smart meter. This can be arranged here.

The meter box is your responsibility, so you can choose this yourself. Most DIY and hardware stores sell these. You could try B&Q! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Can my gas meter be moved away from the house by 150mm, and who can do this ?
It is because I am about to fit external wall insulation, and want the gas box on the final surface afterwards. Attached a pic of the meter, with the rain-cover removed so you can see it.

Userlevel 7
@MaggieP did you manage to this sorted? It would depend on how far you needed the pipework moving. We'd need more detail or a picture to be able to confirm.

@RobL we'd be able to do this for you, the cost would be £106 for us to send someone out to complete this work for you. Just get in touch with our Care team directly on 0330 303 5063 and they'll be able to get this booked in for you.