Solved

My old electricity meter is buzzing

• 24 April 2018
  • 1 reply

Hello, I have an old 'disc' style electricity meter, that buzzes very loudly.

I have two questions:

Can OVO replace it with a new one?
Or
Would a smart meter installation remove the old buzzing meter?

Thanks

Dan
icon

Best answer by Transparent 24 April 2018, 18:16

Welcome to the Forum @dan_k,

I think you're right:- the logical answer is to request a Smart Meter and the buzzing gets eradicated by default!

If you have a mobile phone, just hold it near the existing meter to see if you can get a signal. It's not a thorough test, but it will give you a rough idea if the existing meter position will be able to support the smart wireless communications link.

I can't tell from looking at your Forum Profile if you also have gas from OVO. If so, then you'll presumably want both meters upgraded at the same time.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Welcome to the Forum @dan_k,

I think you're right:- the logical answer is to request a Smart Meter and the buzzing gets eradicated by default!

If you have a mobile phone, just hold it near the existing meter to see if you can get a signal. It's not a thorough test, but it will give you a rough idea if the existing meter position will be able to support the smart wireless communications link.

I can't tell from looking at your Forum Profile if you also have gas from OVO. If so, then you'll presumably want both meters upgraded at the same time.