Solved

My gas supply is capped - who is responsible for the meter?

• 6 October 2019
  • 2 replies

My local area had its gas supply upgraded by northern gas from old pipes to new and when they did this they ran new gas pipes up to every property and capped them. If you used gas they attached your meter and everything was uncapped and back to normal.
We do not use any gas in our property so our supply is capped outside our property to an empty white box.
we still have the meter we always had inside the property but its not connected to a supply or any appliances (ie cooker, heating) it just sits there doing nothing.
i spoke to someone at Ovo and they wanted £80 to remove it even though it’s not connected to any supply, so we left it in as the standing charge is about the same.
We are at the end of our contract with OVO now and we will save money if we change supplier.
My questions are....do I still have to pay for both gas and electric with the new supplier?
Who does the redundant meter belong to when we do change?
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 11 October 2019, 17:18

Although your gas meter is capped you would still be charged standing charge and you're liable to pay it, @Crownjoolz. You would need to contact your new supplier and see what they charge to remove the meter.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
If your gas supply is capped and not active then you shouldn't be charged standing charges. The local has supplier will be able to confirm this.

Ask for a rebate of costs occured
Userlevel 5
Although your gas meter is capped you would still be charged standing charge and you're liable to pay it, @Crownjoolz. You would need to contact your new supplier and see what they charge to remove the meter.