Pinned Solved

I want to move my meter box - How do I go about this?

• 31 March 2017
  • 5 replies

My meter box is halfway up the wall in my dining room and although hidden is unsightly and obtrusive. How do I go about getting it removed and position on an outside wall? what are the costs involved?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 19 April 2017, 12:30

My meter box is halfway up the wall in my dining room and although hidden is unsightly and obtrusive. How do I go about getting it removed and position on an outside wall? what are the costs involved?

Hey Iscamaid,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. We were hoping some other users might have helped out on this one so apologies that we haven’t responded sooner!

When relocating meters there's often the need to move or extend pipes and cables and these are the responsibility of the gas and electricity distribution network in that area. As such there is a limit to what we can do.

For more information on moving your gas meter, please visit this page.

Lucy

**Updated 21/08/2019**
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey Iscamaid,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. We were hoping some other users might have helped out on this one so apologies that we haven’t responded sooner!

When relocating meters there's often the need to move or extend pipes and cables and these are the responsibility of the gas and electricity distribution network in that area. As such there is a limit to what we can do.

For more information on moving your gas meter, please visit this page.

Lucy

**Updated 21/08/2019**
This is information that I've been looking for, But the link you given has expired, and seraching for "Move Meter" on their site gives no information.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This is information that I've been looking for, But the link you given has expired, and seraching for "Move Meter" on their site gives no information.

Nice spot, @Karnak - I've updated this link now!

Have any follow up questions on moving your meter? Post them here! I know a few engineer forum users we can hit up to get some advice!
We currently received our power overhead via next door. We have had a survey by UK Power Networks who have quote to move the overhead cable directly into our property.

As we are undertaking a home refurb (hence the cable move) we would like to move the meter to an outside box, I believe that as my energy supplier Ovo will need to undertake this move.

However in what order does it have to be performed?
Overhead cable move first and then meter?
What is the lead time?
Is there a chance that the property will be without power for a period of time?

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Rivo

I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find more info above ☝🏼

Cheers