Solved

How do I arrange to move the meter to the other side of the wall?

• 10 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi,

Would like to move the meter from the front room to the outside wall. It is literally on the other side of the wall, thus under 1 meter.

Please do advise.

Kind regards
Azzam
icon

Best answer by Transparent 10 April 2018, 20:21

Hi @azzam

Which meter? - Gas or Electricity?

I have some experience of this, but whether it is relevant depends which area of the country you live in. I'm in Devon, so my electricity supply is handled by Western Power, and gas by Wales & West Utilities. I have found both very easy to deal with. They have explained which parts of the meter-relocation I may do, and which requires a registered engineer.

In my area, moving a gas meter a short distance is a capped fee. Last time I checked I think it was about £100. This assumes that I collect the new Meter-box and fit this to the wall before Wales & West do the actual move.

The twice that I've relocated an electricity meter, I have again fitted the meter-box myself, and then hired in an approved electrician to run the meter-tails (cables) to the new location. Western Power were called to site by the electrician to re-seal the meter and provide a new 100A fuse. They didn't charge for this at all. Their main concern was safety, including checking the resistance to the new earth-stake.

What more would you like to know?
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @azzam

Which meter? - Gas or Electricity?

I have some experience of this, but whether it is relevant depends which area of the country you live in. I'm in Devon, so my electricity supply is handled by Western Power, and gas by Wales & West Utilities. I have found both very easy to deal with. They have explained which parts of the meter-relocation I may do, and which requires a registered engineer.

In my area, moving a gas meter a short distance is a capped fee. Last time I checked I think it was about £100. This assumes that I collect the new Meter-box and fit this to the wall before Wales & West do the actual move.

The twice that I've relocated an electricity meter, I have again fitted the meter-box myself, and then hired in an approved electrician to run the meter-tails (cables) to the new location. Western Power were called to site by the electrician to re-seal the meter and provide a new 100A fuse. They didn't charge for this at all. Their main concern was safety, including checking the resistance to the new earth-stake.

What more would you like to know?
I am planning on doing some renovations on my house and would like to move my gas meter approximately 30cm to the left on an exterior wall - how do I go about doing this?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @J.lowrie - I've moved your post over here where someone's asked a similar question.

Check out Transparent's answer. The correct price for moving a gas meter under 1m is £124.80, and OVO can do this. Give the team a ring on 0330 303 5063 to arrange.

Cheers