Solved

How do I arrange for a broken meter box to be replaced?

• 21 March 2019
  • 7 replies

The cover on the meter box on the outside of my property has broken and keeps falling off. How do I arrange for it to be replaced/ fixed?
icon

Best answer by Nickinoo1985 21 March 2019, 19:13

The meter box should normally belong to the property therefore it is the responsibility of the home owner to repair/maintain.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @4SH - It's up to your where you purchase your meter box from, but they're definitely available at most hardware stores.
The meter box should normally belong to the property therefore it is the responsibility of the home owner to repair/maintain.
Thank you for your reply. Where would I find a new meter box? Can you buy them online?
Userlevel 4
can you post a picture?

From what you have said in the opening post you will need an electrician or someone else competent to repair the outlet.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum @ripalto1, cheers for stepping in @NoPoke. I've moved the post here as the answer below 👇🏼 should help clear things up.

Userlevel 1
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to put a safety outlet cover over the whole original outlet,
and wind electrical tape around that to secure it to the wall. (The original partly-broken outlet cover just has electrical tape loosely wound around to 'join' that open area to the other top half).
It's a good thing Safety outlets can cover this in the meanwhile, unless there are issues from using electrical tape underneath that outlet cover for the bottom half of the original.

P.S. I may have made a mistake in joining this site's Forum if asking electrical questions requires
a membership fee, but in case that's necessary, I have already made an effort to contact this site to request cancellation of my registration. And to log-out--I couldn't find the option to do that on this site. But, Cheers to all--I'm an American but my Dad was half-English, so it's nice to be able to visit a British website!! : )
Userlevel 1
The bottom half of my outlet cover is broken off, so the wire is exposed. The wire is not frayed or broken, so how would I repair this outlet cover so the lower half is covered? I have tried securing the upper half with electrical tape, and placed a bigger plastic outlet cover over the whole area, winding the electrical tape gently around the new outlet cover to secure that. Will this become a safety issue later on? I don't intend to continue using this outlet.