Solved

How do I arrange for a broken meter box to be replaced?

• 21 March 2019
  • 7 replies

The cover on the meter box on the outside of my property has broken and keeps falling off. How do I arrange for it to be replaced/ fixed?
icon

Best answer by Nickinoo1985 21 March 2019, 19:13

The meter box should normally belong to the property therefore it is the responsibility of the home owner to repair/maintain.
View original

7 replies

The meter box should normally belong to the property therefore it is the responsibility of the home owner to repair/maintain.
Thank you for your reply. Where would I find a new meter box? Can you buy them online?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @4SH - It's up to your where you purchase your meter box from, but they're definitely available at most hardware stores.
Userlevel 1
The bottom half of my outlet cover is broken off, so the wire is exposed. The wire is not frayed or broken, so how would I repair this outlet cover so the lower half is covered? I have tried securing the upper half with electrical tape, and placed a bigger plastic outlet cover over the whole area, winding the electrical tape gently around the new outlet cover to secure that. Will this become a safety issue later on? I don't intend to continue using this outlet.
Userlevel 4
can you post a picture?

From what you have said in the opening post you will need an electrician or someone else competent to repair the outlet.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum @ripalto1, cheers for stepping in @NoPoke. I've moved the post here as the answer below 👇🏼 should help clear things up.

Userlevel 1
Thank you for the feedback. I tried to put a safety outlet cover over the whole original outlet,
and wind electrical tape around that to secure it to the wall. (The original partly-broken outlet cover just has electrical tape loosely wound around to 'join' that open area to the other top half).
It's a good thing Safety outlets can cover this in the meanwhile, unless there are issues from using electrical tape underneath that outlet cover for the bottom half of the original.

P.S. I may have made a mistake in joining this site's Forum if asking electrical questions requires
a membership fee, but in case that's necessary, I have already made an effort to contact this site to request cancellation of my registration. And to log-out--I couldn't find the option to do that on this site. But, Cheers to all--I'm an American but my Dad was half-English, so it's nice to be able to visit a British website!! : )