Solved

How can I arrange for an extra electricity supply at my property?

• 3 April 2018
  • 6 replies

Please could someone help me as to how I should go about arranging for a new supply to be connected for granny annexe that we are currently having built ?

Our present supply is 100 amp rated but we have an induction hob which will overload the present supply if we simply add the annexe's needs onto our existing supply.

The electrician has recommended we either get a 3-phase supply or ask our supplier for an additional meter - but there doesn't seem to be anything on the ovo website about this.

icon

Best answer by Transparent 4 April 2018, 14:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 01/09/23 by Abby_OVO: 

Three Phase Upgrade Process:

1. You may be identified as needing a 3-phase supply by an electrician, due to requiring a high capacity of electricity in your property. This is usually the result of an extension to the property with more lighting or other building work.
  2. You will need to contact your DNO to upgrade your main fuse to 3-phase fuse.
  3. Contact our Support Team to book a 3-phase Meter-Exchange on the same day as your DNO attend (we currently do not have 3-phase smart meters) - Check this topic for the cost of this job. An electrician may also be required to rewire your consumer unit once the new meter has been installed.

OVO Energy can now take on new connections. Some details of what to do is below:

Is a new connection needed?

If you have a supply number already (MPAN for electricity, MPAN for gas) and a meter attached, you already have a new connection and you can switch via the normal way online (when available).

Are you a domestic customer?

• Are you a domestic customer who will be living at the property
    • If no: we can only offer a new connection to domestic customers who'll be living at the property. 
    • If yes: continue to the next section below

Request a new connection

1. We’ll need to have a check that you have the supporting infrastructure in place (as we'll only be joining the meter to the connections):
    • Electricity: cabling from the mains should already be on site
    • Gas: pipework from the gas main in the street should be on site
  2. If the main connections are available, our Support team can request a new connection from our operations team.

What you should know

• We'll complete a few checks and confirm the date for an engineer visit
    • Please look out for this and contact us if the date isn't suitable
  • If we arrive and can't complete the new connection, we'll let you know why and next steps needed to resolve the issue
  • We'll install smart meters by default, and they'll be in pay monthly (credit/PAYM) setting
  • If you want a prepayment (PAYG) meter, we'll:
    • Install as pay monthly first
    • Check the meters are working correctly (so we don't leave you without supply)
    • Switch them to a PAYG tariff and account
    • Add any debt accrued in the PAYM setting, set at a repayment rate aligned with our current processes

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 5
Hi @Jim C,

Hope you got the information you need. I've modified the title of your topic and added some tags to make it more 'searchable' so that other users with a similar question can find it!

Cheers,
Nancy
We are buying a property with two separate meters for the main house and the Granny Flat Because the Granny Flat doesn't have its own address as such How do I register an account with OVO. I've set up my house move for the main house but not sure how to action for the granny flat. Could do with asking someone but struggling to see a number I can use.
Userlevel 7
We are buying a property with two separate meters for the main house and the Granny Flat Because the Granny Flat doesn't have its own address as such How do I register an account with OVO. I've set up my house move for the main house but not sure how to action for the granny flat. Could do with asking someone but struggling to see a number I can use.

Thanks for posting @Crolly

I know that OVO can't create a new supply (with its own supply number and meter) - this is still the prerogative of the big 6 - reach out to them, and when sorted, switch the new supply to us here!

Have a look at Transparent's answer above for more info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I don't think it's a new supply that's needed @Tim_OVO

If there's already a separate meter in the Granny Flat, then surely @Crolly just needs an OVO account with two electricity meters billed on it.
Userlevel 7
If there's already a separate meter in the Granny Flat, then surely @Crolly just needs an OVO account with two electricity meters billed on it.

Ahh yes I think you're right, @Transparent - if the meter is already in place, it will have a supply number so we can add it to your OVO account.

Call us and provide the address: 0330 303 5063. The agent will find the supply number of that meter and we'll apply to take it over. ETA 3 weeks!