Solved

After new (non smart) gas meter was installed, where is my gas bill?

Userlevel 1
  • SCR
  • Savvy**
  • 9 replies
Two months ago, at OVO's insistence, an engineer installed a new gas meter (not a smart meter). He said that they would pass the before & after meter readings to OVO. I have also supplied monthly meter readings. The gas readings prior to the change of the gas meter have been changed, presumably to remove the sudden drop in the figure when the meter was changed. But, for the second month now, my statement is charging for electricity only.

My questions are:
(a) can OVO legitimately change the readings submitted by me?
(b) when. or if, will OVO start to bill me for gas?
(c) will I lose the dual fuel discount?
(d) can I contact OVO without losing my self-service reward?
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 11 October 2018, 18:55

Hi @SCR,

This doesn't sound right to me.... when my meter was swapped the next bill looked like this

Gas:

Electricity:

So the billing system is obviously capable of coping with this scenario. You can see that there are actually two entries, one for the old meter and one for the new and that the MSN has changed. MSN is the serial number for the meter I believe. The MPAN (Electricity) and MPRN (Gas) should stay the same I think.

I also remember then when my meter was swapped the installer was very keen to take pictures on his camera phone of the old meter/readings, he said he has to provide photo evidence to OVO, so hopefully there is a record somewhere.

Maybe time to get in touch with them?

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
hi @SCR!

Good questions here!

a) I'm a little confused as to what you mean by they changed your meter readings? Could you explain more. When my meter was changed, I took the reading the day before, the engineer then took one when he removed the meter, which was maybe +2/3 from the day before. On my next statement it showed the final reading on the old meter, then a new reading for the new meter starting from 0.

b) Can't help on that one, I know it can take a while when a meter is swapped to sort out the billing system, but two months seems a long time.

c) I think you can argue that you are having supply of both, so don't see why you should.

d) Good question. This policy is new to us all, so lets see what one of the OVO staff say....
Userlevel 1
Thanks.

a) Suppose the reading before the meter was changed was something like 9500 and the previous one before that was, say, 9480. Suppose the initial reading on the new meter was 3300. Then I would expect the meter readings to stay as were:

But, now all readings on MyOVO start with a 3. And so I think they've subtracted 6200 from all readings before the meter exchange:

This seems a dubious practice to me. I never gave a reading of 3280.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @SCR,

This doesn't sound right to me.... when my meter was swapped the next bill looked like this

Gas:

Electricity:

So the billing system is obviously capable of coping with this scenario. You can see that there are actually two entries, one for the old meter and one for the new and that the MSN has changed. MSN is the serial number for the meter I believe. The MPAN (Electricity) and MPRN (Gas) should stay the same I think.

I also remember then when my meter was swapped the installer was very keen to take pictures on his camera phone of the old meter/readings, he said he has to provide photo evidence to OVO, so hopefully there is a record somewhere.

Maybe time to get in touch with them?
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close