Solved

Why is my smart meter display now showing “waiting for current data”?

and I’ve tried everything and still won’t work. It was fine 2 days ago and only installed a week ago
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 June 2020, 16:57

Updated on 11/09/20: If you have a SMETS2 smart meter and IHD, see this topic guide to diagnose connection issues.

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter and Chameleon IHD, see this IHD guide to diagnose connection issues.

If you have a SMETS1 meter with a Pipet IHD, see this IHD guide to diagnose connection issues.

Here’s some causes of connectivity issues with your In Home Display (IHD) and smart meter:

• Distance: make sure your In Home Display is near your electricity meter. If it’s not connected or isn't showing usage data, move it closer!
  • Home Area Network (HAN): your smart meter(s) might not be on the HAN, preventing devices from connecting to it. 
  • Firmware: there might be a firmware issue with the IHD or smart meter, that’s causing connectivity issues.   

For HAN or Firmware issues, see this guide for a possible fix. If this doesn’t work, reach out to our Support team via Facebook, Twitter, or webchat via the Help Centre.

View original

146 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi @Actongrumpy,

Sorry to hear about this. If your billing date is the 8th then the absolute best date to submit your readings is the 7th. This will ensure no estimations whatsoever. We send meter reading reminder emails about a week before though, to give everyone ample time to submit them. We might have to estimate a few days when customers submit their readings 3 or 4 days before the bill, for example.

Thanks

Worry not.  I worked that out years ago.  Today the recommended date has gone up to the 28th but I will be ignoring that too.  Of course, if my Smart Meter worked, I wouldn’t have to bother at all.  I no longer get email reminders because I have a Smart Meter - well, half of one.

My SMETS2 doing exactly the same, two days now!

Userlevel 6

We’ll need to check whether this is a communication issue with the meter or a fault with the IHD, @GreatShadow2004. Send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and full address so we can look into this. If you don’t use social media you can get in touch through webchat via our Help Centre.

We’ll need to check whether this is a communication issue with the meter or a fault with the IHD, @GreatShadow2004. Send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and full address so we can look into this. If you don’t use social media you can get in touch through webchat via our Help Centre.

Just sent a message with a video thx on FB.

Hi for the last 48 hours, my IHD had stopped working, showing a flashing wifi signal in top left, 0:00 on the clock and “waiting for data”

On my electricity meters comms unit all lights are flashing at the same time every 5 seconds , EXCEPT the MESH LED as this does not flash at all

It worked fine previously, location of IHD in home has not changed in terms of signal. Have left it for 48, but still does not seem to get any data through from my gas/elec meters.?

Any ideas on how to fix it, pair it?

Userlevel 4

My IHD is doing the exact same thing,

I’ve powered it off for a few Hrs, even moved it closer to the meters & it still won’t reconnect.

Anybody have any help or advise on how to re-sync it.

Tia Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Bart Somsen and @TomThumb and thanks for posting here on the Forum.

You are amongst a good many customers with Smart Meters where data is no longer being displayed in a position where it was previously.

For the benefit of OVO’s Engineering Team, I gave a synopsis of the reported faults here on another Topic a month ago.

In your cases, it is very unlikely that there’s anything wrong with your IHD, and even more unlikely that it has become “unpaired” with your Communications Hub.

You can’t actually resync it. That can only be instigated by someone at OVO… and is probably unnecessary.

The Moderator @Tim_OVO is keeping track of Forum Topics that mention such data losses so that the relevant OVO personnel can be alerted.

Fortuitously, I also experienced a loss of Smart Meter data last month, about 3 weeks after others were highlighting the issue. I’ve emailed OVO with a detailed explanation of what is wrong, and specifically requested that my report is forwarded to the Programming Team in London.

If your symptoms change, please post here again. (And I’m not referring to Coronavirus!)

And @Bart Somsen if your Comms Hub is the most common SKU1 type, then it doesn’t have a Mesh Network anyway. So that indicator LED should be off.

Please ask again here if you’d like me to clarify that.

Userlevel 4

@Transparent Many thanks for taking the time to respond,

I have seen the other reports of lost connection to the IHD, but I couldn’t find a resolution or outcome to this issue.

I know OVO as with other energy suppliers are aware of the issue, but is it a case of reporting it directly to OVO as a case by case issue, or is the resolution just sit back & hope  for a firmware / data transport fix.

TIA

Tom...

Userlevel 6

It’s good for us to get an idea of how many members this is effecting, @TomThumb, pop the team a message via webchat through the Help Centre, they’ll be able to confirm and record the issue. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4

@Amy_OVO  Thanks for the clarification & lie do that now.

Tom...

Hi @Bart Somsen and @TomThumb and thanks for posting here on the Forum.

You are amongst a good many customers with Smart Meters where data is no longer being displayed in a position where it was previously.

For the benefit of OVO’s Engineering Team, I gave a synopsis of the reported faults here on another Topic a month ago.

In your cases, it is very unlikely that there’s anything wrong with your IHD, and even more unlikely that it has become “unpaired” with your Communications Hub.

You can’t actually resync it. That can only be instigated by someone at OVO… and is probably unnecessary.

The Moderator @Tim_OVO is keeping track of Forum Topics that mention such data losses so that the relevant OVO personnel can be alerted.

Fortuitously, I also experienced a loss of Smart Meter data last month, about 3 weeks after others were highlighting the issue. I’ve emailed OVO with a detailed explanation of what is wrong, and specifically requested that my report is forwarded to the Programming Team in London.

If your symptoms change, please post here again. (And I’m not referring to Coronavirus!)

And @Bart Somsen if your Comms Hub is the most common SKU1 type, then it doesn’t have a Mesh Network anyway. So that indicator LED should be off.

Please ask again here if you’d like me to clarify that.

Thanks, much appreciated and first line support were not able to solve it yet over the phone. Now been escalated to 2nd line support. According to them it is actually a pairing issue in my case. Fingers crossed it will be resolved in the next 48 hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the update @Bart Somsen And I’m unsurprised that Customer Services couldn’t resolve this. It needs the attention of the SMETS Engineering Team.

I still think it’s too easy to dismiss this as “a pairing issue”.

Have a look at this other Topic about an IHD displaying the incorrect time. The response from the engineer @BenS_OVO   here is  illuminating.

He didn’t attempt to re-pair the connection between the IHD and the Comms Hub.

The fault fixed itself purely by using the SMETS Command to read data. That shouldn’t have “fixed” anything. By definition, the pairing must have already been working in order for the XREAD command to have prodded that IHD back to the correct time.

If OVO persist in “solving” each data-failure individually, then we’ll never get to the bottom of what’s going wrong.

One or more software faults is causing all sorts of data paths to break. It’s of no help just to keep restoring them one at a time.

Userlevel 4

I’ll repost my post here - originally sent under my own title “IHD3 V8.1 stopped updating”, now @Transparent  has pointed me to this thread.

My IHD3 version 8.1 installed last year has been working fine after lots of initial smart meter upgrade problems we have talked about in other threads. Then suddenly yesterday it started rebooting with the message  “waiting for current data” followed by “connection lost”. 

I have tried switching it off and on and putting it very near the meters, but no change.

Could someone at OVO say whether there has been some sort of system upgrade (which often breaks things), or whether it is likely to be a local problem, needing a new IHD, or even a new smart meter - heavens forbid, again!

I looked at my OVO usage page and see my hourly electricity stopped on 31st May at 4:30pm, and daily gas on 30th May.

I’ll poke @Tim_OVO as well so he is aware.

My IHD is still waiting  for current data with a flashing wireless symbol.

Tony

Userlevel 7

Thanks @tony1tf - I’ll make sure our mod of the day @Amy_OVO knows about this, and will take a look later today! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And please head over to the discussion on Refining Fault Reporting

We need to find better ways to report faults that are affecting multiple customers.

Hello @Transparent  @Tim_OVO  @Amy_OVO 

I’ve been having the same issues as most people here. Since Thursday last week my IHD has been flashing waiting for data, with a flashing connection icon. Every few minutes it also reboots itself. I’ve tried the usual turn it off/move it closer to meter to no effect.

My meters also seem to have stopped sending data to ovo, since from the same day there hasn’t been any data received according to the app.

Similar to others here I had some issues when it was first setup but have had smooth running for at least 6 months….up until now! Any suggestions? Do I need to phone support to log it or is posting here enough?

Userlevel 4

HI all

This is to let you know that the IHD is working again today, and is showing yesterday’s history as well.

Thank you OVO if you did something to fix it.

Tony

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And the problem with this is that none of us here have any idea if a remedy has been implemented solely for @tony1tf ‘s site, or whether the programmers have at last detected an underlying fault and fixed it for good.

Every day I open up the Tabs for the Forum pages, dreading that someone else is going to be reporting “missing data”. :cry:

Userlevel 4

Hi @Transparent et al

We are waiting for explanations from @Tim_OVO et al about what was the cause of this outage. Even if there isn’t a clear cause, yet, let us at least hear what OVO have been doing about it. I fully support @Transparent ‘s desire to have better feedback from OVO.

My IHD still working, with full daily  history showing, although the electricity usage page on https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com is only showing daily readings to 28th May, and 30 min readings to 4:30am 31st May. One bit of updating doesn't seem to know what the other bits are doing ;-)

Tony

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for that news about you having missing electricity data on the Online Account page, @tony1tf 

Several of us are experiencing the same issue. See the discussion between @Jeremy19 and I during the past day over here.

I have the half-hour (HH) electricity readings still continuing right up to last night, in contrast with yours stopping at 04:30 on Sunday 31st. But, like you, neither Jeremy nor I have the daily readings from which the Billing calculations are done since 28th.

You will note that I believe there are errors in the protocols (or data format) being used by the new Billing System to pass mass commands to DCC using Utiligroup’s uSmart software.

Of course, we have no idea whether the programming team are already aware of this and investigating it. And that’s what makes error-reporting so frustrating at the moment. We’ve been discussing “missing data” on the Forum since mid-Feb and we still don’t know how many underlying faults are the cause of this, nor which ones are in the process of being fixed.

Userlevel 4

Hello all.

An overnight powercut  restores function to my IHD & turns my dumb meters smart again.

Having all ready posted about my IHD loosing communication with my smart meters at the beginning of May & the smart meters not sending readings to OVO, I can confirm that an overnight powercut  has restored full functionality back to the IHD & the my OVO account is already showing the smart meter reads for today.

It looks like I had 2 drops overnight that lasted about 3 minutes each, 

None of the status lights on the smets2 have changed, even when they were dumb & the IHD was not connected, all communication lights were still showing a full comm’s link, with no fault.

Only time will tell if the data link holds up. 

I’m guessing a soft reset / reboot of the smart meters due to the powercut brought them back to life.

I hope my info is useful for those who are looking into these IHD & smart meter issues.

Tom...

Userlevel 4

Hi @TomThumb 

That's an interesting observation, and gives another tool. I posted long ago about holding down the power button on the IHD for long enough for it to do some sort of reset, but now we can try turning off the mains for a few minutes to reset the meter and communication hub.

Tony

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Very interesting observation @TomThumb 

But I have serious reservations about the suggestion from @tony1tf that a customer should attempt to interrupt power to their Smart Meters!

Cycling the power on the IHD would be safe and acceptable. But it will have no effect on the loss of data being transmitted from the Communications Hub. In fact several of us have reported here over the past 6 months about having such limited success in restoring the HAN by this method.

There is no safe way to interrupt power to the Electricity Meter. Nor would it be legal to do so because it would require breaking a seal.

Nor can the Comms Hub be reset with breaking a seal, and that only runs off 12v DC.

However, @TomThumb ‘s observations do suggest a test which could be undertaken by OVO for the many of us who are reporting various forms of data-loss on the IHD.

What about adding a “soft reset” command to the end of the sequence when the meters are polled each note to retrieve the usage data?

Since this wouldn’t flush data out of memory, there doesn’t seem to anything to lose by attempting such a strategy. Let me just tag @BenS_OVO here to make sure he sees this discussion. If the SMETS Engineers can regain access to their Test-Lab, they could give it a trial there first.

Userlevel 4

Just in case this is relevant or merely a coincidence, my OVO account / Usage has also changed from a simple monthly graph, to an extensive year / week / day / hourly view with a Price - kWh switch,  altho there is no actual usage data I guess that’s because my meters have been dumb for several weeks.

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If the look and feel of your My OVO site has changed, then that’s because you’ve been migrated across to the new Billing System.

If the User Interface is the same, but you’ve now got a £/kWh switch and a daily line graph, then that’s because OVO have recently fixed something. See recent posts on this Topic about the £/kWh switch.

Historic data will be brought across for customers migrated to the new software, even if it’s only manual readings supplied by you. But some customers are reporting issues with data going as far back as 2015.