Solved

Why do the half hourly electricity meter readings on my In Home Display (IHD) not match what I see on my online account's daily usage?

• 16 September 2020
  • 9 replies

I am a pensioner so work pattern not affected by Covid-19 however my usage this year is higher than previous years so I have been checking my Monitor readings at different times and find that when I cross check the readings I have taken with the readings recorded on my ovo account the ovo ones always appear to circa 10-11% higher yet the final days readings concur. Any ideas as OVO just told me to believe the final reading for the day as they would. I am worried they add a daily surcharge on the usage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Transparent 21 September 2020, 10:29

Oh… I’d hoped you were going to confirm first whether I’d actually correctly understood what you’re reporting here, @Ted1941

OK. Let me offer an explanation of what I think is happening within the Usage Graphs we see in our Online Accounts.

The new Billing System is operating solely on the difference between the meter readings taken at midnight on successive dates. This is displayed on the monthly histograms we see.

The 48 half-hour (HH) figures are retrieved from the relevant memory locations in our Communications Hubs and used to generate the line-graphs we can see. But these graphs are drawn from raw data and not correlated against the daily total. Thus you will sometimes see HH graphs that are technically impossible:

Since OVO’s contracts do not yet include a Time Of Use tariff, the HH data, and graphs derived from it, fall outside the scope of Ofgem’s remit to audit accuracy. After all, no billing is derived from those figures.

I haven’t ever seen OVO staff claim that these HH figures are accurate.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Ted1941 the meter readings should be aligned at just after midnight each day (or very close) as billing system updates around midnight daily.

What isnt shown in the smart meter is the daily standing charge (a few pence).

You can always press 9 on your actual meter to get the absolute number OVO will see. (Assuming this is a smart meter setup!)

Happy to explain why manual ones won't align mid month if its not a smart one! 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @Ted1941 

Please see @Jequinlan’s advice about daily meter readings, and standing charges. 

I posted a Billing and charges guide yesterday, and copied a bit of it below. It shows the daily breakdown of electricity and/or gas charges:

If you have half hourly meter readings via a smart meter you can also click into the kWh link for that day so see exactly when you’ve used energy.

@Ted1941 can you confirm if this is what you’re doing, clicking on the kWh link and comparing it with the readings shown on the In Home Display (IHD)

Can you confirm if you have a SMETS2 smart meter? This will help us work out which IHD you have

What I am doing is checking the reading on my in house monitor at various times like 2200 at night then checking in the morning what the final reading was and the usage varies by as much as 10 - 11%. Either my in house monitor is lying or the final reading is being manipulated. Not sure what smart meter I have got but will go and check. Liberty 100. Type E1S0B1 SN: 17P0172807. Doesn’t mean a thing to me. IHD is Pipit 500 PMR000-Z25 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

HI @Ted1941 you should be able to go onto your online account and look at the half hourly details, If you are taking reads around 22:00, then approximately 10% of the day (2hrs) is actually left before the approximately midnight smart billing period for those day’s charges. You will be able to see a detailed breakdown that may give you this information. There’s a guide on the online charges and billing here

Hope this helps! 

What I am saying and the help desk also ignore this is that the reading I take at 2200 and the reading at Midnight which is the end of the day and the same period adding up the half hourly readings on the OVO account are different by circa 10% which makes me suspect that an adjustment is being made at the end of the day. I will continue to do checks. If there is a simple explanation ok but no one has told me. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can I just check that the “readings” we are discussing here are kWh and from the electricity meter (not gas)?

Secondly, although I realise, @Ted1941  that you’ve added up the half-hourly readings to arrive at the total for the day, have you compared this with the figure which OVO themselves present for the day’s usage?

Or in diagram form…..

And isn’t that what OVO’s Customer Services are trying to tell you?

If so, then I do have an explanation :slight_smile:

Well tell me the explanation then and don’t leave me in suspense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Oh… I’d hoped you were going to confirm first whether I’d actually correctly understood what you’re reporting here, @Ted1941

OK. Let me offer an explanation of what I think is happening within the Usage Graphs we see in our Online Accounts.

The new Billing System is operating solely on the difference between the meter readings taken at midnight on successive dates. This is displayed on the monthly histograms we see.

The 48 half-hour (HH) figures are retrieved from the relevant memory locations in our Communications Hubs and used to generate the line-graphs we can see. But these graphs are drawn from raw data and not correlated against the daily total. Thus you will sometimes see HH graphs that are technically impossible:

Since OVO’s contracts do not yet include a Time Of Use tariff, the HH data, and graphs derived from it, fall outside the scope of Ofgem’s remit to audit accuracy. After all, no billing is derived from those figures.

I haven’t ever seen OVO staff claim that these HH figures are accurate.

Thanks for that. I am still concerned that my usage is higher than normal but will use other methods of checking why. For instance checking my meter at different intervals. Bit of a pain and would be easier if my IHM gave me the real time meter readings. Thanks for your help. Have a nice day.