Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) showing incorrect prices - why?

Good morning.

Ever since I've had my Smart Meters installed, my IHD has definitely been showing incorrect rates, even if you take into account that it shows VAT and My Ovo doesn't.

How do I get this corrected on the IHD so the estimated spend figures in £ are correct?

Under Electricity on the IHD the tariff is 'NEWENERGY' and Gas is 'Ovo Variable'.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 May 2017, 13:32

Updated 26/02/2020

Hi @samwatling

There's a few elements to this query, but I've tailored the topic title so that other users with an IHD price query can find it and see my response.

The tariff name shown on the IHD doesn't match with that shown on My OVO, but the prices should. As you mentioned, the In Home Display will show your prices including VAT, and your My OVO page doesn't, but if your unit prices and standing charges are different by more then 5%, we might need to check that it's linking up correctly. If that's the case, send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or webchat via the Help Centre.

As for that estimated bill screen, this doesn't link up with the bills on My OVO, and will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change. As a result, I'd suggest you disregard this screen and look online for your account billing. There's a topic about this estimated bill screen that you might want to check out here.

Hope this helps,
Tim

View original

78 replies

Userlevel 1
A word of warning to OVO customers who have had a new Smart Meter installed - check your gas & electricity rates under Account Info on the IHD. My rates were incorrect and did not match what I signed up to. As a result the cost of energy usage on the IHD were much higher than expected. Not what you would expect from OVO as a new customer is it? After firing off a couple of emails it was established that the wrong rates had been uploaded to my IHD, causing the problem.

OVO have now sorted the issue and all is well. It pays to check these figures out. After all, the IHD is there to help us keep check of what energy we're using, not giving misleading and false info.
I am a returning customer to Ovo with their own commissioned smart meters. My In Home Display has now reactivated but the tariff showing is 16.540p for electricity and 3.650p for gas.

My "Welcome to Ovo" email listed my rates as 15.14p & 3,63p respectively.

I wondered why there was a difference in the rates and what will my bills be based upon?

In the end I emailed Ovo and had a response - because I am still in the early stages after my transfer, my IHD would update once the whole switch process was complete, my changeover meter readings validated, etc. It could take anything up to 6 weeks, but all bills would be based on my notified rates, not those shown on the IHD.
Tim, thanks for your prompt response. I've sent you a PM - mine are definitely out by >5%.
@Lucy_OVO
I think I have the same issue, I've posted another query as I couldn't find this at the time. Does it mean I need some manual changes to apply my tariff correctly to the new IHD?
Userlevel 5
Hi,

I had the same problem when I signed up. There is no way to change the IHD manually.

There seems to be some sort of IT problem which OVO are aware of. See the post from @sjh21 https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/new-customer-can-i-have-instructions-for-the-ihd-794

You can either email customer services or sent a private message to @Tim_OVO with your details to get your IHD tariff updated.
Userlevel 5

Hi @Gravs, welcome to the forum.
We have definitely had reports of this problem before from other users.

The solution seems to be to message OVO via the Help Centre or contact them on social media.

I had gas & electricity smart meters fitted about a week ago. I have noticed that both the gas & electricity unit cost settings on my IHD are different from my 2 year fixed cost tariff rates so that the usage readings in £'s are incorrect which appears to defeat part of the objectives of the smart meters! My tariff rate for electricity is 12.44p/kwh (incl VAT) whereas my IHD is showing 13.87/kwh and for gas my tariff rate is 2.69p/kwh whereas the IHD shows 3.07p/kwh. The standing charges shown are correct. Can these rates be corrected so the IHD shows the correct usage in money terms?
Hi Nancy

My gas metre doesn't have a key pad, I was told that it's a new model by the guy that fitted it. Also I don't belong to Facebook and have no intention of joining.

I have received an email from Craig, one of your colleagues, to tell me that the issue with the IHD is information from your side that needs updating but that was over a week ago and I've heard nothing since!! So I'm still none the wiser.My gas metres still doesn't show a reading and it's taken nearly a fortnight for a response about that.

I continue to be unimpressed.

Regards
I am a returning customer to Ovo with their own commissioned smart meters. My In Home Display has now reactivated but the tariff showing is 16.540p for electricity and 3.650p for gas.

My "Welcome to Ovo" email listed my rates as 15.14p & 3,63p respectively.

I wondered why there was a difference in the rates and what will my bills be based upon?
Userlevel 6
I'm sorry to hear that, @Sallyr80.

It sounds like you have a second generation (SMETS2) meters. We've got a dedicated team that look after the maintenance of this new roll out. If you give the team a call on 0330 303 5063, they'll be able to chase this up for you.

It might be helpful to have a read of @Transparent's post here, which documents his experience of having a SMETS2 meter fitted.

Cheers
Userlevel 6
Hey @RobOwen - I've moved your topic over here where you should be able to find the info you need.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @rayrickard . There are two separate issues here.

A. depending on how "new" is your Smart Meter, it is likely that it doesn't yet have your tariff data uploaded to it. See what I wrote about that here on another Topic.

B. there is a known bug in the software which your In-Home Device (IHD) uses to calculate costs. See this post and below for an explanation.

OVO are working on the problem. It's up to the manufacturer of the IHDs to resolve it, however.
Hey @gloann

I’ve moved your query to another topic which answers your estimated bill query. Please take a look at Tim’s ‘best answer’ at the top of the page.

Smart meters are free of charge and having them fitted won't have a direct effect on your costs - but it will make your billing more accurate. So, if you weren't giving us regular meter readings before and we were estimating your usage to be lower, the new smart meter readings will update your account.

Although there is no cost to run the smart meters, you will be paying a daily standing charge that covers the costs of the pipes and power lines that carry gas and electricity into your home.

You also referred to a graph showing inconsistent energy use, could I confirm where you are looking at this?

Thanks,
Emily
I have changed my plan from variable to fixed but our energy usage display still shows us on the the higher variable rates 36 hours later. When will the correct pricing be set?

Hoppity

Hi @Hoppity

I've moved your post over to an existing topic which best answers your query. For more information please have a look at Tim's 'best answer' at the top.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Just had smart meter installed 2 hours ago. The engineer said tariff will be updated automatically from default within next 20 minutes, this hasn't happened. Was she being optimistic?

Hey @manicbikeman

Just a heads up - I've edited your topic so other users can find it easily if looking for the same answer.

If the tariff still hasn't updated on the IHD, send us a message via FacebookTwitter or webchat via the Help Centre, so we can check.

If it has updated since posting this topic, please can you let us know how long it took or if you had to do anything?

Thanks,
Emma

Hey @anthb72 and @dan_brown

I've moved your queries over to this topic as all the answers are here!

In short, if you send me a PM with your full name, DoB and account number I can take a look into this for you and get the rates corrected.

Thanks,
Emma
Hi Emma

Thanks, I raised it via email yesterday and it's all sorted now - the display is now showing the rates as per my contract.

Thanks

Anth

Glad it's all been sorted, @anthb72 😃
Hi. 25 days ago I sent a pm with all my details asking why there were differences between the tariff prices on my documentation and those on the IHD and the usage page on the website. 17 days ago I was informed by Tim, it was all being sorted and to allow 48 hours for the difference to be corrected. My Gas tariff on the IHD is now correct but the Gas tariff on the website is still incorrect. the Electricity tariff on both the IHD and website are still incorrect. If you are going to promote your services by allowing an accurate and up to date cost of energy so I can determine where I am wasting money, can you please ensure your equipment give accurate information. How many more days do I have to wait for the correct tariff to be displayed on the IHD and the website?

Hi @Gary04

I'm sorry this still hasn't been sorted for you. If you could drop us a message on our Facebook or Twitter page, we'd be happy to look into this further.

Cheers,
Emily
Hey @Kickboxingboy and @spudonhill

I've moved your queries over to an existing topic. Just take a look at Emma's 'Best Answer' above for more advice.

Cheers,
Emily
Hi. I have submitted all my details about this via a private message through this forum to Tim. Not happy to discuss this further on an open page via facebook or twitter. if you state I need to contact you via the dm on twitter or messenger on facebook, whats the difference to the private message I have already sent to you via this forum

Hey @Gary04

Tim's picking up your PM now so you'll receive it imminently!

The reason we recommend customers to contact us on Facebook or Twitter with their details is because we'll get back to them quicker. Just to reassure you, if you did PM us on Facebook or DM us on Twitter in future your details would remain private.

Thanks,
Emma
By plan details are;
Electricity:12.20p/kWh
Standing charge:27.40p/day
Gas:2.55p/kWh
Standing charge:27.40p/day

However, after switching to smart meter I appear to be getting charged the below rates;
Electricity:15.06p/kWh
Standing charge:28.77p/day
Gas:3.23p/kWh
Standing charge:28.77p/day

Any help to get this rectified would be much appreciated.

Hey @Kurt

I've moved your query over to an already existing topic on this issue.

If you send us a message on Facebook or Twitter we can look into this and update the In Home Display (IHD) with the correct rates for you.

Thanks,
Emma
Userlevel 7
@Lucy_OVO
I think I have the same issue, I've posted another query as I couldn't find this at the time. Does it mean I need some manual changes to apply my tariff correctly to the new IHD?

Hi Siobhan55

If you have the same issue it sounds likely, if you send over your details to Lucy as she advised above via a PM, she can take a look for you and try and resolve it.

Thanks

Darran
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the response but it doesn't answer my question. I am on Better Energy and the monitor still has me on the variable plan - confirmed by both the code name for the plan and the VAT inclusive prices for the West Midlands. So the question still stands, when is my meter going to update to reflect my current plan?

Hoppity

It looks like we might need to manually change this for you @hoppity. I’ve sent you a PM so I can look into this further for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Hi there, stumbling through the tutorial and general button pressing I've established that the daily standing charge and the price per kWh are both wrong on my display, This means the daily usage costs are always going to be wrong.

Can I change this or does it get sent to the device from OVO?

My contract was renewed on 12 August and my smart meter installed on the 4th September so I expected it to be correct.

Thanks in advance. Siobhan

Hey Siobhan55,

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think you’ll find Tim’s response helpful.

If you need the Mods help for anything else, just let us know.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Good morning,
I have a smart meter called secure that just keeps adding up my monthly totals, I thought I would be able to see the totals of both the gas and electricity as the month progressed, surely there must be a meter that can tell me what I am using as the month progresses?

Regards
Davy Lumsden

Hey Wee Davy,

The estimated bill section on your In Home Display will keep clocking usage, but to view how much you're using each month, please go to the 'History' section on your In Home Display.

Lucy