Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) estimated bill isn't resetting - is this right?

60d3cfdc-988b-43ef-9830-6781d07ef7d9.png

I had my smart meter fitted and everything has worked great so far. The only problem is that after about a month the electricity estimated bill reset to £0.00 to start calculating for a new month. So far though, the gas just keeps increasing. My bill online is all fine and my direct debit hasn't changed but it's frustrating to not be able to work out what my gas bill will be for the next month. Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?
Thanks

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 May 2017, 11:19

View original

67 replies

Userlevel 5
Am afraid I do not know what to suggest, as my smart meter displays a running total for both gas and electric, neither one has ever reset when we enter a new month so am not sure whether it is supposed to reset or not.

Hopefully someone from OVO can clarify this.
Thanks for your reply.
I think I was a bit unclear in my original post. My electricity reading on my smart display reset to £0 about a month after it was installed, not on the first of a new month. I presumed that it would do that for both so I could see what my next bill would be.

This was on the ovo display unit I got from the engineer, not on the actual meters.

I am hoping someone from Ovo can clarify it!
same here, and not happy. My former supplier, BG, had a smart meter that showed amount as is, directly. Mine, since Feb 14, has been showing estimated, although I have been told this is actually 'accurate'.

Get it sorted guys, I want accurate info not guesswork. I also have never had a 'reset' .........................
SMART Metering - wireless, and today a man arrived to read it, stating he had to do it as its not accurate-What -Please remove it and I will go back to a manual read meter!!!!
Not happy.
come on ovo get it sorted or you will be in breach of contract and I'll have to move on
The mineral world, for instance, is utterly unaware of the world of man and cannot comprehend it, but the ignorance of a thing is no proof of its non-existence.
Userlevel 5
come on ovo get it sorted or you will be in breach of contract and I'll have to move on

Hey elbmek,

Are you referring to your smart meter itself or the In Home Display (IHD)? It sounds like you’re referring to your IHD but I just want to check.

On the IHD, the estimated bill section won’t reset. However, you’ll be able to see your usage for the day, week and month under the ‘History’ section. Please refer to this to see a breakdown of your usage in £ or kWh.

Maybe some other users can share their experience of this to help you too?

Lucy
Hi Lucy
I was referring to the in home display unit. Looking at the monthly usage isn't that useful when trying to keep tabs on your next bill, as the billing period isn't from the 1st of the month.

My electric estimated bill reading did reset to £0 after the first month, but the gas is running on. The screen that says your estimated bill for next month is therefore completely wrong.

Will this be addressed on these display units?
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Hi Lucy
I was referring to the in home display unit. Looking at the monthly usage isn't that useful when trying to keep tabs on your next bill, as the billing period isn't from the 1st of the month.

My electric estimated bill reading did reset to £0 after the first month, but the gas is running on. The screen that says your estimated bill for next month is therefore completely wrong.

Will this be addressed on these display units?
Thanks

Hey Lindsey138,

That’s the first time I’ve heard of the bill resetting so I’m not sure what happened with that.

It’s something the team are aware of but I don't think there’s going to be an immediate change anytime soon as I don't think it would be straightforward to do. It may be the case that we look into different In Home Displays (IHD) to see if there’s a more suitable appliance but again, I think this is more longer term.

Even though it’s not ideal, checking your usage via the ‘History’ tab and your statements will be the best way to keep track of your usage.

Lucy
i'm getting exactly the same problem on my IHD. My electricity resets to zero each month so gives me an easy to see indication of where I am up to. £31 for the month so far. My gas doesn't and so it's at £315. very frustrating, I thought the whole point was to encourage green usage and being able to monitor our usage in a simple and straightforward way - clicking into my history every time isn't simple and straightforward....
Userlevel 7
i'm getting exactly the same problem on my IHD. My electricity resets to zero each month so gives me an easy to see indication of where I am up to. £31 for the month so far. My gas doesn't and so it's at £315. very frustrating, I thought the whole point was to encourage green usage and being able to monitor our usage in a simple and straightforward way - clicking into my history every time isn't simple and straightforward....

I can appreciate how this estimated bill screen might be useful. Sadly the current In Home Displays are unable to link up with your My OVO bills. So the electricity costs won't match up even if it does reset every month. For accurate monthly costs, refer to those statements and My Usage data in My OVO here: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

Here's a great page showing you how to get the most out of your In Home Display: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html. Also, we're working on a great new In Home Display, which is coming later on in 2017, so watch this space!

Tim
Userlevel 7

Updated on 15/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

This default estimated bill screen on your Pipit In Home Display (IHD) doesn't necessarily match your monthly billing cycle. This figure can't be reset manually but will reset after a tariff change, so when you renew, or with a price change if you're on the Simpler Energy plan. Think of it as a ‘Total usage since last tariff change’ figure. 

If you’re looking to check your current monthly cost the best place to head is the ‘Billing’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). This will update daily if you have your smart meter set to send us a reading either daily or half hourly. If you would like to update the reading schedule of your meter to allow this, contact our Support Team to request this change.

The advice above relates to the Pipit IHD, if you have a Chameleon IHD see the guides below for more help with these:

SMETS1 Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) guide

SMETS2 In Home Display (IHD) guide

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

I recently received and installed my in house smart meter, however after a few weeks I am confused by the Est. Bill on my dual fuel readings. So what are these and how are they calculated?. They appear to increase day by day.
Regards AlexofNorwich
Userlevel 7
I recently received and installed my in house smart meter, however after a few weeks I am confused by the Est. Bill on my dual fuel readings. So what are these and how are they calculated?. They appear to increase day by day.
Regards AlexofNorwich

Hi @AlexofNorwich

I've moved your query over to a topic on this very same subject. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for all the info you need.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I had my smart metre installed a few days ago. I've notice that overnight my estimated bill goes up even though i've been asleep and certainly not using any gas... is this because the standing charge is added daily onto my bill or do i need to expect an additional charge and then figure out if im leaking gas somehow?
I had my smart metre installed a few days ago. I've notice that overnight my estimated bill goes up even though i've been asleep and certainly not using any gas... is this because the standing charge is added daily onto my bill or do i need to expect an additional charge and then figure out if im leaking gas somehow?

Hey @EAnd

I've moved your post over to an existing topic on IHDs and estimated bills - just have a look at Tim's 'best answer' above. Essentially the estimated bill refers to the amount of energy you’ve used since the hub was connected to the meter - this will only ever be an estimated figure.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Why does the amount you owe not reset after payment been received
Hi since my Smart meters were installed the estimated bill has just increased each day despite having two statements in the meantime. Is it possible to reset this every statement?
The internal display works well and i can see when usage is high. However, I am unable to get any decent indication of my estimated bill because the totals are not zeroed when my meter is automatically read. Is there anyway that it can start afresh when the date is taken by OVO.
Userlevel 7
Why does the amount you owe not reset after payment been received

Hi @loulou76

I've moved your query to another topic on this issue. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on this estimated bill display.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Hi since my Smart meters were installed the estimated bill has just increased each day despite having two statements in the meantime. Is it possible to reset this every statement?

Same as above, @Radar64 - check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on this estimated bill screen.

Tim
Userlevel 7
The internal display works well and i can see when usage is high. However, I am unable to get any decent indication of my estimated bill because the totals are not zeroed when my meter is automatically read. Is there anyway that it can start afresh when the date is taken by OVO.

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) @Enfield Paul 🙂
Hi,

Could I ask why Utilita and Economy Energy had last year the option of showing balance left real time on the IHD and one year later you are still not capable of doing so?! And to obtain some useful knowledge, at what point later in 2017 are you (if of course) planning to catch up with the other companies? Thank you in advance!

Borislav
My Secure Pipit 500 Smart meter appears to show only the cumulative amount since installed. Can it not show the amount for the current month instead so that I can compare month by month?
Mine too, was told it would settle but its just the same.