Solved

Can the Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) show my readings?

• 30 December 2017
  • 6 replies

180e6a91-53e8-48ab-a212-7808172db483.png

After two years of trying to make the smart meters communicate in Cumbria, Lowri Beck recently installed an IHD so that I can send my readings in monthly (the gas meter is impossible to read unless you are a limbo dancer!). However the gas reading is given only in KWH. I cannot find anyway to give this kind of reading on the OVO website. Can you tell me how to do this please?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 January 2018, 14:56

Lowri Beck recently installed an IHD so that I can send my readings in monthly.... However the gas reading is given only in KWH.

Good question here @kesvic,

This Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) will show your gas meter reading in kWh. To get this, bring up the menu screen by tapping OK. Tap Meter Information.

Cycle between electricity and gas using the utility button to check your meter readings. You'll need to convert this before submitting it on my OVO by using the Calorific Equation (which you can find on your statements) as your My OVO account will need the reading in m3 rather then in Kwh.

The reading in m3 is available on the meter itself, but I appreciate you’ve already mentioned this is difficult to get to.

Tim

Updated 05/05/2020

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Lowri Beck recently installed an IHD so that I can send my readings in monthly.... However the gas reading is given only in KWH.

Good question here @kesvic,

This Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) will show your gas meter reading in kWh. To get this, bring up the menu screen by tapping OK. Tap Meter Information.

Cycle between electricity and gas using the utility button to check your meter readings. You'll need to convert this before submitting it on my OVO by using the Calorific Equation (which you can find on your statements) as your My OVO account will need the reading in m3 rather then in Kwh.

The reading in m3 is available on the meter itself, but I appreciate you’ve already mentioned this is difficult to get to.

Tim

Updated 05/05/2020

thanks. however, if I take the reading on IHD 00030010.820 and use the formula in reverse as you say the answer is 2661 and not 2674 which the meter shows. Where am I going wrong?
Userlevel 7
thanks. however, if I take the reading on IHD 00030010.820 and use the formula in reverse as you say the answer is 2661 and not 2674 which the meter shows. Where am I going wrong?

Variances in the 'calorific value' might explain the difference between the readings @kesvic - see number 22 on this page for more info: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/how-do-i-read-my-ovo-payg-statement.html.

Tim
I don't understand.

27 days ago Emma_OVO told me (in another thread - sorry not sure how to reference) that the Chameleon IHD3 will not show me the gas usage in cubic metres, now Tim_OVO says that it does. Why the difference in opinion?
Userlevel 5
@random_number

Really sorry for the confusion with this. I’ve amended Tim’s initial reply as the Smart support team have confirmed that the Chameleon will show the reading in kWh not m3.

The only way around this is to do the conversion each month to enter the reading on My OVO however, if you have a smart meter that we can communicate with, then you shouldn’t need to enter the readings. If we aren’t able to communicate with the smart meter, this is a bit of a different ball game.

I’d suggest sending the Social team a private message on either Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and OVO account number so that the team can help you with this further. Alternatively, you can contact our Customer Care team via phone or email and their details can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers.

Lucy
Thanks that's really helpful I will PM the Facebook team and ask for help