Solved

Why is my Smart Meter showing I used £28 this morning?

Hi. We had our smart meter fitted yesterday and it’s showing we’ve used £28 today & this was first thing this morning. Should it reset every day as our British Gas one did ?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 14 April 2019, 20:05

Hi @HayleyB - Somerpark is right. When your Smart Meter is installed it doesn't already have any data on your tariff. In fact, this is almost the final stage of a commissioning and testing process which will last about 6 weeks.

I've written a lot more about this here on another Topic, which I suggest you read.
View original

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Ignore the cash display for now and probably for several weeks, it is total rubbish. It will eventually be corrected once you are able to view your usage on your account.
For the moment concentrate on the KWhs used today, that should be accurate. About 8 or 9 KWh of Electricity for the "average user"
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @HayleyB - Somerpark is right. When your Smart Meter is installed it doesn't already have any data on your tariff. In fact, this is almost the final stage of a commissioning and testing process which will last about 6 weeks.

I've written a lot more about this here on another Topic, which I suggest you read.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @HayleyB - did you get a second generation smart meter fitted? Does it look like the one in the topic @Transparent linked you to?

If so, we're aware of a couple of bugs with IHDs linked to SMETS2 meters, and we're looking into a bulk fix for these currently.
Yes that’s the meter we have. It’s showing £60 for today!
Userlevel 6
Badge
@HayleyB - rest assured that's incorrect and we're currently working on getting this fixed.
Userlevel 1
@HayleyB - rest assured that's incorrect and we're currently working on getting this fixed.

Hi @Nancy_OVO

Good to see OVO acknowledge this issue and are working on it.

Is there any possibility that OVO could make their awareness of this bug a bit more obvious and visible?

I'm in the same boat* as @HayleyB but it's taken me quite some effort to find this post. These crazy figures are really quite anxiety provoking and I'm sure there will be others who have been feeling similar.

I know it's a big ask but perhaps an email to those of us who've had these pieces of equipment installed that are likely to be seeing this issue would likely go down a treat, alleviate much concern, probably save on customer service rep time, and would be in line with the really rather impressive customer service experience I've had the privilege of experiencing from OVO.

Kind regards
Julie

*I believe my kWh meter readings are probably correct, and the tariff the IHD has its exactly right, but the maths behind the displayed costs are waaaay out by about a factor of 10, i.e. not even nearly kWh * cost per kwh + standing charge, and yes the smart meter readings are registering on my OVO etc and it's been a month since installation.
hi. my new smart meter display is showing wrong figures on the used today screen.
it says i have used 2.78kwh, but the cost is £6.55.
i have worked it out at £0.655
is there any way of getting it to display the right figure?
Userlevel 2
Badge
That's a great idea, @jewelie.

I'll pass that on to the relevant team, hopefully we can get some sort of formal communication out to those with SMETS2 meters to put their mind at ease.

Thanks,
Ed
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi @rayrickard - I've just moved your post over here as there some useful info!

Thanks,
Ed
Userlevel 1
Disappointing to see a thread about the incorrectly high usage cost on the IHDs from a month or so ago showing as Solved, when it’s not solved. There was no mention of it following my install 5 days ago by the engineer, or from OVO in a follow up communication, meaning Ive been be wasting time fiddling with the IHD and wondering if we have a dodgy smart meter.

These devices are meant to make meter readings related hassles a thing of the past, but the IHDs coming out of OVO still have this bug, more customers will therefore be having their time wasted and/or be worried 🙄
Mja I totally agree. I have been waiting WEEKS for this problem to get 'solved' and it is far from solved! Nothing has been done to help me, my IHD still shows usage of around £15 of electricity per day due to the ludicrous tariff price settings that I cannot change on my IHD. I am constantly contacting OVO about this and they tell me they are still looking in to it and fob me off with different answers each time. I’m sure some member of the OVO team will soon be on here to post some quick answer about it being fixed soon and it’s some bug or some other rubbish but either way it is far from solved. I am furious with this and it completely defeats the point of having a smart meter with an IHD.
I actually wonder how many customers are considering switching supplier purely down to this colossal disaster OVO are having with their SMETS2 IHDs....
Userlevel 5
We'd like to look into this for you, @bperry306, there could be an issue with the IHD or an issue with the meters themselves - there's a few things we can do to determine this but we'll need access to your account.

Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number. if you don't use social media, send the team ab email on hello@ovoenergy.com.
Userlevel 1
I’m sure for some people it could well make them want to change @bperry306 , issues can always happen, it’s how they’re handled that counts and I would have bet money Ovo would have accepted there’s an issue with the IHD and dealt with it by proactively keeping customers informed while preparing a fix, but doesn’t seem that way. I’m on the very good 2 year fix that ends September and the IHD issue aside have been a contented customer (having come from EDF, then BG), but sadly a quick check of the mse cheap energy club comparator indicates that unless something changes, new Ovo deal will not be anything like as competitive, so the smets2 meters may well be handy quite soon.