Solved

Why is my smart meter display now showing “waiting for current data”?

Show first post

77 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, so we were in the smug “my SMETS2 installation and IHD are working really well” camp for the first month or so (installed 30 Aug) but as of 2300 last night 9 Oct, we have joined the “how can I live without an IHD that just cycles through waiting for a data and having to do manual readings” team.

Prior to this we were in full SMETS2 techno joy with all aspects working as advertised and accurate data matching across all elements and our bill.

There was no obvious trigger for it going wrong after 40 days. First indication was the IHD cycling through waiting for data. Reset of that didn’t change anything.

checked the meters outside. Gas appeared normal, forced a wake up to see if the gas meter and IHD would connect. No joy but interestingly the wake up did seem to generate a second automated reading of gas on the OVO app?? (Is this possible with the master electricity smart meter down? @Transparent )

electricity smart meter not so happy. As I have put in the thread On SMETS2 installation we have the big standard south west setup for areas with good connectivity. Lights were flashing at normal rate but the symbol showing HAN connectivity is missing

my partner called the smart meter help line, But despite trying to provide detailed observations to aid diagnosis we got the Boiler plate response.

”this happens”, “they often lose connection” “give it two weeks” “provide a manual reading and then call us back if it hasn’t reconnected itself”

something to provide feedback on @Amy_OVO ?

hmmmm. SMETS2 developing self repairing and recovery technology. Perhaps my day job has made me too sceptical but I don’t think this is going to fix itself.

tomorrow I plan to go and press lots of buttons and see if I can provoke it back into life.

gut feeling assessment: something has gone wrong with the HAN comms element of the electrical SMETS2.

I will update what happens and if I a) find a way to recycle or reset the meter to working or b) meter becomes self aware and fixes itself or c) ovo do something to fix it I will let everyone know what our route back to techno joy was!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Update 11 Oct. after 36ish hours of the IHD auto cycling through on/off cycles it has reconnected to the gas meter (as per above post the gas SMETS 2 looked fine and normal when interrogated).

this also means time on the IHD is back (previously stuck on 00:00)

however, no electricity information in any menu, no instantaneous usage (electricity only) under ‘NOW’ or the RAG lights.

this supports my gut feeling in the previous post that IHD and gas meter are fine but that the fault is in the comms element of the electricity meter.

my previous understanding was that gas didn’t communicate with the mobile data network but passed through the electricity meter.

we are still getting auto gas readings but not electricity, which suggests the electricity meter is still Connected to the gas meter and still passing gas inform on over its 3G connection to the system, but is not passing its own information or talking to the IHD???

@Transparent how is that happening?

as noted above the HAN symbol and signal strength symbol are Completely missing from the electricity meter display.

more information. Gas confirmed still working but still no progress on what’s happened to electricity meter or how to fix it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
just Noted a comment in a previous post. Our IHD has never worked unplugged. (It would last 5 or 10 minutes but no longer). Checked the instructions and nothing to say whether its meant to be able to operate stand alone or for how long.

what do other people do / get out of their IHD?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Wow... that's a lot of feedback @So much for subtlety !

@BenS_OVO are you reading this?

Yes, I agree that the predominant fault lies within code in the Communications Hub. However, OVO have to be very careful about downloading an update to this.

As my site was available for code-testing, I received 2 or 3 successful code upgrades (on the 2nd Communications Hub I had installed), but then the next upgrade failed. As a result, the IHCI to the electricity meter and the Zigbee link to the gas meter both failed. (IHCI = Intimate Communications Hub Interface; photo here)

If that happens there's no way back because any code upgrades rely on the Communications Hub working in order to propagate them to the two meters and the gas-proxy.

Because of this, it is inevitable that the statistics will show a higher failure rate on Comms Hub than is actually true.

Turning the matter of your IHD; I've had two previous units, and I have two here now. I've only ever needed to have them unplugged for 30mins or so at a time, and the batteries sustained power throughout.

I have experience of purchasing similar (LiPO) batteries from manufacturers in the Far East, and they exhibit a wide range of capacities!

And in response to @Actongrumpy - I have discussed signal boosts with OVO's SMETS2 Team. In fact one of my gas meters had symptoms which suggested that the signal intensity was low, and I used a Zigbee Repeater in various mid-way positions for about 10 days to no great effect.

The situation resolved itself once I had different code running in the Comms Hub. The 14 metre direct line between my semi-concealed gas meter and the Comms Hub passes diagonally through 5 concrete block walls, three of which have a cavity.

In conclusion, I don't think the distance you are experiencing on your site has anything to do with the signal strength being a problem.

It's more likely that communication could be re-established by OVO sending a "Zigbee initialise" command to your Comms Hub with the prospect of the Gas Meter switching to a different channel.

For further information, read this other post where I described the Zigbee channels and possible clashes with WiFi.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Some good news and hopefully something to give other posters to this thread with problems some hope.

48 hours after the electricity meter lost its HAN connection and the IHD started cycling through start up constantly all of the data and functionality has returned to normal.

so my scepticism in my first post was not justified and the the problem was indeed self correcting or corrected over the air by the central system!

is this how an over the air update of software manifests itself?? Or was this a bug that has self corrected?

if this really is either a) a common fault occurrence that self corrects or can fixed over air Or b) what will happen when there is a major software update; it would be really useful for that to be published on the OVO website under frequently asked questions or troubleshooting. Or even included in the user manual.

either way we have returned within 48 hours to techno joy and a fully functioning system, so happy ending for us.

happy to try and answer any questions other people have with issues if you think I can help.
Hi
My Chamelion IHD will only show the electric currently being used and says "Elec data unavailable" and "Waiting for current data". There is no data or readings for the gas meter at all. I have checked both the elctric and gas meters and they are both indicating that they are connected to the WiFi and HAN. The IHD shows that we have a good mobile signal but no WiFi. Talked with customer services (bit of a waste of time) who confirmed that they are seeing both meters okay.
Believe I may need to re pair the IHD but engineer did not leave us with any info on this!

HELP
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for sharing the good news @So much for subtlety.

There isn't enough information for us to know how this "fault" got sorted. It is indeed exactly what I've experienced when code has been downloaded into my SMETS2 set-up. So the possibilities are:

a. There is a watchdog running within the code somewhere which initiates attempts to restore communications without external intervention. If this were so, however, I feel it should've manifested itself on the Comms Hub with the relevant indicators displaying the medium-flash pattern.

b. There is a fault-detect script running at OVO which looks for SMETS2 sites that deliver no data to the BOL for more than one consecutive night. This could either auto-send a SMETS Re-initialise command, or alert an engineer that one is required.

c. Someone (possibly @BenS_OVO) has read what you've posted here and sent a software update to your site.

d. Coincidentally, a software update was propagated to a number of SMETS2 sites, either by OVO or one of the hardware manufacturers. This had the side-effect of causing your system to re-initialise itself as the new code booted.

e. It's a miracle.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I’m going for e.

or f. SMETS2 has become sentient, has connected to Skynet and is fixing itself before planning the downfall of the human race after concluding we are not worthy based on our energy use
I'm having exactly the same problem with the display just restarting forever and not connecting. Was installed last week and worked fine for a few days. Ovo actually told me my display was faulty and sent me a new one by courier today. As soon as I called up to get it connected the new unit started doing exactly the same thing. Anyone got any advice on where to go from here?
Userlevel 5

There’s a few people in the same boat with this issue, @DaveDalby. If the team have confirmed there isn’t a communication issue, then it sounds like the IHD’s data needs to be updated.  This will be done remotely in the next few months.

Userlevel 1

Wow... that's a lot of feedback@So much for subtlety !

Yes, I agree that the predominant fault lies within code in the Communications Hub. However, OVO have to be very careful about downloading an update to this.

As my site was available for code-testing, I received 2 or 3 successful code upgrades (on the 2nd Communications Hub I had installed), but then the next upgrade failed. As a result, the IHCI to the electricity meter and the Zigbee link to the gas meter both failed. (IHCI = Intimate Communications Hub Interface; photo here)

If that happens there's no way back because any code upgrades rely on the Communications Hub working in order to propagate them to the two meters and the gas-proxy.

Because of this, it is inevitable that the statistics will show a higher failure rate on Comms Hub than is actually true.

Turning the matter of your IHD; I've had two previous units, and I have two here now. I've only ever needed to have them unplugged for 30mins or so at a time, and the batteries sustained power throughout.

I have experience of purchasing similar (LiPO) batteries from manufacturers in the Far East, and they exhibit a wide range of capacities!

And in response to@Actongrumpy - I have discussed signal boosts with OVO's SMETS2 Team. In fact one of my gas meters had symptoms which suggested that the signal intensity was low, and I used a Zigbee Repeater in various mid-way positions for about 10 days to no great effect.

The situation resolved itself once I had different code running in the Comms Hub. The 14 metre direct line between my semi-concealed gas meter and the Comms Hub passes diagonally through 5 concrete block walls, three of which have a cavity.

In conclusion, I don't think the distance you are experiencing on your site has anything to do with the signal strength being a problem.

It's more likely that communication could be re-established by OVO sending a "Zigbee initialise" command to your Comms Hub with the prospect of the Gas Meter switching to a different channel.

For further information, read this other post where I described the Zigbee channels and possible clashes with WiFi.

Thanks for that info., it’s very interesting.  Back in September OVO said they might be able to activate the gas meter remotely, (presumably by sending a Zigbee initialise command), but nothing has happened since.  The fact that you appear to be living in a German bunker and the signal from the gas meter can still reach the hub gives me hope, (no disrespect intended).  I read your post on the Zigbee channels and checked my router settings. The channels listed are:- 2.4GHz - channel 11 and 5GHz - channel 36, (channel choice is set on auto).  I know nothing about routers and WiFi but, if channels 1 to11 have been allocated to WiFi, what am I doing on channel 36?  Have you any recommendations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You don’t need to worry about the channel used for WiFi operating at 5GHz @Actongrumpy. That frequency is well away from the 2.4GHz bands used for both WiFi and Zigbee.

I don’t know how close you live to other houses with WiFi, but if they’re within range, then Zigbee with be auto-hunting to avoid them too.

You can download a Smartphone App like WiFi Analyzer which can display a graph showing all the 2.4GHz bands around you. Instead of allowing your router free choice, it’s best to choose a channel that’s different to your neighbours.

Having static channels will also mean that Zigbee can then settle on a stable frequency which keeps it clear of WiFi.

There’s 10 days left for the Public Consultation on Smart Meters being run by BEIS.

Perhaps you’d like to join me in making a few sensible suggestions, such as:

1. When SMETS2 gas meters are being commissioned, they should have a set-up mode which communicates every 30 secs instead of 30 minutes. That means the installer can actually test the gas meter link whilst still on site.
  2. SMETS2 Zigbee devices should all be set to one of channels 15, 20, 25 or 26 by default when first sent to Energy Suppliers for installation. This means they will power-up on frequencies which avoid any possible clash with nearby WiFi.

These are basic software changes, and will cost naff-all to implement.

I’d also like SMETS2 gas meters to have dual-band Zigbee communications, like the Comms Hubs have. The lower-frequency 800MHz has better penetration through walls. However, that will incur extra costs for manufacturers like Uniflo, who will rightly state that they are already supplying a product which complies with the agreed specification.

If you do submit comments to the BEIS Consultation, feel free to direct them to any relevant Topics on this Forum. You don’t have to stick to any official format, like the commercial respondents will do.

My IHD3 has worked perfectly since installation in the summer. On returning from being away for a couple of days, it has stopped displaying any readings. The display shows the flame and electric icons, but has no coloured bars of usage and  - -  - - is showing to the right. Underneath it reads: ‘waiting for current data’ and the wifi icon is flashing. 

I have checked the electricity meter and the WAN light is flashing intermittently as it should be (both lights are). 

I have tried to reset the display by switching it off for 10 seconds, but there is no change. 

Any advice, gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Louise

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @L.Wood - I’ve moved your post over here where other users have been discussing the same issue. More info above :point_up_tone2:

Thanks for the replies above...
however, tried the reset and no change to IHD...... still “waiting for current data”
Any other suggestions?

…..

I have the exact same issue. 

@AndyTaylor

,@Barnabee &@Actongrumpy, we had a similar topic on this so i moved your posts over here! 👋🏽

Have you all got SMETS2 meters? If you have, there's a known issue affecting them. A fix is being remotely rolled out now so the issue will be resolved soon.

We'd be happy to check this is the case, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

If you've got SMETS1 meters this may indicate we're not communicating with them, so you would need to get in touch so we can do a smart meter health check.

*Removed by mod* - I have the same issue. Fine for 3 months, then WAN/ HAN fine flashing intermittently. Just not showing any data.  My meter is a IHD3- PPMID-CAD

@AndyTaylor

,@Barnabee &@Actongrumpy, we had a similar topic on this so i moved your posts over here! 👋🏽

Have you all got SMETS2 meters? If you have, there's a known issue affecting them. A fix is being remotely rolled out now so the issue will be resolved soon.

We'd be happy to check this is the case, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

If you've got SMETS1 meters this may indicate we're not communicating with them, so you would need to get in touch so we can do a smart meter health check.

I do not have the SMETS - I have the IHD3 -PPMID- CAD2.3 - what do I need to do next?

*Removed by mod* - I have the same issue. Fine for 3 months, then WAN/ HAN fine flashing intermittently. Just not showing any data.  My meter is a IHD3- PPMID-CAD

Userlevel 5

Get in touch via Facebook or Twitter, @L.Wood, or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. 

Thank you for getting touch.

I was advised by OVO to return the In House Display as it was malfunctioning; a replacement would then be sent out. The faulty equipment was returned to OVO at Bristol 23rd August 2019 and I have spoken to OVO Customer Services several times to progress the issue.

I am still waiting for a replacement. Without the IHD it’s impossible to monitor and regulate gas and electricity consumption accurately and effectively.

So far, the transition to smart meter has been a great disappointment. This is a poor reflection on the OVO team and a bad advertisement for home energy conservation.

Userlevel 1

Wow... that's a lot of feedback @So much for subtlety !

And in response to @Actongrumpy - I have discussed signal boosts with OVO's SMETS2 Team. In fact one of my gas meters had symptoms which suggested that the signal intensity was low, and I used a Zigbee Repeater in various mid-way positions for about 10 days to no great effect.

Hi transparent, 

I sent your suggestion to OVO and got the following reply.

I have spoken to our SMETS2 team here and they have advised that Zigbee is only used by first generation smart meters. Second generation smart meters like yours use radio waves to communicate.   The issues you are experiencing are a result of your meters not being commissioned properly and as such we will need an engineer to attend your property to rectify this.     What do you make of it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sorry @Actongrumpy - I only just spotted this post of yours from 18 days earlier…

I think whoever wrote this to you from Customer Services hasn’t got enough appreciation of  what this technology consists of. They certainly haven’t understood the response given to them by OVO’s SMETS2 Team!

Zigbee is radio wave communication. To be precise it’s radio waves in the 2.4GHz band.

What has changed in the second generation (SMETS2 meters) is that Zigbee Repeaters are not an approved/authorised part of the installation. That’s why OVO will no longer supply them.

I often test things that are unapproved or pre-release. That means I will occasionally mention things here which can assist in identifying a problem, but can’t actually be implemented by OVO’s engineers themselves.

So the conclusion that you require a site visit from OVO is indeed correct, even if the technical explanation provided by CS fell somewhat short of the mark!

This morning the HD was reading yesterday’s energy use value. After we came back from shopping, the meter was showing ‘’Waiting for current data” and has been like that ever since with clock at zero and Wifi symbol flashing. What can we do?

Userlevel 5

I’ve moved your query over here, @101320859, there could be a communication issue which is why you’re seeing this message. if it’s not a communication issue the problem is with the IHD.

I’d recommend emailing the team on hello@ovoenergy.com so they can investigate this! :)

I contacted OVO by phone today because it became apparent later that the problem was with the smart meter - not communicating with OVO or with iHD, as you suggest. Apparently weak signal in spite of an aerial already fitted.

Userlevel 1

Sorry @Actongrumpy - I only just spotted this post of yours from 18 days earlier…

I think whoever wrote this to you from Customer Services hasn’t got enough appreciation of  what this technology consists of. They certainly haven’t understood the response given to them by OVO’s SMETS2 Team!

Zigbee is radio wave communication. To be precise it’s radio waves in the 2.4GHz band.

What has changed in the second generation (SMETS2 meters) is that Zigbee Repeaters are not an approved/authorised part of the installation. That’s why OVO will no longer supply them.

I often test things that are unapproved or pre-release. That means I will occasionally mention things here which can assist in identifying a problem, but can’t actually be implemented by OVO’s engineers themselves.

So the conclusion that you require a site visit from OVO is indeed correct, even if the technical explanation provided by CS fell somewhat short of the mark!

Thanks for the info.  I’m not surprised that you think Customer Services don’t know what they are talking about.  They have given me all the excuses under the sun and now have resorted to blaming the engineer who fitted the meter last April.   Before Christmas they promised to send an engineer early in the New Year.  Like an idiot I forgot to ask them which New Year.  I’m not holding my breath.

Even OVO’s meter reading instructions are nonsense.  My statement date is the 8th of the month but they say that the best time to read the meter is the 27th, “ To avoid estimated readings.”