Solved

Why is my Chameleon IHD not connecting to SMETS2 meters?

Smart meters upgraded today, engineer provided me with a new Chameleon IHD.
All working fine, then had to leave the house for a few hours, forgot to plug the IHD in...
Came home, IHD dead.
Plugged in, started up, just displays "Waiting for data" persistently.

From looking around the rest of the forum I've tried 'resetting' the unit (although I'm not sure if that actually worked), I've tried deleting the settings on the unit, and I've connected it to my home wifi network as well.

It's showing a strong signal for both the HAN and my home wifi. It updates the current time on the display from "00:00" after powering on so I'm assuming it's connecting to something and receiving data.
The SW, WAN, HAN & GAS lights are flashing green on my communication hub so I believe they're fine too.

Any help gratefully received!
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 18 July 2019, 11:33

Hi @Ropes

Can you post a photo of what you can see on your IHD screen?

It might need reconnecting, for which you'd need to call the team on 0330 303 5063.

Cheers
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Ropes

Can you post a photo of what you can see on your IHD screen?

It might need reconnecting, for which you'd need to call the team on 0330 303 5063.

Cheers
This is almost certainly not an IHD issue, it sounds like an issue with the communications hub.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Thanks for the insight @ACGTS98, it'd be great to get a picture or any info on progress with the IHD @Ropes, let us know how you're getting on 😀
I'd try resetting the ihd which entails basically going near to the electric meter with ihd turn it off (hold on off button for 7 seconds) then turn back on (press Once) and wait for a min while still next to electric meter then maybe will be functioning OK
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great tip there, @Tufty71, is there any update @Ropes?

Let us know!
No effect. Last contact from OVO was that a firmware update was coming "early August".
Just tried resetting again now, no change.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Same issue here too. IHD has never displayed anything of use apart from the time. Tried all suggested fixes. Photo:

Would be helpful if we had a date for a fix and that there is a record being kept by OVO of all the customers with this fault.
Userlevel 5
We'll need to check whether there's a communication issue with the meters, @Barnabee, or whether this is an issue with the IHD.

Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media, send the team an email on hello@ovoenergy.com.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Eva, I have previously reported this problem by phone, by email and on this forum. Will contact OVO again as you suggest but to be honest am not expecting anything other than being fobbed off.

Think I may just take the £60 hit on terminating my contract early and move to another supplier. Sorry but I have lost faith in OVO customer service. A customer needs a much more proactive approach to reporting a problem rather than having to wait in case the fault rectifies itself.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Barnabee I'm so sorry you feel this way, I can appreciate it's frustrating to be told to wait for the resolution.

We'd love to help, if you're happy to send us another communication, we'll be able to have another look, and hopefully we'll be able to get everything working as expected.

Thanks,
Ed
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you Ed. Have emailed in along with a request to check both my meters which for the last 4 days have not recorded any meter readings being sent.

If there was a way of going back to manual meters I wouldn't hesitate.
Userlevel 3
Badge
After supplying the help desk with more information and a few photos, my meter readings are now showing again this afternoon.

Will check if my usage information works on the OVO app tomorrow.

Have now given up on the IHD. Am going to wrap it up and open it again on Xmas morning. Frustrating time but glad some things back online
Userlevel 5
Badge
Glad to hear we're part way to a resolution, @Barnabee, thanks for keeping us updated!