Solved

Why do my plan and IHD rates not match?

• 19 May 2019
  • 8 replies

Just had a smart meter installed, and the IHD is showing crazy costs! I understand that the IHD costs do not reflect calculations done by OVO, but still this needs to be fixed.

If i look at the tariff on the device it states (these are not correct for my plan):
Electricity 16.18p / kwh, 28.77p daily
Gas 3.48p / kwh, 28.77 daily

But when I press the home button the calculations do not make sense:
Electricity: 9.57kwh used today £18.39
Gas: 25.38kwh used today £0.89

Looking at the calculated costs it is clear that there must be a bug in the calculation for the electricity.

I would like to know how OVO are going to fix this bug? Recall? Or can they update the devices remotely?
icon

Best answer by Emily_OVO 22 May 2019, 15:36

Hey @boydy.

When customers have a smart meter installed, we suspend their billing for 4 - 6 weeks just while we make sure all the information we use to calculate their statements are correct. The reason I mentioned this is that during this period there can be a period during which the monetary amount or unit rates displayed may be inaccurate, as we won't yet have loaded the correct tariff on to your meter.

Rest assured that this will be resolved before your first statement, and in the meantime the actual kWh usage figure will be correct. You can find more details about this here.

Hope this helps!
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
It takes time for the correct prices on your contract to be transferred to your IHD, from memory I think it was about four weeks, just be patient, it will update
Even if the prices are updated to be correct I don't see how that is going to make a 10 fold decrease in electricity. 16.18p is only like 1p off the actual rate.

In any case I will wait 4 weeks maybe when the prices are updated it will run through a different part of the software, although I am sceptical.

I would recommend the manufacturer of these devices tests their software a little more thoroughly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey @boydy.

When customers have a smart meter installed, we suspend their billing for 4 - 6 weeks just while we make sure all the information we use to calculate their statements are correct. The reason I mentioned this is that during this period there can be a period during which the monetary amount or unit rates displayed may be inaccurate, as we won't yet have loaded the correct tariff on to your meter.

Rest assured that this will be resolved before your first statement, and in the meantime the actual kWh usage figure will be correct. You can find more details about this here.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 1
Disappointing to see a thread about the incorrectly high usage cost on the IHDs from a month or so ago showing as Solved, when it’s not. There was no mention of it following my install 5 days ago by the engineer, or from OVO in a follow up communication, meaning Ive been be wasting time fiddling with the IHD and wondering if we have a dodgy smart meter.

In the fiddling with the IHD I can see that the tariff, standing charge and use in kWh is correct, but the calculated daily, weekly, monthly, yearly cost, is miles out, makes the budget feature useless too.

Can’t understand why OVO would be more proactive with newly installed IHDs continuing to roll out to its customers. Whether it’s a case of a remote update/sync correcting it after a while or it is a bug in the IHD, customers are none the wiser, ironic really when these install should mean we’ve entered a world free of meter reading hassle and vastly improved energy use monitoring 🤥
Userlevel 6
Badge
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, @Mja. As Emily mentioned above, it can take up to 6 weeks for the new meters to be linked to your account, and the information on the IHD synced.
Userlevel 1
@Nancy_OVO a clear explanation is all that’s needed, sorry to be critical but it feels like standard replies are being provided that are not getting to the specific issue of the IHD’s calculated cost being the only error, in which case the suggested solution of waiting for 6 weeks for a sync to take place may not be relevant.

If that really is the correct technical answer fine, but as I and others have said a few times, the tariff, standing charge and current use in kWH information in the IHD is fine, the only problem we’re referring to is the cost, the assumption being that is calculated by the IHD, in our case incorrectly and therefore showing a misleading display.

So, are you able to answer this question? If the tariff, standing charge and the kWH used are all correct, but the calculated cost shown on the IHD is incorrect, is this a fault with the IHD or is this something that will be fixed after this 4-6 week syncing with accounts process?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Mja,

It should be fixed once you've had your first smart bill, which will arrive within 4 to 6 weeks of the smart meters being installed.

Thanks
Hey @boydy
We have the same problem with our IHD. It has now been 8 weeks since installation and I have had my first bill and this has not resolved it (as suggested above that it should). Like you, the tariff info on the IHD is correct, but the electricity cost that is displayed is about 10x what it should be. The figures on MyOVO are correct, so the smart meters are transmitting to OVO OK. When my IHD was first being paired with the electricity meter, the guy from the SMETS2 meter team told me that there was a known firmware problem with the Chameleon IHD3 and they are awaiting a firmware update from the supplier of the IHDs. Give OVO a call and ask for your name to be added to the list they are compiling of customers who's IHDs have this issue (ask to speak to the SMETS2 meter team - they know about it while the general customer services agents don't!). When I last contacted them a couple of weeks ago, they said that they had been expecting the firmware update to be available by the end of August, but that they hadn't yet got it and this date may have to be extended. I have an email stating this. Hope this helps.