Solved

Why are OVO advertising one In Home Display (IHD) and yet installing another?

• 19 November 2017
  • 1 reply

I moved from British Gas at roughly the same time as my sister and Mum; when we switched to Ovo from BG. I booked to have the Smart Meter replaced with Ovo's for the reasons covered in other topics. Both Mum and Sister got the modern black, Home display unit with a colour display .

All went well with my installation until I took a closer look at the Home display unit later the same day. It is out of the ark!

The only useful readily to me is how much energy I am using (in £ and p) for that day. Now the best I can achieve is to see a black and white visual representation of what I am using per hour v my target. Even to read the actual cost I have to get really close to it.

I also have to reset the display options every time - because the display reverts back to what appears to be a standard screen of what my 'bill' will be - in small print that you cannot read from more than a yard away (It doesn't even say what time frame the bill covers (weekly, monthly quarterly?) It is neither use nor ornament to me.

When I log in under 'My Ovo' a much better display unit is still advertised - and the image shows precisely what I want to see - daily usage of both Gas and Electricity on the same screen in £ and pence.

So I emailed to ask for the unit to be swapped to the one being advertised.

The reply read as follows: -

"Unfortunately we do not stock the monitor that your mum has received as they are limited stock given by the engineers.
If the engineer has provided you with the white monitor it is because this is all they had left.
Even though you both have signed up at the same time, we cannot guarantee that you will both have the same devices and we cannot request the black monitors as it is subject to availability."

I am really unhappy now now because I want the unit that is advertised. Surely it is misrepresentation to advertise one thing and supply another?

Thanks for reading.
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 22 November 2017, 22:01

Hi Sue,

The newer black device was on a limited trial, and seems to be appearing on more and more installations. I have the same one as you if it is the PipIT device and agree its pretty rubbish. Many seem to end up in a drawer (it doesn't need to be connected for your smart meter to work).

This thread has more info:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/when-is-the-new-chameleon-in-home-display-ihd-being-made-available-558

It has been mentioned that there might be an upgrade path for existing users of the Pipit device, but there are no clear details from OVO yet. I guess it will cost a lot to send them out to everyone!

I moved to OVO because of price over anything else as they were offering a 2 year fix. While the IHD is annoying, it isn't a deal breaker for me.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Sue,

The newer black device was on a limited trial, and seems to be appearing on more and more installations. I have the same one as you if it is the PipIT device and agree its pretty rubbish. Many seem to end up in a drawer (it doesn't need to be connected for your smart meter to work).

This thread has more info:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/when-is-the-new-chameleon-in-home-display-ihd-being-made-available-558

It has been mentioned that there might be an upgrade path for existing users of the Pipit device, but there are no clear details from OVO yet. I guess it will cost a lot to send them out to everyone!

I moved to OVO because of price over anything else as they were offering a 2 year fix. While the IHD is annoying, it isn't a deal breaker for me.