Solved

When is the new 'Chameleon' In Home Display (IHD) being made available?

Badge

4 months ago, Community Moderator, Tim, announced that OVO was actually working on a new In Home Display Unit. They were being tested....... He also said "watch this space!".

Has OVO started to install these new units yet please?

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 9 August 2017, 11:11

Hey @Himmm and @Rooty

The good news is that for new smart meter installations, we are now supplying the new IHD in limited numbers to extend the trial we were running previously.

As this is a new piece of tech, they are only available in limited numbers while we ramp up supplies, so won't be available just yet for customers that have already had smart meters installed and have the previous version of IHD.

As and when this changes in the future, we will of course let our customers know! We don't want to disappoint anyone but need to ensure they are doing the job we expect to support our customers first rather than just rushing them out to everyone!

Darran
View original

61 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Any updates on any upgrade paths for PipIT users to Chameleon, either paid for, or free? @Nancy_OVO, @Lucy_OVO, @Darran_OVO

Last we heard there wasn't... and my PipIt is still gathering dust in a kitchen draw.

With the migration to the new OVO smart meter online experience can we expect any developments in the area of IHDs and Real-time usage monitoring?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I have just been offered a new smart meter to be purchased at the price of £28.

Do people think it’s worth purchasing?

Hey deyoung50,

OVO fit Smart Meters for free if you don't already have them. Check out your account on the website, you should see a banner at the top of the homepage advertising them.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Within a couple of years I would expect IHDs to have changed radically.

To cater for Demand Side Response whereby customers can configure parameters to buy/sell energy within variable half-hour tariffs, IHDs must evolve to offer an intuitive user-interface which facilitates the setting of those user preferences.

When we're comparing the likes of Pipit and Chameleon, it is analogous to discussing the features on early digital mobile phones. Now that SMETS2 meters are starting to be deployed, the "smartphone equivalent" IHD must soon emerge to match the meters' capabilities.

I have no idea whether each Energy Supplier, like OVO, will still attempt to provide their own basic IHDs, or whether the likes of Samsung, Nokia and Huawei will enter the market and offer IHDs which work seamlessly across all Suppliers. The simplicity of the user-interface is critical. It has to permit sensible default-settings and basic operations which can be undertaken by customers who are barely IT literate.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Personally I think the IHD is an interesting device for about 5 minutes and then is not worth bothering with anymore. What I really want is a simple method for downloading the real time usage from the website (csv file?). Currently I have to manually record usage into a spreadsheet.
Me too!
I have just been offered a new smart meter to be purchased at the price of £28.

Do people think it’s worth purchasing?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @MadArgy. We're currently providing the new Chameleon IHD with all new installations of smart meters, and as replacements for any faulty Pipit IHDs. Due to stock levels, we can't replace all existing working Pipits with a new Chameleon right now.
Hey @Bluebeard06 - I've moved your query over to an existing topic on IHDs. Please take a look at Darran's 'best answer' for more information. ^Emily

Emily, the “best answer” is from a trial that was running over a year ago. Is there any official OVO update to this?

Thanks
Hey @Bluebeard06 - I've moved your query over to an existing topic on IHDs. Please take a look at Darran's 'best answer' for more information. ^Emily
This device is so useless I am wondering if (when?) I can get an update. Even if I need to buy it. My pipit defaults to showing just the est annual bill for electricity (we don't have gas). This is a pretty useless figure and doesn't agree with the Ovo estimate when you log on. Some of the other pages are a bit more interesting but time out back to the useless estimate in a couple of minutes. Now I have solar I would also really like to see the export figure but of course it doesn't show that. I have heard some people have a more useful display but don't know how to get it...
Userlevel 4
Badge
Personally I think the IHD is an interesting device for about 5 minutes and then is not worth bothering with anymore. What I really want is a simple method for downloading the real time usage from the website (csv file?). Currently I have to manually record usage into a spreadsheet.
Userlevel 1
I see some data has come back but it looks like funny data to me, having quite a few days the exact same output and when you look at the other data you see actually only 1 day is used.
Im told that correct data is reaching OVO but thats no good to me.
If you'd like to send me the newer IHD rather than the pipit500 then maybe i could get the data from that rather than the website.?
Userlevel 1
I agree with Woz099 my online monitoring is running 4 days behind, sometimes if you click backwards and forwards the day one works, its like shaking a clock to work.
I have told OVO a couple of times and they always say the same were working on it.

The stand alone unit does not give enough information.
SHOCKED at the loss of online monitoring - if OVO don’t do something to either reinstate that provide me a Chameleon to assess then I will be leaving!
Prices have crept up too - may as well pay BG and get the features I want!
Hi K1ano
I am one of the many with the pipit waste of space IHD, anyone know when I can have the Chamelon replacement?. I was fooled into thinking that was what I would get when I moved from British Gas to OVO, BG had a proper IHD that permanently displayed your usage. The Ads for OVO all showed a very similar device, But when i switched and got my new smart meters I was given the pipit, .

I feel well misled!!

Yep almost the same issue as me originally, I agreed to have a smart meter on the basis I would get the IHD in the promotional material and as described in the manual and documentation given to me on installation - I did eventually get one to be fair, but it wasn’t easy at all !!!

thanks for the reply, how did you manage to get them to set you up with a chameleon? who is best to contact do you think?
I am one of the many with the pipit waste of space IHD, anyone know when I can have the Chamelon replacement?. I was fooled into thinking that was what I would get when I moved from British Gas to OVO, BG had a proper IHD that permanently displayed your usage. The Ads for OVO all showed a very similar device, But when i switched and got my new smart meters I was given the pipit, .

I feel well misled!!

Yep almost the same issue as me originally, I agreed to have a smart meter on the basis I would get the IHD in the promotional material and as described in the manual and documentation given to me on installation - I did eventually get one to be fair, but it wasn’t easy at all !!!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Jetsets - I've moved your post over here where you should be able to find the info you need about the new and old IHDs.

Nancy

I feel well misled!!
When my SMART meter was installed I was given a Pipit 500 despite the manual given to me the online information and marketing showing the Chameleon.

For me the Chameleon IHD type was the reason I agreed to a SMART as there were no other tangible benefits to me as a consumer.

As a result I kicked up a fuss and was eventually provided with the Chameleon IHD which is far superior in overall benefits. As th Pipit was still connected at the time I am fortunate enough to have two IHDs connected to my HAN - which is a value add for me too.

I have read other threads where consumers are looking to add their own purchased IHD/CAD devices to their HAN and it seems OVO are reluctant to allow or help - though it also looks like they are obliged to support the requests.

M
Userlevel 4
Badge
The Chameleon IHD3 can be left powered up and, in my case, is sat next to the tv as it’s a nice looking unit. The display is clear and the colour display informative. The LED illuminates red when on high demand so is a good indicator. The IHD also transmits real-time information to the OVO app via your home WAN so can show useful information in and away from the home.

The Pipit 500 is terrible in comparison. As a secondary display it has its uses as you can have more than one IHD on your HAN if OVO enable this for you.

M

Blimey, that's exactly what I've been waiting months and months and months for.

Come on OVO, for goodness sake, offer a route where customers can request this new tech.
The Chameleon IHD3 can be left powered up and, in my case, is sat next to the tv as it’s a nice looking unit. The display is clear and the colour display informative. The LED illuminates red when on high demand so is a good indicator. The IHD also transmits real-time information to the OVO app via your home WAN so can show useful information in and away from the home.

The Pipit 500 is terrible in comparison. As a secondary display it has its uses as you can have more than one IHD on your HAN if OVO enable this for you.

M
Userlevel 1
Im actually tempted to turn mine off as i get the info i need now from the website. I presume turning it off wont make a difference apart from using electric its self?
Regarding the display from OVO. Looks dated and not useful. We had a smart meter from British Gas for 6 months before moving to OVO. The British Gas display looked good and was on displaying the usage and we were happy with it. Since we got the OVO display we have looked at it twice and since then it has collected dust. So whether you think - British Gas provides a display that looks got, is easy to use and was useful. Just a pity that we can no longer use it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello there :)

Hope this is not a daft question but why are you disappointed with it?

Is it something to do with features by any chance?

If I can help I will be more than happy :)

Best wishes,

Tristan 🙂
Hi, beyond disappointed with the Ovo IHD we received when our smart meter was installed a year or so ago. Anyone know how I get a better one, other than moving to British Gas!
Userlevel 1
i wonder if next generation IHD will do what i want, ive played with the hourly use etc but its time consuming if your doing it every day.
The only thing the smart meter is excellent at is sending data to the provider and the consumer not having to read the meter every month - just my opinion.