Solved

When is the new 'Chameleon' In Home Display (IHD) being made available?

Show first post

61 replies

Badge
Hellooo Tim.....are you there?
Userlevel 4
Badge
I don't understand why anyone would want an IHD after the first week of novelty value. Once you have figured out and noted roughly how much energy each appliance uses, you really need to check historical data to see whether you are making reductions in your energy use. Seeing historical data you can start trying to understand usage, how much electricity is used for a night in front of the tv, and cooking a Sunday roast for instance. And most importantly what you forgot to turn off before going to bed at night, or before going away on holiday!
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Delboy, I've found it easy enough to change my monthly payment in the past and get some of the credit refunded. But I'm happy to leave some of the credit with Ovo because, to be honest, where else can you get that interest rate on it?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Personally I think the IHD is an interesting device for about 5 minutes and then is not worth bothering with anymore. What I really want is a simple method for downloading the real time usage from the website (csv file?). Currently I have to manually record usage into a spreadsheet.
Me too!
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. I'm sure many other users stuck with the 90s technology present in the current in home display 😃 would be similarity interested.

A follow on question would be: And how do we get our hands on the new display?!
Userlevel 4
Badge
The Chameleon IHD3 can be left powered up and, in my case, is sat next to the tv as it’s a nice looking unit. The display is clear and the colour display informative. The LED illuminates red when on high demand so is a good indicator. The IHD also transmits real-time information to the OVO app via your home WAN so can show useful information in and away from the home.

The Pipit 500 is terrible in comparison. As a secondary display it has its uses as you can have more than one IHD on your HAN if OVO enable this for you.

M

Blimey, that's exactly what I've been waiting months and months and months for.

Come on OVO, for goodness sake, offer a route where customers can request this new tech.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi, try changing your DD to less than OVO recommend, it won't allow it.
My estimated usage for 12 months is just over 1000 pounds, so why did OVO change my DD to 140 pounds/month? when I tried to reduce this via the web site it would not let me.
After a phone call and advising them that I was over 500 pounds in credit they agreed to put the DD back to where it was and said it was the software that decides DD's so they couldn't guarantee that after 3 months it wouldn't be increased again.
We are all grown ups here and are more than capable of working out what our monthly payments need to be to pay our bills, however, OVO trust in a computer program that does not work correctly but they follow it blindly and don't seem able to do simple maths and use common sense. Even when it's pointed out to them.

As for the 5% interest that I do get by the way, I see it as little value as only 1000 pounds can be "overpaid" so it's only providing pennies in reality.
If your with OVO because of the interest reward then I suggest you talk to a financial advisor after all OVO sell power and are not a financial organisation and nor are they pretending to be.

Cheers, Delboy.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Any updates on any upgrade paths for PipIT users to Chameleon, either paid for, or free? @Nancy_OVO, @Lucy_OVO, @Darran_OVO

Last we heard there wasn't... and my PipIt is still gathering dust in a kitchen draw.

With the migration to the new OVO smart meter online experience can we expect any developments in the area of IHDs and Real-time usage monitoring?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Kept getting badgered by OVO asking me to get involved in the forum, so here goes, this is my first post but sadly not a positive one.

We had a smart meter and IHD installed last year on the premise that we'd be able to monitor, manage and control our energy use. After all, isn't that purported to be the primary benefit of smart meters ? The install went well and then we had a look at the IHD that the engineer stuck on top of our microwave. Seriously ? It's like something from the 1980s. We had a dot matrix printer that was easier to read and use ! Horrendous, useless, illegible piece of junk that we've looked at 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months. Whoever procured these units for the energy industry should be fired and/or investigated. They must have been getting a back-hander from the supplier !

We were made to feel even worse, when visiting family in Bristol a couple of months ago. There in the kitchen was a full colour, 7in IHD which was easy to read, intuitive to use and gave you all the information needed to do the job smart meters were design to. Unless or until OVO swap out these mini mono monstrosities, we'll never get value of this "new" technology other than auto readings.

We have another major gripe about smart meters around the way OVO collects payments and balances accounts but that's for a different thread.

Hey @Kevin,

As @Darran_OVO mentioned previously, the new Chameleon model has been trialled and rolled out in some areas of the UK, but not all just yet. Rest assured we are gradually making it available everywhere.

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll probably find that your online account is more useful than the Pipit 500 IHD, which gives quite general information. If you log into the website, you'll be able to find colour-coded graphs of your gas and electricity usage, broken down into yearly, monthly, daily and even half-hourly consumption (depending on how often you send us readings). It'll show your usage in KWh and the equivalent cost, as well as a running total of your bill this month, and a projection of what the next bill's likely to be.

If you're having problems with your payments, please feel free to send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can help.

Cheers,
Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @K1ano,

I've moved your new topic over here so we can carry on the discussion about IHDs in one place. Hopefully you've managed to find some answers on this thread. If you have any more questions, comment them below!

Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Jetsets - I've moved your post over here where you should be able to find the info you need about the new and old IHDs.

Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @MadArgy. We're currently providing the new Chameleon IHD with all new installations of smart meters, and as replacements for any faulty Pipit IHDs. Due to stock levels, we can't replace all existing working Pipits with a new Chameleon right now.
Userlevel 1
To me if an IHD does not zero after a statement then its useless, im a DD customer and would like that option, if it could zero and estimate future use based on the past it would be really useful.
For me i just feel like turning it off.
Its just a novelty
Userlevel 1
i wonder if next generation IHD will do what i want, ive played with the hourly use etc but its time consuming if your doing it every day.
The only thing the smart meter is excellent at is sending data to the provider and the consumer not having to read the meter every month - just my opinion.
Userlevel 1
Im actually tempted to turn mine off as i get the info i need now from the website. I presume turning it off wont make a difference apart from using electric its self?
Userlevel 1
I agree with Woz099 my online monitoring is running 4 days behind, sometimes if you click backwards and forwards the day one works, its like shaking a clock to work.
I have told OVO a couple of times and they always say the same were working on it.

The stand alone unit does not give enough information.
I am one of the many with the pipit waste of space IHD, anyone know when I can have the Chamelon replacement?. I was fooled into thinking that was what I would get when I moved from British Gas to OVO, BG had a proper IHD that permanently displayed your usage. The Ads for OVO all showed a very similar device, But when i switched and got my new smart meters I was given the pipit, .

I feel well misled!!
Hi K1ano
I am one of the many with the pipit waste of space IHD, anyone know when I can have the Chamelon replacement?. I was fooled into thinking that was what I would get when I moved from British Gas to OVO, BG had a proper IHD that permanently displayed your usage. The Ads for OVO all showed a very similar device, But when i switched and got my new smart meters I was given the pipit, .

I feel well misled!!

Yep almost the same issue as me originally, I agreed to have a smart meter on the basis I would get the IHD in the promotional material and as described in the manual and documentation given to me on installation - I did eventually get one to be fair, but it wasn’t easy at all !!!

thanks for the reply, how did you manage to get them to set you up with a chameleon? who is best to contact do you think?
Hey @Kevin,

As @Darran_OVO mentioned previously, the new Chameleon model has been trialled and rolled out in some areas of the UK, but not all just yet. Rest assured we are gradually making it available everywhere.

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll probably find that your online account is more useful than the Pipit 500 IHD, which gives quite general information. If you log into the website, you'll be able to find colour-coded graphs of your gas and electricity usage, broken down into yearly, monthly, daily and even half-hourly consumption (depending on how often you send us readings). It'll show your usage in KWh and the equivalent cost, as well as a running total of your bill this month, and a projection of what the next bill's likely to be.

If you're having problems with your payments, please feel free to send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can help.

Cheers,
Nancy[/quote]

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for reply. So glad to hear these units are being replaced, hopefully FOC and quickly to existing customers! I'm aware of the website data (which is v useful), but it lacks the convenience and immediacy of an IHD or better still a decent phone app.

Don't have problems with our payments. Our issue is that smart technology has been crudely bolted onto an antiquated payment system based on estimated bills which, in our case, fails to reflect our energy usage. The old system of debits and credits in a smart process makes no sense and is simply being retained because the energy industry doesn't fancy pre-funding 1 month's energy use. But that will come in time, either through customer and/or government pressure. When I have time, I'll try find the thread covering this subject.
Despite months of vague promises about IHD trialling, rolling out, keeping us up to date blah! blah! blah! loyal customers are still in the dark. OVO is starting to lose its shine for me on customer service.

Remember, there's an element of turkeys and Christmas here. Far from being a revenue generator, if the IHD was actually fit for purpose and used by customers as intended, OVO will make less money. It's the No 1 reason customers were sceptical about the roll out of Smart Meters. The dreadful first effort and slow replacement suggests that scepticism was well founded.
The chamelon is probably just as bad the standing charge amount is wrong and so is the price per unit.

This is for both Gas and Electric
I have just been offered a new smart meter to be purchased at the price of £28.

Do people think it’s worth purchasing?
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. I'm sure many other users stuck with the 90s technology present in the current in home display 😃 would be similarity interested.

A follow on question would be: And how do we get our hands on the new display?!
Despite months of vague promises about IHD trialling, rolling out, keeping us up to date blah! blah! blah! loyal customers are still in the dark. OVO is starting to lose its shine for me on customer service.
There have been a few posts about the different IHD’s and I have had some experience with both so thought I would share them ...

I was fortunate enough to be able to have my Pipit 500 replaced with the Chameleon 3IHD, I won’t go into all the details here though. What I would say is that the Pipit 500 shows good real-time usage and history graphs on the device itself and can battery operated and so is essentially portable - it does not connect to your WiFi and does not support real-time usage on the website or app. The website graphs are useful when away from home (real-time usage comes into use here) but I find an IHD more useful at home rather than using a PC/MAC. An iPad is useful for accessing your usage in the house though so is kind of an IHD also.

Moving onto the Chameleon 3IHD, it is a nice colour device. It doesn’t show a history breakdown and cannot be battery operated so needs to be fully powered probably in a static location. It does connect to your WiFi and so sends real-time readings to your online dashboard when your away from home. Of course on an iPad again in the home real-time usage can be seen in a portable way. Currently the Chameleon 3IHD is sited in my kitchen and the old Pipit 500 (which hasn’t been collected yet, though they can be purchased online for a few pounds) is roaming the home.

As both are paired to the smart meter I currently have the best of both worlds and for a geek like me it’s great. Also I read that ultimately it will be possible to connect/pair multiple devices to your meter HAN like I have, albeit by coincidence. IHD devices can be purchased online also but I am not sure currently whether OVO support other devices or allow pairing by anyone other than the engineers. In future (not sure when) customers will legally be able to pair devices themselves.

It does seem odd the Chameleon 3IHD availability seems to mean it’s pot luck which device you will get but I hope the post above enlightens anyone. Some people might well prefer the mobile Pipit 500, some might of course prefer the static Chameloen with real-time usage, clearly there are pros and cons for both.

The more interesting future is that other devices may become available, and probably currently are, so consumers will likely have a better choice and ultimately be able to get other devices paired up. Like me having multiple devices is also likely to be of interest to many.

Martin