Solved

When is the new 'Chameleon' In Home Display (IHD) being made available?

Badge

4 months ago, Community Moderator, Tim, announced that OVO was actually working on a new In Home Display Unit. They were being tested....... He also said "watch this space!".

Has OVO started to install these new units yet please?

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 9 August 2017, 11:11

Hey @Himmm and @Rooty

The good news is that for new smart meter installations, we are now supplying the new IHD in limited numbers to extend the trial we were running previously.

As this is a new piece of tech, they are only available in limited numbers while we ramp up supplies, so won't be available just yet for customers that have already had smart meters installed and have the previous version of IHD.

As and when this changes in the future, we will of course let our customers know! We don't want to disappoint anyone but need to ensure they are doing the job we expect to support our customers first rather than just rushing them out to everyone!

Darran
View original

61 replies

Badge
Any reply to my question Please?
Badge
Hello Tim, Would you be so kind to answer my question please?
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. I'm sure many other users stuck with the 90s technology present in the current in home display 😃 would be similarity interested.

A follow on question would be: And how do we get our hands on the new display?!
Badge
Hellooo Tim.....are you there?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @Himmm and @Rooty

The good news is that for new smart meter installations, we are now supplying the new IHD in limited numbers to extend the trial we were running previously.

As this is a new piece of tech, they are only available in limited numbers while we ramp up supplies, so won't be available just yet for customers that have already had smart meters installed and have the previous version of IHD.

As and when this changes in the future, we will of course let our customers know! We don't want to disappoint anyone but need to ensure they are doing the job we expect to support our customers first rather than just rushing them out to everyone!

Darran
Userlevel 4
Badge
Not sure how it's good news to me and Himmm that OVO has gone the ol' corporate route of let's "give the nice shiny to new customers first" ploy.

Don't bother to explain. I get it. 😃

To be fair to OVO, since anyone who's looked into the fiasco that is the smart meter rollout, I accept you've already "given" me an IHD.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be quite happy to live without the display -- period -- and go with the realtime web / app option that was mentioned. Of course, this in all likelihood requires the new IHD ... Again, I can only speak for myself, but I'd be willing to pay for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Rooty

Appreciate it might not be good news for you right now, we are absolutely looking at all options around how we support existing customers on this front and will keep you posted as this develops.

Good suggestion re it being an upgrade option if customers were willing to pay to upgrade. We'd want to make sure we were doing the right thing by all of our customers though, so we don't want to charge customers for them if we don't have to.

We will continue to keep you posted.

Darran
Hi Darran,
Is there a date for when the new IHD will be available to customers that got the old IHD?

If this device is still in trial, can customers that got the old IHD volunteer to be beta testers?

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Darran,
Is there a date for when the new IHD will be available to customers that got the old IHD?

If this device is still in trial, can customers that got the old IHD volunteer to be beta testers?

Thanks

We’re no longer running the trials. At the moment, we’re collating the feedback so that we’re ready for the release (date TBC).

At the moment, there aren’t any plans to replace customers old IHD’s with the new one but if this changes, we’ll let you know.

Lucy
Userlevel 2
Badge
"At the moment, there aren’t any plans to replace customers old IHD’s with the new one but if this changes, we’ll let you know".

So we have to put up with an IHD that is next to useless.
Mine is residing at the local landfill which is not very green I know but it wouldn't flush down the toilet.

It seems to me that OVO have turned a corner and are now getting to big and are losing touch with their customers, just like the big six we are now just numbers and seen as cash cows.
Mine and others direct debits increased for no reason and no option to reduce the amount why? Oh hang on a minute OVO are sponsoring a massive cycle race around England with TV coverage and everything, coincidence?

Can you tell me one idea or suggestion that has been implemented because of something raised in this forum? No didn't think so.

As I have suggested before can we have an option to pay the bill in full at the end of the month so we don't have to worry about direct debits?
But then again if you did that you wouldn't be able to up my direct debit so that you now have over 400 quid of MY money in YOUR bank account.

Rant over, Del.
Hi, I have heard that Ovo are migrating to new Chameleon IHDs. I have an older 'Secure' IHD. which is frankly dreadful, and has a read out that looks like its from the '80s. Honestly, I've seen Atari games look more up to date than this! 😛 Can someone tell me how I get hold of one of the new ones please?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I would be interested too! Last we heard they were trailing them with some new installed. Would be good to know if there will be an upgrade path for existing customers.
yep i have just received the Pippit device - its terrible, it wont even stay on the consumption screen it always reverts to the estimated bill screen after a minute. used to Have BG one and that was not the best screen but it showed consumption properly on the screen and via the leds - and even went to sleep at night so as not to blind you .

is the chamelon better?
The chamelon is probably just as bad the standing charge amount is wrong and so is the price per unit.

This is for both Gas and Electric
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The chamelon is probably just as bad the standing charge amount is wrong and so is the price per unit.

This is for both Gas and Electric

If the prices aren’t showing correctly on your new IHD, then it will be worth you contacting the team so that they can get things updated for you.

You can drop the team a message on Facebook or Twitter or, our Customer Service contact details can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers#contactnumbers.

Lucy
Kept getting badgered by OVO asking me to get involved in the forum, so here goes, this is my first post but sadly not a positive one.

We had a smart meter and IHD installed last year on the premise that we'd be able to monitor, manage and control our energy use. After all, isn't that purported to be the primary benefit of smart meters ? The install went well and then we had a look at the IHD that the engineer stuck on top of our microwave. Seriously ? It's like something from the 1980s. We had a dot matrix printer that was easier to read and use ! Horrendous, useless, illegible piece of junk that we've looked at 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months. Whoever procured these units for the energy industry should be fired and/or investigated. They must have been getting a back-hander from the supplier !

We were made to feel even worse, when visiting family in Bristol a couple of months ago. There in the kitchen was a full colour, 7in IHD which was easy to read, intuitive to use and gave you all the information needed to do the job smart meters were design to. Unless or until OVO swap out these mini mono monstrosities, we'll never get value of this "new" technology other than auto readings.

We have another major gripe about smart meters around the way OVO collects payments and balances accounts but that's for a different thread.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Kept getting badgered by OVO asking me to get involved in the forum, so here goes, this is my first post but sadly not a positive one.

We had a smart meter and IHD installed last year on the premise that we'd be able to monitor, manage and control our energy use. After all, isn't that purported to be the primary benefit of smart meters ? The install went well and then we had a look at the IHD that the engineer stuck on top of our microwave. Seriously ? It's like something from the 1980s. We had a dot matrix printer that was easier to read and use ! Horrendous, useless, illegible piece of junk that we've looked at 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months. Whoever procured these units for the energy industry should be fired and/or investigated. They must have been getting a back-hander from the supplier !

We were made to feel even worse, when visiting family in Bristol a couple of months ago. There in the kitchen was a full colour, 7in IHD which was easy to read, intuitive to use and gave you all the information needed to do the job smart meters were design to. Unless or until OVO swap out these mini mono monstrosities, we'll never get value of this "new" technology other than auto readings.

We have another major gripe about smart meters around the way OVO collects payments and balances accounts but that's for a different thread.

Hey @Kevin,

As @Darran_OVO mentioned previously, the new Chameleon model has been trialled and rolled out in some areas of the UK, but not all just yet. Rest assured we are gradually making it available everywhere.

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll probably find that your online account is more useful than the Pipit 500 IHD, which gives quite general information. If you log into the website, you'll be able to find colour-coded graphs of your gas and electricity usage, broken down into yearly, monthly, daily and even half-hourly consumption (depending on how often you send us readings). It'll show your usage in KWh and the equivalent cost, as well as a running total of your bill this month, and a projection of what the next bill's likely to be.

If you're having problems with your payments, please feel free to send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can help.

Cheers,
Nancy
Hey @Kevin,

As @Darran_OVO mentioned previously, the new Chameleon model has been trialled and rolled out in some areas of the UK, but not all just yet. Rest assured we are gradually making it available everywhere.

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll probably find that your online account is more useful than the Pipit 500 IHD, which gives quite general information. If you log into the website, you'll be able to find colour-coded graphs of your gas and electricity usage, broken down into yearly, monthly, daily and even half-hourly consumption (depending on how often you send us readings). It'll show your usage in KWh and the equivalent cost, as well as a running total of your bill this month, and a projection of what the next bill's likely to be.

If you're having problems with your payments, please feel free to send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can help.

Cheers,
Nancy[/quote]

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for reply. So glad to hear these units are being replaced, hopefully FOC and quickly to existing customers! I'm aware of the website data (which is v useful), but it lacks the convenience and immediacy of an IHD or better still a decent phone app.

Don't have problems with our payments. Our issue is that smart technology has been crudely bolted onto an antiquated payment system based on estimated bills which, in our case, fails to reflect our energy usage. The old system of debits and credits in a smart process makes no sense and is simply being retained because the energy industry doesn't fancy pre-funding 1 month's energy use. But that will come in time, either through customer and/or government pressure. When I have time, I'll try find the thread covering this subject.
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. I'm sure many other users stuck with the 90s technology present in the current in home display 😃 would be similarity interested.

A follow on question would be: And how do we get our hands on the new display?!
Hey @Kevin,

Cheers,
Nancy

I fully agree with KebinS. Having to boot up a laptop to make a reading is inconvenient, and here is where the IHD comes handy, and the small monochrome one supplied is pretty much useless, and not even comparable with the ones offered by BT...
I fully agree with KebinS. Having to boot up a laptop to make a reading is inconvenient, and here is where the IHD comes handy, ant the small monochrome one supplied is pretty much useless, and not even comparable with the ones offered by BT...
Userlevel 4
Badge
I don't understand why anyone would want an IHD after the first week of novelty value. Once you have figured out and noted roughly how much energy each appliance uses, you really need to check historical data to see whether you are making reductions in your energy use. Seeing historical data you can start trying to understand usage, how much electricity is used for a night in front of the tv, and cooking a Sunday roast for instance. And most importantly what you forgot to turn off before going to bed at night, or before going away on holiday!
Despite months of vague promises about IHD trialling, rolling out, keeping us up to date blah! blah! blah! loyal customers are still in the dark. OVO is starting to lose its shine for me on customer service.
Despite months of vague promises about IHD trialling, rolling out, keeping us up to date blah! blah! blah! loyal customers are still in the dark. OVO is starting to lose its shine for me on customer service.

Remember, there's an element of turkeys and Christmas here. Far from being a revenue generator, if the IHD was actually fit for purpose and used by customers as intended, OVO will make less money. It's the No 1 reason customers were sceptical about the roll out of Smart Meters. The dreadful first effort and slow replacement suggests that scepticism was well founded.
I was fortunate enough to be able to have my Pipit 500 replaced with the Chameleon 3IHD, I won’t go into all the details here though.

What I would say is that the Pipit 500 shows good real-time usage and history graphs on the device itself and can battery operated and so is portable - it does not connect to your WiFi and does not support real-time usage on the website. The website graphs are useful when away from home (real-time usage comes into use here) but find an IHD more useful at home rather than using a PC/MAC. An iPad is useful for accessing your usage in the ho e though so is kind of an IHD also.

Moving onto the Chameleon 3IHD, it is a nice colour device. It doesn’t show a history breakdown and cannot be battery operated so needs to be fully powered probably in a static location. It does connect to your WiFi and so sends real-time readings to your online dashboard when your away from home. Of course on an iPad again in the home real-time usage can be seen in a portable way.

Currently the Chameleon 3IHD is sited in my kitchen and the old Pipit 500 (which hasn’t been collected yet, though they can be purchased online for a few pounds) is roaming the home. As both are paired to the smart meter I currently have the best of both worlds and for a geek like me it’s great.

Also I read that ultimately it will be possible to connect/pair multiple devices to your meter HAN like I have, albeit by coincidence. IHD devices can be purchased online also but I am not sure currently whether OVO support other devices or allow pairing by anyone other than the engineers. In future (not sure when) customers will legally be able to pair devices themselves.

Martin