Pinned Solved

What's the difference between the Pipit 500 and Chameleon In Home Displays (IHDs)?

• 30 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I notice on the help notes that the latest IHDs can connect to your router; I cant find any way to do this on the Pipit 500, have I been given an old IHD?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 8 December 2017, 17:10

I notice on the help notes that the latest IHDs can connect to your router; I cant find any way to do this on the Pipit 500, have I been given an old IHD?

Hi @PeterR1947,

I've modified the title of your post so other users can find it if they're looking for similar information, and added some tags.

The Pipit 500 is the older version of the IHD, yes. The newer model is the Chameleon but this hasn't been fully rolled out yet. Some customer were involved in the beta testing, and it's reached a couple of regions for people having smart meter exchanges.

The Chameleon does have a 'gateway' feature, meaning it can connect to your wifi to give live usage data. Unfortunately this isn't a feature on the Pipit 500.

It's still possible to get really up to date usage data with the Pipit device and your online account though! If you've selected to be on 30 minute readings, you can see up to date usage in 30 minute chunks, which will update throughout the day.

If you're not on 30 minute readings, we can update it for you if you get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter.

Cheers,
Nancy

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi @PeterR1947,

I've modified the title of your post so other users can find it if they're looking for similar information, and added some tags.

The Pipit 500 is the older version of the IHD, yes. The newer model is the Chameleon but this hasn't been fully rolled out yet. Some customer were involved in the beta testing, and it's reached a couple of regions for people having smart meter exchanges.

The Chameleon does have a 'gateway' feature, meaning it can connect to your wifi to give live usage data. Unfortunately this isn't a feature on the Pipit 500.

It's still possible to get really up to date usage data with the Pipit device and your online account though! If you've selected to be on 30 minute readings, you can see up to date usage in 30 minute chunks, which will update throughout the day.

If you're not on 30 minute readings, we can update it for you if you get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter.

Cheers,
Nancy

**Updated 24/07/2019**
Userlevel 2

Morning,

Are you sure this is the case, I am on 30 minute readings (well, I should be, requested and confirmed at time of install) yet the newest data I can see is always yesterday, I have never been able to view todays data.

Thanks,
Sam
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
It should be showing today's usage, @sam_cat - drop us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) if you wanted us to check this.

BTW on that other topic, I'm getting one of the forum's superusers to advise you on the IHD's estimated bill.

Tim
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The Pipit is useless with Solar panels, when generating more than using, the kWh display shows the negative value of what is being exported with the legend "high" and the red led is illuminated!

A rubbish display for solar!
Userlevel 2
It should be showing today's usage, @sam_cat - drop us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) if you wanted us to check this.

BTW on that other topic, I'm getting one of the forum's superusers to advise you on the IHD's estimated bill.

Tim

After lots of to-ing and fro-ing with hello@, it turns out that the bill amounts shown on the IHD are a guess. They are a work of fiction not actually based on the standing charge or unit costs associated with my account, they are just a 'rough guide'.
The chameleon works EXACTLY the same...

Email follows, bits in bold are my emphasis. Have snipped a few bits of sensitive info out.

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your email.

I am really sorry to inform you of this, but my colleague has mis-advised you in regards to the In Home Display unit.

Although the new unit is a little better than the model you're currently in possession of, it's still not able to provide any kind of readings that are taken from the meter.

I will send out a pre-paid envelope in the post for you today, in order for you to send the faulty IHD back. I will also request for a new unit to be sent to you which will take around 2-3 weeks to arrive.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kind regards,

Hi @PeterR1947,

Cheers,
Nancy

I have one of the new Black - Chameleon IHD's and because I'm on the 2nd floor with the meter cupboard under stairs a fair distance away I am not able to use my IHD. It is stuck on connection lost.

You advise that this can be connected to Wifi instead - please can you send instructions how you do this as at the moment the IHD is not able to be used.

" The Chameleon does have a 'gateway' feature, meaning it can connect to your wifi to give live usage data. "
I have had a smart meter for about 2 years which has a remote display. While it might be useful to some people it only normally displays the supposed amount (£) owing to OVO. This is next to useless to me. Reading the forum a while back I gather some customers were offered a much improved display with many more items of interest on it. Is it possible to obtain this display? Either for free (from OVO) or for money to someone? And if so how much??
Regards, Roger Munt
Userlevel 5
I’ve moved your query over to this topic, @Bluebeard06, check out the best answer at the top for more information on what the Pipit 500 can do.

At the moment we’re not replacing Pipit 500 IHD’s for Chameleon’s unless they’re faulty, and they're not for sale I'm afraid. The Chameleon IHD is a new piece of tech so the quantities are limited. If this does change, we’ll be sure to let our customers know.

Eva
When my smart meters were fitted in 2015 I was given a Pipit IHD. Recently my eyesight has deteriorated, so I was wondering if the new Chameleon might be easier for me to use? If so, would it be possible to get one of those instead of my present one, please?

Anne
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
It's worth asking Anne but I think you are unlikely to be given one, we all want one. You might be better either using a magnifying glass to read the Pipit or the online account to get your daily usage figures.

Peter
Peter,

I find using a magnifying glass that helpful.

Anne