Solved

What do the green/orange/red lights on my Chameleon IHD In Home Display (IHD) mean?

• 5 November 2017
  • 10 replies

Hi,

Just had smart meters and new style IHD installed and have a couple of questions please as have no user instructions.
1. By 6.00am every morning (when I get up) it tells me that I've already used around £1.30 of dual fuel on a total spend per day of around £3.50. Why so high when the central heating/water turns on around 5.30am?
2. What do the green/orange/red lights tell me at the bottom of the IHD, (not the meters)?

Thanks.
Jez

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 December 2017, 17:37

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 09/01/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sounds like you’ve got the Chameleon IHD3, the smart meter In-Home Display we previously offered as the accompanying smart meter device:

The colored lights at the bottom of this display indicate whether your current energy use is low (green) medium (amber) or high (red). You can also click on the lightning bolt 'now' button to see your usage in real time.

As you mentioned seeing higher than expected daily usage costs, it’s worth factoring in your daily standing charges which are added to the ‘so far today’ figure at midnight. Also bear in mind some appliances (like fridge/freezers and TVs on standby) use electricity overnight. Visit the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) to get free and impartial advice on the energy usage of your appliances.

For further information on how to use your IHD see the usage guide for your meter/IHD type below:

S2 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

S1 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

S1 meter with a Pipit IHD

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Smart Meter not communicating with OVO? Fill out this Online Form

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Can someone please explain to me why when I was with SSE and I boiled a kettle of water, my reading went to half way up the green section of my display.

With Ovo straight into the red section, weird huh, I guess it costs more to boil a kettle with Ovo!!!!

Bemused of Sussex

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

One possibility is that the display is learning your lifestyle!

Maybe moving to the OVO system has reset the amount of kWh it takes to make it to the red. 

It now takes me to be charging the car and have the air source heat pump running to get into the red on my display.

If you want to be made to feel less guilty for making a hot drink try switching on your immersion and oven if it's electric. That should shock the display into not frowning upon you making a nice cup of tea! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you can show me what IHD you’ve got, I might be able to help you adjust the thresholds a bit to be less sensitive.

Userlevel 7

@nealmurphy and @Blastoise186 great input here.

I might be completely wrong in this case but just a thought… if an appliance becomes less efficient over time and uses more kWhs then this could in theory cause a scenario like this. 

The only real way to test this though would be to know how many kWhs the kettle was using before. 

Can anyone tell me why my smart meter (1st generation) is showing a blue light instead of a green or red light . The internet says it means gas only but I only have an electric smart meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Flynknee ,

We can indeed but we need to see photos first so we can identify what you’ve got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Flynknee , I think you may be talking about your in house display (IHD) rather than your smart meter. They do use different colours for electric and gas 

Sorry it is my in house display  I don’t have gas only electric 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry it is my in house display  I don’t have gas only electric 

As Blastoise says if you post a picture someone might be able to help