Solved

What do the green/orange/red lights tell me at the bottom of the my new Chameleon IHD In Home Display (IHD)?

• 5 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Hi,

Just had smart meters and new style IHD installed and have a couple of questions please as have no user instructions.
1. By 6.00am every morning (when I get up) it tells me that I've already used around £1.30 of dual fuel on a total spend per day of around £3.50. Why so high when the central heating/water turns on around 5.30am?
2. What do the green/orange/red lights tell me at the bottom of the IHD, (not the meters)?

Thanks.
Jez
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 December 2017, 17:37

What do the green/orange/red lights tell me at the bottom of the IHD, (not the meters)?

Thanks for posting @JezzaF

The colored lights at the bottom shows whether your current use is low (green) medium (amber) or high (red). Click on the lightning bolt 'now' button to see your usage in real time.

As for those daily costs, tap the Home button to see how much energy you've used so far today. Use the Calendar button to move the display through 'so far this week' and 'so far this month'. Use the 'back' arrow to scroll back and see how much energy you've used each day, week or month. Tap the Utility button to switch the figures on the display between electricity, gas or combined fuels.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Jez,

I don't have the new style IHD, only the old one, so can't answer all your questions.

Are you on a tariff that includes a standing charge? If so this might be applied at midnight each day, so when you look at 6am it already has the standing charge applied? Can you see the kWh usage as well?
Hi MW,

I'm on a pay monthly tariff, so yes I think that there is a daily standing charge.

At 19.41 today, it says I've used .62.56 kwh and that has cost £3.55.

Jez
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What do the green/orange/red lights tell me at the bottom of the IHD, (not the meters)?

Thanks for posting @JezzaF

The colored lights at the bottom shows whether your current use is low (green) medium (amber) or high (red). Click on the lightning bolt 'now' button to see your usage in real time.

As for those daily costs, tap the Home button to see how much energy you've used so far today. Use the Calendar button to move the display through 'so far this week' and 'so far this month'. Use the 'back' arrow to scroll back and see how much energy you've used each day, week or month. Tap the Utility button to switch the figures on the display between electricity, gas or combined fuels.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Updated on 12/07/2019
I've just noticed my smart meter attached to electricity is flashing red, not sure if it always does this? But also today the elec cost is not showing. Will Ovo be aware to resolve, or if not how do I report this? (I don't want to lose my online discount!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I've just noticed my smart meter attached to electricity is flashing red, not sure if it always does this? But also today the elec cost is not showing. Will Ovo be aware to resolve, or if not how do I report this? (I don't want to lose my online discount!)

See above @Sarah C - is it your Chameleon IHD that's flashing?

This is also worth a look!
The traffic-light ranges on my IHD are as follows:

Green = 0 - 500W
Amber = 500W - 8000W
Red = Over 8000W

Do these ranges change with my particular usage?

I can't imagine I would ever get into the red range, which means that the red light is useless for me. Also the amber range starts too low at 500W IMO. For me the traffic-lights would be more informative with the following ranges:

Green = 0 - 1000W
Amber = 1000W - 5000W
Red = Over 5000W

If they do not change with useage, can I change them manually?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Kim - I've moved your post over here where you can find more info about the IHD lights and how to adjust them 🚦
Thanks Nancy, but I can't see any info on how to adjust them.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Kim - check out this guide I created for more info on that!
Thanks Nancy. So it looks like you can't change the traffic light ranges, unless setting a budget will do it.
Userlevel 6
Badge
That's it, @Kim! It's the budget you need to adjust 😎