Solved

Smart Meter - Standing charge is higher than bill

Hi. 

I live on my own in a 2 bedroom house. 

My standing charge is 22p and 24p a day for electeic and gas. However at 0700 this morning the readings are 41p and 34p. Im not using any gas, heating is off and the only electric is my fridge, nothing on standby. 

Why are they higher than my set amount!? Is this VAT added on as well!? 

Or is that purely hot water and the fridge!? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by NoPoke 13 April 2020, 10:28

The 41p = 0.637kwh

The 34p = 0.033kwh

Does that help!?

It helps, it suggests that your gas standing charge is 34p per day. (32p ex VAT)
Can you provide another pair of figures from later in the day which will allow the standing charge to be untangled from the per kWh usage charges.. 

[The standing charges in your opening post seem low for OVO, My gas and electricity standing charge is 28.8p per day for each fuel]

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Does your in home display also show consumption figures?

The 41p = 0.637kwh

The 34p = 0.033kwh

Does that help!?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The 41p = 0.637kwh

The 34p = 0.033kwh

Does that help!?

It helps, it suggests that your gas standing charge is 34p per day. (32p ex VAT)
Can you provide another pair of figures from later in the day which will allow the standing charge to be untangled from the per kWh usage charges.. 

[The standing charges in your opening post seem low for OVO, My gas and electricity standing charge is 28.8p per day for each fuel]

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

And don’t forget the VAT at 5% which is included in the amounts shown on your IHD.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Welcome to the forum, @Sce27, we’d need to know what tariff you’re on to make sure these figures are correct, please reach out to the team. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com

Thanks! 

The 41p = 0.637kwh

The 34p = 0.033kwh

Does that help!?

Hi again

Thanks so much for this help. Really appreciate it. 

So ive taken some readings from tonight, as late as possible. 

£0.62p = 148kwh

£0.44p = 1.39kwh

Thanks again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Rather than just give the result.

To calculate the per unit cost. = (cost difference)/((increase in usage) 

electricity = (62p-41p)/((1.48kWh-0.637kWh) = 24.9p/kWh
gas = (44p-34p)/(1.39kWh-0.033kWh) = 9.9p/kWh

Which seems  high for both gas and electricity.

To calculate the standing charge we subtract the energy cost from the cost

electricity standing change = 41p - 0.637kWh*24.9(p/kWh) = 25p/day

gas standing charge = 34p - 0.033*9.9(p/kWh) = 34p/day

The gas standing charge seems a little high and the electricity standing charge a little low.

All figures are including VAT at 5% unlike the figures on your bill which will be ex-VAT. VAT is added to the sub-totals on the bills.

----------------------
There isn’t a lot more any of us  customers can do to help, OVO like all energy companies have tens of tariffs.  @Amy_OVO’s advice to reach out to their team should allow you to establish what is up.  I’ll end with some questions that should complete the picture.  

Do you have a recent bill from OVO?
How long have you been with OVO?
What is the name of the tariff you are on?  
What are your daily energy costs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s a brilliant answer @NoPoke :relaxed:

And @Sce27 could you please complete your Forum Profile page? That where we look to see some basic level of detail about your tariff, start-date etc (if you’re happy to provide that).

@NoPokeis correct that OVO have loads of different tariffs. Ofgem rules prevent them from offering more than 4 at a time to enable us customers to navigate comparison sites more easily. However, they regularly update these, replacing one with another. So they might have customers using around 20 “active” Fixed Tariffs at any one time.

Rather than just give the result.

To calculate the per unit cost. = (cost difference)/((increase in usage) 

electricity = (62p-41p)/((1.48kWh-0.637kWh) = 24.9p/kWh
gas = (44p-34p)/(1.39kWh-0.033kWh) = 9.9p/kWh

Which seems  high for both gas and electricity.

To calculate the standing charge we subtract the energy cost from the cost

electricity standing change = 41p - 0.637kWh*24.9(p/kWh) = 25p/day

gas standing charge = 34p - 0.033*9.9(p/kWh) = 34p/day

The gas standing charge seems a little high and the electricity standing charge a little low.

All figures are including VAT at 5% unlike the figures on your bill which will be ex-VAT. VAT is added to the sub-totals on the bills.

----------------------
There isn’t a lot more any of us  customers can do to help, OVO like all energy companies have tens of tariffs.  @Amy_OVO’s advice to reach out to their team should allow you to establish what is up.  I’ll end with some questions that should complete the picture.  

Do you have a recent bill from OVO?
How long have you been with OVO?
What is the name of the tariff you are on?  
What are your daily energy costs?

Thank you again. 

Ive just looked at my bill: 

Gas standing charge = 25.44p

Gas standard energy: 3.62p

Electric standing charge = 22.97p

Electric standard energy = 17.26p

I just wanted to know why my smart meter in the morning always reads approx 37 - 39p for Gas and approx 37 - 41p Electric when the only thing on is my fridge/freezer and wifi router. Is that charge correct on top of the standing charges!?

Userlevel 6
Badge

That sounds right, @Sce27, standing charge will appear on your IHD between midnight and 4 am normally, but by the time you look at the IHD, the kWh/unit’s used will also have been added to the total. 

Hope this helps! 

That sounds right, @Sce27, standing charge will appear on your IHD between midnight and 4 am normally, but by the time you look at the IHD, the kWh/unit’s used will also have been added to the total. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanks Amy. 

So even with only those two things running, those amounts look okay!?

Really appreciate your help. I live alone and it is good to know!

Userlevel 4
Badge

That’s about the same as my usage, @Sce27, and I have a similar set up to you!