Solved

Smart Meter Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) - Does it need to be plugged in?

• 15 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Does it need to be plugged into a mains socket - I don't have a spare one!
icon

Best answer by Aadil 15 September 2017, 17:43

@Busker

Hey there. No need for a spare plug, in fact there is no plug needed at all.

It's all done direct from the mains. The engineer will wire it directly, and correctly, from your mains supply so don't worry about a thing.

🆒
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
When the smart meter was installed, the fitter plugged the display screen into the socket (without batteries) and demonstrated it. After he'd gone I read the manual. It said I should install batteries and only use the cable and plug for charging up.

But if I use it on battery power alone, how do I know when it needs charging? At the moment I'm using batteries and plugging in socket.

Any advice?

Yorick
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
When the smart meter was installed, the fitter plugged the display screen into the socket (without batteries) and demonstrated it. After he'd gone I read the manual. It said I should install batteries and only use the cable and plug for charging up.

But if I use it on battery power alone, how do I know when it needs charging? At the moment I'm using batteries and plugging in socket.

Any advice?

Yorick

Hi @Yorick
Thanks for your post: you could put rechargeable batteries in the IHD and it will let you know when the power is running low to recharge or plug in.
You may also find this topic useful: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html

I've not unplugged mine for a while as it hardly uses any electricity whatsoever.

@Smiter any thoughts on this one?
Userlevel 1
Tried it on just batteries with plug turned off. Couldn't get screen to appear despite tapping it several times. Had to turn on the plug for the screen to appear. Think I may revert to the installer's method and use it with plug only and use the batteries for something else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Tried it on just batteries with plug turned off. Couldn't get screen to appear despite tapping it several times. Had to turn on the plug for the screen to appear. Think I may revert to the installer's method and use it with plug only and use the batteries for something else.

Yep, wise words, Yorick.

The advice to use the IHD with batteries is directed at Pay as you go customers. When their supply is cut off, an IHD with batteries will still work, and will let them reconnect after topping up. If you're a Pay monthly customer, you're all good in the hood. 🆒

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
@Busker

Hey there. No need for a spare plug, in fact there is no plug needed at all.

It's all done direct from the mains. The engineer will wire it directly, and correctly, from your mains supply so don't worry about a thing.

🆒