Solved

Router connection with your In Home Display (IHD) - is it needed?

• 3 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Ive just had my smart meter fitted and i found the option to connect to my broadband via my router but the engineer didnt mention it. What is the option to connect to my broadband used for and do i need to connect to it?
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 3 October 2018, 15:08

Hello, @Dazzammm

I am not entirely sure of the full benefit connecting your smart meter to your router. I currently have not done this as the engineer didn't mention anything to me either. But I guess it could be a feature which has been implemented early on in stage ready for what OVO might have in place for the future with their smart home devices such as V2G and battery storage.
View original

7 replies

Hello @Dazzammm, I hope your concern gets resolved. If you have been one of these displays by the engineer, they have already connected it to your Wi-Fi. If they didn’t, or it’s disconnected, these are the steps you need to connect it.

1) Navigate through the controls to join the network
Press Menu/OK to bring up the menu
Press the forward Arrow until you see Settings [ok]
Press Menu/OK to select Settings
Press the forward Arrow until you see Switch on Wi-Fi and press Menu/OK
Press the forward Arrow until you see Join Network and press Menu/OK

If you have any problem in these issues then you can visit us: routerlogin.net web address.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
To avoid confusion, can I just observe that I believe the correspondents to this topic are discussing the Pipet IHD.

I have the Chameleon, and there is no option within Settings to link to WiFi.

In general, we shouldn't be connecting home energy systems to do anything via the internet. This goes against Ofgem guidelines, which are designed to protect domestic energy supplies from malicious attack.

The data being fed from a Smart Meter to an IHD offers very small risk, however. It employs a different network (Zigbee) than that used to send commands to/fro the meters.

Once we start seeing 3rd-party appliances available for use with Smart controls, these too should not be implemented using WiFi commands. SMETS2 meters have a minimum 5 channels of Auxilliary Load Control Switches to communicate with in-home appliances, and this is clearly the preferred strategy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello, @Dazzammm

I am not entirely sure of the full benefit connecting your smart meter to your router. I currently have not done this as the engineer didn't mention anything to me either. But I guess it could be a feature which has been implemented early on in stage ready for what OVO might have in place for the future with their smart home devices such as V2G and battery storage.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the handy explanation @wifirouterlogn,

However, as we have to open the Home Area Network (HAN) for this pairing to work, we would just advise customers to give us a quick call and we can go through all of this in one go!

Thanks!
Hello, @Dazzammm

I agree with this comment because I also think the same thing, i read a information on TP-Link Customer Service page here also mentioned some this types of information I request you to read the information.
Hello @Dazzammm, I hope your concern gets resolved. But for the people who may have the same issue or concern for their information, As per my knowledge smart meters uses mobile networks. It has a sim card. Or for connecting it to your router or anything related to router setting, Contact router login setup.
Thanks for the suggestion. Contacting geek squad support team can help in this issue.