Solved

Recycling the IHD when I move to a new supplier

• 8 October 2019
  • 4 replies

hi - ovo just significantly increased our tariff so we switched supplier. how do we recycle our smart meter? i assume given the company's green credentials, you reuse and recycle them. where do i send it to?
icon

Best answer by SR3 9 October 2019, 10:03

If you have a SMETS2 meter as shown in the above pic your IHD should remain working with your new supplier although may take a week or two to update with new tariff costs etc
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @twgj. Are you referring to the actual meter which look like the one in the left photo, or the In-Home-Device, on the right?

Only a qualified engineer may remove or replace a Smart Meter.

In any case, I'm puzzled why you'd expect to return anything to OVO. Your new Energy Supplier will still be able to use this equipment.
Userlevel 3
Badge
If you have a SMETS2 meter as shown in the above pic your IHD should remain working with your new supplier although may take a week or two to update with new tariff costs etc
thanks for the replies - i was referring to the in home device - interesting to know that this should keep working for the new supplier...
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Happy we've clarified that @twgj.

In fact your IHD is "paired" to the Communications Hub on top of your Electricity Smart Meter. Separating them would make it necessary for an engineer to undertake a re-pairing sequence should your present Supplier wish to re-establish an IHD within your home. You couldn't just be sent another IHD in the post!