Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) showing incorrect prices - why?

Good morning.

Ever since I've had my Smart Meters installed, my IHD has definitely been showing incorrect rates, even if you take into account that it shows VAT and My Ovo doesn't.

How do I get this corrected on the IHD so the estimated spend figures in £ are correct?

Under Electricity on the IHD the tariff is 'NEWENERGY' and Gas is 'Ovo Variable'.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 May 2017, 13:32

View original

78 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 15/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Your Pipit In Home Display (IHD) should be updated with your plan prices via your Smart Meter. If you’ve recently started a new plan it may take a few days for this information to be updated.

As you mentioned, the IHD will show your prices including VAT, and the ‘Plan’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS), shows the same rates excluding VAT. If your unit prices and standing charges are different by more than 5% and it’s been over a week since your plan started, reach out to the Support Team - we might need to check that the IHD is paired and the correct tariff has been updated on your meters.

This default estimated bill screen on your Pipit In Home Display (IHD) doesn't necessarily match your monthly billing cycle. This figure can't be reset manually but will reset after a tariff change, so when you renew, or with a price change if you're on the Simpler Energy plan. Think of it as a ‘Total usage since last tariff change’ figure. 

If you’re looking to check your current monthly cost the best place to head is the ‘Billing’ page of your online account. This will update daily if you have your smart meter set to send us a reading either daily or half hourly. If you would like to update the reading schedule of your meter to allow this, contact our Support Team to request this change.

The advice above relates to the Pipit IHD, if you have a Chameleon IHD see the guides below for more help with these:

SMETS1 Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) guide

SMETS2 In Home Display (IHD) guide

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Tim, thanks for your prompt response. I've sent you a PM - mine are definitely out by >5%.
I'm new to this forum, so my questions have probably already been discussed. Anyway, regarding my smart meter, I am obviously paying for the electricity for it. How much does it cost to run?

I have just received my latest bill which came to £21.25. OVO have estimated my next bill as £76.43, which is 189% more than this month. It's the height of summer, no heating on, why would my bill be so high?

Another point: my smart meter states my estimated bill to be £90.98. Question: A) why is it estimated when the smart meter is supposed to accurately state amount of electricity used?

Finally, I check my meter each morning and there always seems to be some huge surge overnight as though I have switched everything on before I go to bed. However, when I check it later in the day, the graph drops down considerably. What's that all about?

Needless to say I am not impressed with these meters. I don't think there's anything 'smart' about them. I always happily read my meter myself and wish I had left it like that.
Hey @gloann

I’ve moved your query to another topic which answers your estimated bill query. Please take a look at Tim’s ‘best answer’ at the top of the page.

Smart meters are free of charge and having them fitted won't have a direct effect on your costs - but it will make your billing more accurate. So, if you weren't giving us regular meter readings before and we were estimating your usage to be lower, the new smart meter readings will update your account.

Although there is no cost to run the smart meters, you will be paying a daily standing charge that covers the costs of the pipes and power lines that carry gas and electricity into your home.

You also referred to a graph showing inconsistent energy use, could I confirm where you are looking at this?

Thanks,
Emily
I have changed my plan from variable to fixed but our energy usage display still shows us on the the higher variable rates 36 hours later. When will the correct pricing be set?

Hoppity
I have changed my plan from variable to fixed but our energy usage display still shows us on the the higher variable rates 36 hours later. When will the correct pricing be set?

Hoppity

Hi @Hoppity

I've moved your post over to an existing topic which best answers your query. For more information please have a look at Tim's 'best answer' at the top.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Thanks for the response but it doesn't answer my question. I am on Better Energy and the monitor still has me on the variable plan - confirmed by both the code name for the plan and the VAT inclusive prices for the West Midlands. So the question still stands, when is my meter going to update to reflect my current plan?

Hoppity
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the response but it doesn't answer my question. I am on Better Energy and the monitor still has me on the variable plan - confirmed by both the code name for the plan and the VAT inclusive prices for the West Midlands. So the question still stands, when is my meter going to update to reflect my current plan?

Hoppity

It looks like we might need to manually change this for you @hoppity. I’ve sent you a PM so I can look into this further for you.

Lucy
Hi there, stumbling through the tutorial and general button pressing I've established that the daily standing charge and the price per kWh are both wrong on my display, This means the daily usage costs are always going to be wrong.

Can I change this or does it get sent to the device from OVO?

My contract was renewed on 12 August and my smart meter installed on the 4th September so I expected it to be correct.

Thanks in advance. Siobhan
@Lucy_OVO
I think I have the same issue, I've posted another query as I couldn't find this at the time. Does it mean I need some manual changes to apply my tariff correctly to the new IHD?
Userlevel 7
@Lucy_OVO
I think I have the same issue, I've posted another query as I couldn't find this at the time. Does it mean I need some manual changes to apply my tariff correctly to the new IHD?

Hi Siobhan55

If you have the same issue it sounds likely, if you send over your details to Lucy as she advised above via a PM, she can take a look for you and try and resolve it.

Thanks

Darran
Userlevel 5
Hi there, stumbling through the tutorial and general button pressing I've established that the daily standing charge and the price per kWh are both wrong on my display, This means the daily usage costs are always going to be wrong.

Can I change this or does it get sent to the device from OVO?

My contract was renewed on 12 August and my smart meter installed on the 4th September so I expected it to be correct.

Thanks in advance. Siobhan

Hey Siobhan55,

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think you’ll find Tim’s response helpful.

If you need the Mods help for anything else, just let us know.

Lucy
Tariff on HID is way off by 2 p a unit electric and 1,2p gas well over the 5% difference and yes I know the web site doesn't have vat added and the HID does.. how do you get it changed and is that rate on the smart meter so am I being overcharged ?
My account Kwh are different to what my ihd is charging me has anybody else had these issues thanks for any replys
Hi mine is same my gas is out by 1p but my electricity is out by 3p which is quite a lot when you add it up
Userlevel 7
My account Kwh are different to what my ihd is charging me has anybody else had these issues thanks for any replys

@samwatling @Siobhan55 @Hoppity - able to advise @59darren on this one?
Userlevel 7
Tariff on HID is way off by 2 p a unit electric and 1,2p gas well over the 5% difference and yes I know the web site doesn't have vat added and the HID does.. how do you get it changed and is that rate on the smart meter so am I being overcharged ?

This sounds like it might have the wrong tariff loaded onto the In Home Display @martygturner. Can you share your tariff prices and a picture of the display so we can all take a look?

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 1
A word of warning to OVO customers who have had a new Smart Meter installed - check your gas & electricity rates under Account Info on the IHD. My rates were incorrect and did not match what I signed up to. As a result the cost of energy usage on the IHD were much higher than expected. Not what you would expect from OVO as a new customer is it? After firing off a couple of emails it was established that the wrong rates had been uploaded to my IHD, causing the problem.

OVO have now sorted the issue and all is well. It pays to check these figures out. After all, the IHD is there to help us keep check of what energy we're using, not giving misleading and false info.
Had smart meter fitted 3 months ago - took over 2 months to get readings sorted.
Is it worth it? No gas data on indoor viewer.
Useage significantly higher on indoor display than on OVO app on my phone.
Direct debits - a worrying trend. When smart meter fitted OVO suggested dd change to £25 - ignored that one. Now they suggest £130 per month!!! Estimated useage £1026 per annum

They need to get things sorted or they will lose their customers faith
I have just had a new smart meter fitted but the credit rates shown on the display are not the same as on my contract, can i change the rates myself with the display unit?.
Userlevel 5
Hi,

I had the same problem when I signed up. There is no way to change the IHD manually.

There seems to be some sort of IT problem which OVO are aware of. See the post from @sjh21 https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/new-customer-can-i-have-instructions-for-the-ihd-794

You can either email customer services or sent a private message to @Tim_OVO with your details to get your IHD tariff updated.
Just had smart meter installed 2 hours ago. The engineer said tariff will be updated automatically from default within next 20 minutes, this hasn't happened. Was she being optimistic?
I've googled this and found it's not uncommon (on the OVO forums).

New smart meter installed last Friday....

My daily charge is correct (contract tariff + 5% VAT) but my unit charge on the smart meter is contract + 5% VAT + 20.7% for gas and contract + 5% VAT + 19.8% for electricity.

I've also read that "although it doesn't matter as the bills will be correct" my usage cost that are showing back on my OVO account are based on standing charge + "incorrect" unit charge (and I haven't found a forum result on that one).

Will the bill be correct? Can the smart meter tariff be corrected?

Just had smart meter installed 2 hours ago. The engineer said tariff will be updated automatically from default within next 20 minutes, this hasn't happened. Was she being optimistic?

Hey @manicbikeman

Just a heads up - I've edited your topic so other users can find it easily if looking for the same answer.

If the tariff still hasn't updated on the IHD, send us a message via FacebookTwitter or webchat via the Help Centre, so we can check.

If it has updated since posting this topic, please can you let us know how long it took or if you had to do anything?

Thanks,
Emma

Hi, I had a new gas and electric smart meter installed a few days ago and the IHD is displaying a different tariff (and energy rates per kWh) to the one I'm on. This is leading to inaccurate information about the cost per day for each fuel. Please help.

Kind Regards,
Dan