Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) estimated bill isn't resetting - is this right?

I had my smart meter fitted and everything has worked great so far. The only problem is that after about a month the electricity estimated bill reset to £0.00 to start calculating for a new month. So far though, the gas just keeps increasing. My bill online is all fine and my direct debit hasn't changed but it's frustrating to not be able to work out what my gas bill will be for the next month. Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 May 2017, 11:19

I had my smart meter fitted and everything has worked great so far. The only problem is that after about a month the electricity estimated bill reset to £0.00 to start calculating for a new month. So far though, the gas just keeps increasing. My bill online is all fine and my direct debit hasn't changed but it's frustrating to not be able to work out what my gas bill will be for the next month. Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?
Thanks

Me again @Lindsey138

In short, this default estimated bill screen on the In Home Display (IHD) doesn't link up with the bills on your My OVO page, so it won't reset after each statement. It's therefore not that useful (if I'm honest) and you should use the statements on My OVO to view your charges.

The figures will reset after a tariff change, so when you renew, or with a price change if you're on the Simpler Energy plan. More info (as always) on OVO Answers here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-the-buttons-on-my-in-home-display-screen-mean.html.

This display can't be reset manually.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

58 replies

Yes the new rates have been updated....
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
The internal display works well and i can see when usage is high. However, I am unable to get any decent indication of my estimated bill because the totals are not zeroed when my meter is automatically read. Is there anyway that it can start afresh when the date is taken by OVO.

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) @Enfield Paul 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Am afraid I do not know what to suggest, as my smart meter displays a running total for both gas and electric, neither one has ever reset when we enter a new month so am not sure whether it is supposed to reset or not.

Hopefully someone from OVO can clarify this.
Thanks for your reply.
I think I was a bit unclear in my original post. My electricity reading on my smart display reset to £0 about a month after it was installed, not on the first of a new month. I presumed that it would do that for both so I could see what my next bill would be.

This was on the ovo display unit I got from the engineer, not on the actual meters.

I am hoping someone from Ovo can clarify it!
Badge
Have you looked through the menu options? You can review your history by hour day week or month. The month also shows your annual bill. You shoud be able to view gas and electricity seperately.
Hi since my Smart meters were installed the estimated bill has just increased each day despite having two statements in the meantime. Is it possible to reset this every statement?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There is no way to do it manually (unfortunately).

Are your unit rates/standing charges changing when you start your new two year fixed?

I believe the ONLY time the home screen on the PIPIT 500 resets is when new tariffs are loaded to your meters.

When my smart meter was first installed the rates on my IHD were wrong. When they pushed the new rates to the meter the home
screen went back to £0 and had been counting up since.

I believe that the rates loaded on the meter are only used for estimating usage on the IHD and meters. The bill is calculated based on your contracted rates and meter readings sent automatically by the smart meter.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Keep us posted!
In home HD display is just a flashing gimmick waste of time it does not reset after each bill it just keeps adding on so you never get a correct bill from month to month, may as well unplug it and save on the electricity.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey @Ian25, I've moved your query to this existing topic to give you the answer you're looking for!

Check out @Tim_OVO's best answer at the top of this thread for the information you need.

Also, its worth noting that the 'Secure' smart meters we fit are the most popular, in terms of the number of other suppliers who can also communicate with them. As well as this, an upcoming remote software update will make every S1 meter compatible with all suppliers and hopefully incorporate the In Home Display (IHD) units becoming uniform in terms of their functionality.

Hope this helped!
I had my smart metre installed a few days ago. I've notice that overnight my estimated bill goes up even though i've been asleep and certainly not using any gas... is this because the standing charge is added daily onto my bill or do i need to expect an additional charge and then figure out if im leaking gas somehow?

Hey @EAnd

I've moved your post over to an existing topic on IHDs and estimated bills - just have a look at Tim's 'best answer' above. Essentially the estimated bill refers to the amount of energy you’ve used since the hub was connected to the meter - this will only ever be an estimated figure.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Hey guys!

Thanks for getting involved on the Forum!

Your In Home Display unit's estimated bill screen refers to the amount of energy you’ve used since the hub was connected to the meter. This will only ever be an estimated figure and will only refresh at the end of your contract.

Your unit will display your kWh usage on a daily, weekly or monthly basis - but you'll need to refer to your online account or monthly statements to view your charges.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
come on ovo get it sorted or you will be in breach of contract and I'll have to move on

Hey elbmek,

Are you referring to your smart meter itself or the In Home Display (IHD)? It sounds like you’re referring to your IHD but I just want to check.

On the IHD, the estimated bill section won’t reset. However, you’ll be able to see your usage for the day, week and month under the ‘History’ section. Please refer to this to see a breakdown of your usage in £ or kWh.

Maybe some other users can share their experience of this to help you too?

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Lucy
I was referring to the in home display unit. Looking at the monthly usage isn't that useful when trying to keep tabs on your next bill, as the billing period isn't from the 1st of the month.

My electric estimated bill reading did reset to £0 after the first month, but the gas is running on. The screen that says your estimated bill for next month is therefore completely wrong.

Will this be addressed on these display units?
Thanks

Hey Lindsey138,

That’s the first time I’ve heard of the bill resetting so I’m not sure what happened with that.

It’s something the team are aware of but I don't think there’s going to be an immediate change anytime soon as I don't think it would be straightforward to do. It may be the case that we look into different In Home Displays (IHD) to see if there’s a more suitable appliance but again, I think this is more longer term.

Even though it’s not ideal, checking your usage via the ‘History’ tab and your statements will be the best way to keep track of your usage.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I’d like the reset code for my pipes 500IHD. Tp be of any real use I’d like to be able to zero the display fro time to time.

Hey Martingrant1,

I’m afraid we can’t get a code to reset your In Home Display (IHD) but you’ll be able to view your usage on your IHD under the ‘History’ tab.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi I've only had my smart meter for almost 3 months, but the other day my electric on my smart meter reset back to £0 whilst the gas continued to calculate usage.
If I click on the electricity icon on the menu screen, it says no data?
Why is this?
Thank you in advance.

Hey @jules831b,

I hope you don't mind but I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think there is some useful information on here.

It sounds like you’re referring to your In Home Display (IHD) rather than the smart meter itself. It sounds like the electricity might have reset either because of a change in your tariff (normally if you’re on the Simpler Energy plan).

Feel free to send over some screenshots to the Social team on either Facebook or Twitter if you’d like them to look into this further for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey Pamelamonks,

Your In Home Display (IHD) shouldn’t reset. Can you let me know what section of the IHD you’re referring to? You should be able to see your usage in the ‘History’ section.

If you remain concerned, can you please include a screenshot of what you’re seeing in your comment?

I hope you don't mind but I've moved your topic to one of our existing topics on IHD's and the estimated bill section, as I think you'll find this topic useful.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
i'm getting exactly the same problem on my IHD. My electricity resets to zero each month so gives me an easy to see indication of where I am up to. £31 for the month so far. My gas doesn't and so it's at £315. very frustrating, I thought the whole point was to encourage green usage and being able to monitor our usage in a simple and straightforward way - clicking into my history every time isn't simple and straightforward....

I can appreciate how this estimated bill screen might be useful. Sadly the current In Home Displays are unable to link up with your My OVO bills. So the electricity costs won't match up even if it does reset every month. For accurate monthly costs, refer to those statements and My Usage data in My OVO here: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

Here's a great page showing you how to get the most out of your In Home Display: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html. Also, we're working on a great new In Home Display, which is coming later on in 2017, so watch this space!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks

Me again @Lindsey138

In short, this default estimated bill screen on the In Home Display (IHD) doesn't link up with the bills on your My OVO page, so it won't reset after each statement. It's therefore not that useful (if I'm honest) and you should use the statements on My OVO to view your charges.

The figures will reset after a tariff change, so when you renew, or with a price change if you're on the Simpler Energy plan. More info (as always) on OVO Answers here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-the-buttons-on-my-in-home-display-screen-mean.html.

This display can't be reset manually.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I recently received and installed my in house smart meter, however after a few weeks I am confused by the Est. Bill on my dual fuel readings. So what are these and how are they calculated?. They appear to increase day by day.
Regards AlexofNorwich

Hi @AlexofNorwich

I've moved your query over to a topic on this very same subject. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for all the info you need.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Why does the amount you owe not reset after payment been received

Hi @loulou76

I've moved your query to another topic on this issue. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on this estimated bill display.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi since my Smart meters were installed the estimated bill has just increased each day despite having two statements in the meantime. Is it possible to reset this every statement?

Same as above, @Radar64 - check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on this estimated bill screen.

Tim
Hi Lucy
I was referring to the in home display unit. Looking at the monthly usage isn't that useful when trying to keep tabs on your next bill, as the billing period isn't from the 1st of the month.

My electric estimated bill reading did reset to £0 after the first month, but the gas is running on. The screen that says your estimated bill for next month is therefore completely wrong.

Will this be addressed on these display units?
Thanks
Badge
same here, and not happy. My former supplier, BG, had a smart meter that showed amount as is, directly. Mine, since Feb 14, has been showing estimated, although I have been told this is actually 'accurate'.

Get it sorted guys, I want accurate info not guesswork. I also have never had a 'reset' .........................
Badge
come on ovo get it sorted or you will be in breach of contract and I'll have to move on