Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) data won't change - can it be reset?

• 31 August 2017
  • 36 replies

My in home display, a Secure Pipit 500, has been showing the same information for over a month now even though it says the information has been updated to the current date and time. How can I reset it to show the correct information?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 September 2017, 15:27

Just putting out a general answer to this for other users with a similar query: your In Home Display (IHD) should be updating, but if it isn't the reason's not always clear. A fault is possible, but the IHD might also be too far from the electricity meter - simply moving it closer should sort this.

Send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) as we might need to swap it with a replacement.

Tim

Updated 07/05/2020

View original

36 replies

Recently my In Home Display constantly displays 'No Data' for both gas and electric and has a line through the wireless icon. I have tried taking the IHD and standing in front of the meter but still no change. I have been with Ovo for 3 years and never had issues before, so shouldn't be a signal issue as both meters are next to each other.

Also this month I am unable to see any gas usage in MyOvo but electric is fine.

Any ideas?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Any ideas?

Hey @MarkShaw - I've moved your post here where you can find troubleshooting information for IHD issues 🤓
Just answer the question, what is the reset pin, un-pair pin , network pin. Why be so obstructive over such a small detail that lots of people would find useful?
This useless piece of equipment keeps freezing. Could you please let me know the code to try and reset if possible or it’s going out the window. It keeps track of nothing and I have sent 2 emails over the past years of being with yourselves. I have tried removing the batteries and leaving unplugged for 24 hours and it still shows the same useless screen. Please help.

Hey @Tim Matthews

I've moved your query over to this topic as you might find other comments in here helpful.

So we can understand what's going on with your IHD, can you attach a photo of the screen it's stuck on?

Thanks,
Emma
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @Buster,

We really want the Customer Forum to be a place where users can interact with each other, and we’re glad to see that @Martingrrant1 stepped in to comment. Apologies that you didn't get a response from one of the Moderators though.

I can double check this timeframe as to my knowledge, it was between 2-3 weeks. If you’d like me to, just reply to the private message I’ve sent you and I can get some more information.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thank you for your recent private message on this @Buster. For now, please refer to the ‘History’ section to check your usage.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Buster- I believe @Tim_OVO sent you a PM shortly after you posted this. :)

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Oh dear @buzzhunter- sounds like it was causing a bit of mischief! Glad to hear it's up and running for you now though.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just putting out a general answer to this for other users with a similar query: your In Home Display (IHD) should be updating, but if it isn't the reason's not always clear. A fault is possible, but the IHD might also be too far from the electricity meter - simply moving it closer should sort this.

Send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) as we might need to swap it with a replacement.

Tim

Updated 07/05/2020

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Just for information @Tim_OVOeven a replacement will not always solve this problem. An OVO Smart Meter Guru told me that sometimes the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, if it's not updating then it needs moving closer to the Smart Meter (but assuming you haven't moved it further away this doesn't make sense) or it's broken and needs replacing. If it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. Hope this helps.

Hi @Buster

I've popped your comment into another topic on IHD issues.

If your IHD has never worked, it might not be linked up with your smart meters. I'll need a PM to check, so I'll send you this now. Otherwise, have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) for other possible causes.

Remember you also have the option to plug it in to a nearby socket and spare those batteries!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Buster

Us lot at OVO won't be the quickest to respond here on the forum. It's a place for users to chat to each other. For customer service queries, better to reach out to us directly via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

As far as I know the ‘estimated bill’ feature will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change, and will not reset each month. We are rolling out the Chameleon IHD to a small number of customers when they get their smart meter fitted. I won't be able to confirm if/when this roll out is expanded. However I feel someone needs to defend the Pipet 500 a bit. Here’s some info on how to get the most out of it: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html.

It sounds like you have a semi concealed meter box set up. This can cause issues and often the engineer will abort the gas meter fitting if they feel the box is too small. If the box is not water tight as a result of this meter exchange, please reach out to our Care team, who might need to arrange for the meter to be replaced: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
Well this isn't very good, is it? Posted my question 9 days ago and still no response whatsoever from anyone at OVO. I have since telephoned OVO and all they can suggest is that they replace my IHD but it will take 7 weeks to deliver a new unit. Not very impressive, in fact pretty awful customer service in my opinion. Seems that the point of having a Smart Meter fitted is more for OVO's convenience than mine.
Hey @Buster,

We really want the Customer Forum to be a place where users can interact with each other, and we’re glad to see that @Martingrrant1 stepped in to comment. Apologies that you didn't get a response from one of the Moderators though.

I can double check this timeframe as to my knowledge, it was between 2-3 weeks. If you’d like me to, just reply to the private message I’ve sent you and I can get some more information.

Lucy

Many thanks Lucy, although I haven't received a reply from you the new IHD arrived this morning. I set it up and it's working, that's the good news. The bad news is that it's still showing the incorrect readings as before, so I can only assume that there was nothing wrong with the old unit.
So to ask the same question again, how can I reset it to show the correct information?
Be nice to get some input, I think @Martingrant1 might appreciate some input too.
Just for information @Tim_OVOeven a replacement will not always solve this problem. An OVO Smart Meter Guru told me that sometimes the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, if it's not updating then it needs moving closer to the Smart Meter (but assuming you haven't moved it further away this doesn't make sense) or it's broken and needs replacing. If it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. Hope this helps.

Hi @Buster

I've popped your comment into another topic on IHD issues.

If your IHD has never worked, it might not be linked up with your smart meters. I'll need a PM to check, so I'll send you this now. Otherwise, have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) for other possible causes.

Remember you also have the option to plug it in to a nearby socket and spare those batteries!

Tim

Hi @Tim_OVO my Smart Meter has always worked, that is until it stopped working and has always been plugged into the mains socket...and switched on! It just stopped showing updated readings, in spite of the info on the screen which told me that it had updated, the readings remained static. It has never been moved from its original position. The replacement shows updated readings but they bear no relationship to actual consumption, something which as I said in my earlier post cannot be rectified until the regeneration of a new contract. I must say I agree with @Rickovo"I have become highly cynical about all this smart meter stuff" it does seem more for the benefit of OVO than the customer. I do understand that there is a benefit in the accuracy of bills and readings but as a customer with a Smart Meter which doesn't give me the information I require there doesn't appear to be much "customer benefit."
I'm hoping that by the time my contract comes up for renewal in March someone will have sorted out the software/hardware glitches that some of us are experiencing with these units. Most of these posts ask for a way to reset the IHD due to them showing incorrect readings but no-one has received an answer. I must say that I have now unplugged mine and no longer use it. It is a complete waste of time. The only benefit as far as I can see to having a smart meter fitted is so that OVO can keep an accurate record of usage rather than relying on customers submitting regular readings. The IHD is a completely useless piece of kit. I am considering changing supplier in March because OVO seem incapable of sorting out this problem.
I have had a replacement which is suffering exactly the same problems as my original unit, it does not display current monthly estimated bill. When I telephoned OVO after the replacement continued to show the incorrect readings they put me through to a "Smart Meter Guru" who told me that the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, he said, if it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. It isn't possible to reset the unit, so if this happens in April after a contract renewal in March you have to wait nearly a year to get back functionality and there are no guarantees this isn't going to be a regular problem.
I do understand the benefits of having a Smart Meter but if they are not comprehensive and include those that I find useful then it doesn't matter how comprehensive they are, they are of absolutely no use to me.
Screenshot attached showing inaccurate estimated readings for both Gas and Electricity. This reading should reset every month but in my case it doesn't and just appears, I assume, as an incrementally increasing reading. In the absence of any ability to reset the unit or in preference get it to work properly it does not give me the information I require and so is therefore useless to me. OVO have told me that this is a problem with these units which I suppose begs the question, what are OVO going to do about it, carry on using them without any remedy to allow customers to get full benefit of Smart Meters? Or are they going to sort this out with the Smart Meter software/hardware providers in order to provide the level of customer service they suggest they are so good at?

Hey @rn3199 and @steveg440,

I've moved your comments onto this thread where users are discussing the same query.

@Buster, just to clarify - the Pipit 500 units don't reset after every month of billing. They're not connected to our billing system so they wouldn't know when to do this for each customer. It's not so much a fault or problem with these units, it's just the way they're designed. We've certainly had a lot of feedback around this, which is why we've acted on it and started testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD.

In the mean time, you can see a projection of your next month's bill (just for the next month, not a cumulative total) on your online account, which sounds like the information you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Up until my original post a few months ago my Smart Meter gave me cumulative readings every month, resetting at the end of each bill cycle so that I could see how much energy I had used on a monthly basis and the likely cost of my bill. When the unit decided to change to a cumulative total which did not reset every month it became useless to me.
If, as you say, you are testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD does this mean it is being fitted without being fully tested and you are expecting customers to provide the testing experience? Are these units going to replace the Pipit 500's? Are existing customers going to be equipped with the Chameleon IHD or are we just going to have to put up with these useless units.
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to understand what customers are asking for, they want to see the cumulative total for the existing month to tell them how much their next bill is likely to be. I am fully aware that I can see a projection of next months bill online but this is not what I am looking for, the two things are completely different. I'm sorry if I misled you but I can't find anything in my posts which suggest that I am looking for a projection of next month's bill.
When can I expect delivery of my Chameleon IHD to replace the useless Pipit 500?
Hey @rn3199 and @steveg440,

I've moved your comments onto this thread where users are discussing the same query.

@Buster, just to clarify - the Pipit 500 units don't reset after every month of billing. They're not connected to our billing system so they wouldn't know when to do this for each customer. It's not so much a fault or problem with these units, it's just the way they're designed. We've certainly had a lot of feedback around this, which is why we've acted on it and started testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD.

In the mean time, you can see a projection of your next month's bill (just for the next month, not a cumulative total) on your online account, which sounds like the information you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Up until my original post a few months ago my Smart Meter gave me cumulative readings every month, resetting at the end of each bill cycle so that I could see how much energy I had used on a monthly basis and the likely cost of my bill. When the unit decided to change to a cumulative total which did not reset every month it became useless to me.
If, as you say, you are testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD does this mean it is being fitted without being fully tested and you are expecting customers to provide the testing experience? Are these units going to replace the Pipit 500's? Are existing customers going to be equipped with the Chameleon IHD or are we just going to have to put up with these useless units.
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to understand what customers are asking for, they want to see the cumulative total for the existing month to tell them how much their next bill is likely to be. I am fully aware that I can see a projection of next months bill online but this is not what I am looking for, the two things are completely different. I'm sorry if I misled you but I can't find anything in my posts which suggest that I am looking for a projection of next month's bill.
When can I expect delivery of my Chameleon IHD to replace the useless Pipit 500?

Posted this some time ago now but no one appears to have answered any of my questions. Is there any chance anyone 'in the know' can enlighten me as to when I can expect my Pipit 500 to be replaced with the new Chameleon unit?

Nothing needs to be tested. Just use the same units that British Gas use. Already tried tested & working.
Pity they didnt try & test the smart gas meter modification before fitting to the ground brown boxes. They sit too high & lids do not close. Modification panel does not sit low enough. Still at least 3inches space left below the meter, but designed so meter pipies when fitted prevent lid from closing by 1 inch or so.
Who are these over paid idiots who get high saleries to get things WRONG.
Am sure my Grandson could design better.

Totally agree with your comments @rn3199 the engineer who came to fit my gas supply smart meter had real trouble fitting because the unit supplied to him did not fit in the ground box, the pipes, as you say, prevented the lid from closing. Whoever designed them needs a course in basic design.

Any response to these questions would be much appreciated or are OVO hoping that if they ignore them then they will disappear? Unlikely, because we are the poor customers who have to live with these problems.
Hi @Buster

Us lot at OVO won't be the quickest to respond here on the forum. It's a place for users to chat to each other. For customer service queries, better to reach out to us directly via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

As far as I know the ‘estimated bill’ feature will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change, and will not reset each month. We are rolling out the Chameleon IHD to a small number of customers when they get their smart meter fitted. I won't be able to confirm if/when this roll out is expanded. However I feel someone needs to defend the Pipet 500 a bit. Here’s some info on how to get the most out of it: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html.

It sounds like you have a semi concealed meter box set up. This can cause issues and often the engineer will abort the gas meter fitting if they feel the box is too small. If the box is not water tight as a result of this meter exchange, please reach out to our Care team, who might need to arrange for the meter to be replaced: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim

Many thanks for your reply @Tim_OVO, forgive me but I always thought that the forum was a place for users to chat and for OVO to pick up issues of concern being discussed and to try and help when and where possible. What seems to be happening here is that users are raising real issues of concern regarding the Pipit 500 IHD units supplied by OVO but these issues are being ignored by OVO. Having said that someone at OVO must have realised that the Pipit 500 IHD unit was so poor it needed replacing, hence the Chameleon unit adoption. I find it really sad that a company that places customer service so high on it's agenda spends so much time defending what to customers is a poor quality unit when there are so obviously better items available. You have obviously got a more comprehensive view of the comments on this forum than I, but even just a cursory glance should give you some idea of the numerous negative comments regarding the Pipit 500 supplied to customers and their suggestions for alternatives. I don't want to continually repeat my previous posts regarding the shortfalls of this unit, many, many users have voiced their concerns, your link to getting the most out of the Pipit 500 unit really doesn't help move this debate forward, it just stagnates in a circular arguement because the unit does not do what users want whereas other units on the market do and historically it has stopped giving the information many users require and found useful. It is such a pity that OVO seem to have fallen into the same trap that so many companies do when they become successful, ignore your existing customer base and only apply new, exciting incentives to new customers. It would be nice to know if OVO intend to supply their existing, loyal customers with the new Chameleon units or whether we will all just have to put up with the Pipit 500. Loyalty seems to count for nothing these days.
I really don't know whether you have misread the posts regarding the fitting of the smart meter to the gas meter, just to clarify, the fitting kit supplied to the engineers did not fit and required modification by them. It has nothing to do with the box being too small or the box not being watertight. I am sure the feedback you receive from the engineers fitting these units will confirm this but that's probably a problem with the company contracted to fit these units rather than with OVO themselves but it is an illustration of the frustration felt by many of your customers over what was promised to be a useful gadget to monitor usage which has now become useless to us that they raise issues like this and blame OVO for the problems.
Why don't you break the mould and treat and reward your existing customers by supplying them with the new Chameleon units rather than just rolling out to new customers as a join up incentive?
My in home smart meter display, a Secure Pipit 500, has been showing the same information for over a month now even though it says the information has been updated to the current date and time. How can I reset it to show the correct information?

I'd like to know the default reset code as this was not provided at installation. It would be useful to align readings to monthly bill cycle or to use of new item of equipment, installation of lights etc.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello. Our Smart Meter display hasn't moved from 3.11kWh today, despite having run a bath (the Usage wavy line gizmo simply shows zero), and when I went outside and checked the gas meter it shows 00078 which is apparently lower than previous readings (so isn't accepted as a reading). Up until the last couple of days the gas usage has been showing, so I wonder if something is amiss.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And now it's working again! Obviously just doesn't like the cold weather!!
Hi, my IHDU has never worked since it was installed in January 2017. Ovo are getting my readings OK, but the wall unit always reads "No Data". I have become highly cynical about all this smart meter stuff. With the old system, I could shine a torch on the meter and know exactly what I had used. I think this smart meter roll-out is a massive con - we will all be paying more for the equipment, only in my case I don't know what "gas and lekky" are up to. By the way, the display unit eats batteries. Not bad for something that doesn't actually give any information! Am I the only one who has this problem?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
My IHD shows my "estimated" bill as being that which corresponds to it's useage since day 1.

How can this be reset?

Hey @MikeWilliams,

I've moved your post to this thread where you should be able to find al lthe information you need!

Cheers,
Nancy