Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) data won't change - can it be reset?

Show first post

36 replies

Thanks Nancy,
Appreciate you can go online to see daily usage/cost & monthly, but NOT everyone with a smart meter has an online account.
It is not rocket science these days when you can send a signal to the moon. A signal is sent via the meters to give a reading, then these units should have been designed to recieve the same signal & zero as other power providers have done.
We after all will end up paying for these units in our power costs & for what, a second rate unit.
Can we expect at a future date to have these useless Pipit 500 units replaced free of charge with ones that will do what we want them to do such as the one British Gas use?
Unlike the Chameleon IHD you are testing? Why not install one that is already tried & tested & known to be working?
Hey @rn3199 and @steveg440,

I've moved your comments onto this thread where users are discussing the same query.

@Buster, just to clarify - the Pipit 500 units don't reset after every month of billing. They're not connected to our billing system so they wouldn't know when to do this for each customer. It's not so much a fault or problem with these units, it's just the way they're designed. We've certainly had a lot of feedback around this, which is why we've acted on it and started testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD.

In the mean time, you can see a projection of your next month's bill (just for the next month, not a cumulative total) on your online account, which sounds like the information you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Up until my original post a few months ago my Smart Meter gave me cumulative readings every month, resetting at the end of each bill cycle so that I could see how much energy I had used on a monthly basis and the likely cost of my bill. When the unit decided to change to a cumulative total which did not reset every month it became useless to me.
If, as you say, you are testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD does this mean it is being fitted without being fully tested and you are expecting customers to provide the testing experience? Are these units going to replace the Pipit 500's? Are existing customers going to be equipped with the Chameleon IHD or are we just going to have to put up with these useless units.
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to understand what customers are asking for, they want to see the cumulative total for the existing month to tell them how much their next bill is likely to be. I am fully aware that I can see a projection of next months bill online but this is not what I am looking for, the two things are completely different. I'm sorry if I misled you but I can't find anything in my posts which suggest that I am looking for a projection of next month's bill.
When can I expect delivery of my Chameleon IHD to replace the useless Pipit 500?
Nothing needs to be tested. Just use the same units that British Gas use. Already tried tested & working.
Pity they didnt try & test the smart gas meter modification before fitting to the ground brown boxes. They sit too high & lids do not close. Modification panel does not sit low enough. Still at least 3inches space left below the meter, but designed so meter pipies when fitted prevent lid from closing by 1 inch or so.
Who are these over paid idiots who get high saleries to get things WRONG.
Am sure my Grandson could design better.
Hey @rn3199 and @steveg440,

I've moved your comments onto this thread where users are discussing the same query.

@Buster, just to clarify - the Pipit 500 units don't reset after every month of billing. They're not connected to our billing system so they wouldn't know when to do this for each customer. It's not so much a fault or problem with these units, it's just the way they're designed. We've certainly had a lot of feedback around this, which is why we've acted on it and started testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD.

In the mean time, you can see a projection of your next month's bill (just for the next month, not a cumulative total) on your online account, which sounds like the information you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

I'm afraid that information is incorrect. Up until my original post a few months ago my Smart Meter gave me cumulative readings every month, resetting at the end of each bill cycle so that I could see how much energy I had used on a monthly basis and the likely cost of my bill. When the unit decided to change to a cumulative total which did not reset every month it became useless to me.
If, as you say, you are testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD does this mean it is being fitted without being fully tested and you are expecting customers to provide the testing experience? Are these units going to replace the Pipit 500's? Are existing customers going to be equipped with the Chameleon IHD or are we just going to have to put up with these useless units.
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to understand what customers are asking for, they want to see the cumulative total for the existing month to tell them how much their next bill is likely to be. I am fully aware that I can see a projection of next months bill online but this is not what I am looking for, the two things are completely different. I'm sorry if I misled you but I can't find anything in my posts which suggest that I am looking for a projection of next month's bill.
When can I expect delivery of my Chameleon IHD to replace the useless Pipit 500?

Posted this some time ago now but no one appears to have answered any of my questions. Is there any chance anyone 'in the know' can enlighten me as to when I can expect my Pipit 500 to be replaced with the new Chameleon unit?

Nothing needs to be tested. Just use the same units that British Gas use. Already tried tested & working.
Pity they didnt try & test the smart gas meter modification before fitting to the ground brown boxes. They sit too high & lids do not close. Modification panel does not sit low enough. Still at least 3inches space left below the meter, but designed so meter pipies when fitted prevent lid from closing by 1 inch or so.
Who are these over paid idiots who get high saleries to get things WRONG.
Am sure my Grandson could design better.

Totally agree with your comments @rn3199 the engineer who came to fit my gas supply smart meter had real trouble fitting because the unit supplied to him did not fit in the ground box, the pipes, as you say, prevented the lid from closing. Whoever designed them needs a course in basic design.

Any response to these questions would be much appreciated or are OVO hoping that if they ignore them then they will disappear? Unlikely, because we are the poor customers who have to live with these problems.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @Buster

Us lot at OVO won't be the quickest to respond here on the forum. It's a place for users to chat to each other. For customer service queries, better to reach out to us directly via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

As far as I know the ‘estimated bill’ feature will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change, and will not reset each month. We are rolling out the Chameleon IHD to a small number of customers when they get their smart meter fitted. I won't be able to confirm if/when this roll out is expanded. However I feel someone needs to defend the Pipet 500 a bit. Here’s some info on how to get the most out of it: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html.

It sounds like you have a semi concealed meter box set up. This can cause issues and often the engineer will abort the gas meter fitting if they feel the box is too small. If the box is not water tight as a result of this meter exchange, please reach out to our Care team, who might need to arrange for the meter to be replaced: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
Hi @Buster

Us lot at OVO won't be the quickest to respond here on the forum. It's a place for users to chat to each other. For customer service queries, better to reach out to us directly via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

As far as I know the ‘estimated bill’ feature will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change, and will not reset each month. We are rolling out the Chameleon IHD to a small number of customers when they get their smart meter fitted. I won't be able to confirm if/when this roll out is expanded. However I feel someone needs to defend the Pipet 500 a bit. Here’s some info on how to get the most out of it: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html.

It sounds like you have a semi concealed meter box set up. This can cause issues and often the engineer will abort the gas meter fitting if they feel the box is too small. If the box is not water tight as a result of this meter exchange, please reach out to our Care team, who might need to arrange for the meter to be replaced: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim

Many thanks for your reply @Tim_OVO, forgive me but I always thought that the forum was a place for users to chat and for OVO to pick up issues of concern being discussed and to try and help when and where possible. What seems to be happening here is that users are raising real issues of concern regarding the Pipit 500 IHD units supplied by OVO but these issues are being ignored by OVO. Having said that someone at OVO must have realised that the Pipit 500 IHD unit was so poor it needed replacing, hence the Chameleon unit adoption. I find it really sad that a company that places customer service so high on it's agenda spends so much time defending what to customers is a poor quality unit when there are so obviously better items available. You have obviously got a more comprehensive view of the comments on this forum than I, but even just a cursory glance should give you some idea of the numerous negative comments regarding the Pipit 500 supplied to customers and their suggestions for alternatives. I don't want to continually repeat my previous posts regarding the shortfalls of this unit, many, many users have voiced their concerns, your link to getting the most out of the Pipit 500 unit really doesn't help move this debate forward, it just stagnates in a circular arguement because the unit does not do what users want whereas other units on the market do and historically it has stopped giving the information many users require and found useful. It is such a pity that OVO seem to have fallen into the same trap that so many companies do when they become successful, ignore your existing customer base and only apply new, exciting incentives to new customers. It would be nice to know if OVO intend to supply their existing, loyal customers with the new Chameleon units or whether we will all just have to put up with the Pipit 500. Loyalty seems to count for nothing these days.
I really don't know whether you have misread the posts regarding the fitting of the smart meter to the gas meter, just to clarify, the fitting kit supplied to the engineers did not fit and required modification by them. It has nothing to do with the box being too small or the box not being watertight. I am sure the feedback you receive from the engineers fitting these units will confirm this but that's probably a problem with the company contracted to fit these units rather than with OVO themselves but it is an illustration of the frustration felt by many of your customers over what was promised to be a useful gadget to monitor usage which has now become useless to us that they raise issues like this and blame OVO for the problems.
Why don't you break the mould and treat and reward your existing customers by supplying them with the new Chameleon units rather than just rolling out to new customers as a join up incentive?
Recently my In Home Display constantly displays 'No Data' for both gas and electric and has a line through the wireless icon. I have tried taking the IHD and standing in front of the meter but still no change. I have been with Ovo for 3 years and never had issues before, so shouldn't be a signal issue as both meters are next to each other.

Also this month I am unable to see any gas usage in MyOvo but electric is fine.

Any ideas?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Any ideas?

Hey @MarkShaw - I've moved your post here where you can find troubleshooting information for IHD issues 🤓
Just answer the question, what is the reset pin, un-pair pin , network pin. Why be so obstructive over such a small detail that lots of people would find useful?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Jason10000 - there isn't a PIN. This function is for the engineer to use when your smart meters are initially set up.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings