Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) data won't change - can it be reset?

My in home smart meter display, a Secure Pipit 500, has been showing the same information for over a month now even though it says the information has been updated to the current date and time. How can I reset it to show the correct information?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 September 2017, 15:27

Just putting out a general answer to this for other users with a similar query: your In Home Display (IHD) should be updating, but if it isn't the reason's not always clear. A fault is possible, but the IHD might also be too far from the electricity meter - simply moving it closer should sort this.

Send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) as we might need to swap it with a replacement.

Tim

**Updated 17/07/2019**
View original

36 replies

My in home smart meter display, a Secure Pipit 500, has been showing the same information for over a month now even though it says the information has been updated to the current date and time. How can I reset it to show the correct information?

I'd like to know the default reset code as this was not provided at installation. It would be useful to align readings to monthly bill cycle or to use of new item of equipment, installation of lights etc.
Well this isn't very good, is it? Posted my question 9 days ago and still no response whatsoever from anyone at OVO. I have since telephoned OVO and all they can suggest is that they replace my IHD but it will take 7 weeks to deliver a new unit. Not very impressive, in fact pretty awful customer service in my opinion. Seems that the point of having a Smart Meter fitted is more for OVO's convenience than mine.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @Buster,

We really want the Customer Forum to be a place where users can interact with each other, and we’re glad to see that @Martingrrant1 stepped in to comment. Apologies that you didn't get a response from one of the Moderators though.

I can double check this timeframe as to my knowledge, it was between 2-3 weeks. If you’d like me to, just reply to the private message I’ve sent you and I can get some more information.

Lucy
Hey @Buster,

We really want the Customer Forum to be a place where users can interact with each other, and we’re glad to see that @Martingrrant1 stepped in to comment. Apologies that you didn't get a response from one of the Moderators though.

I can double check this timeframe as to my knowledge, it was between 2-3 weeks. If you’d like me to, just reply to the private message I’ve sent you and I can get some more information.

Lucy

Many thanks Lucy, although I haven't received a reply from you the new IHD arrived this morning. I set it up and it's working, that's the good news. The bad news is that it's still showing the incorrect readings as before, so I can only assume that there was nothing wrong with the old unit.
So to ask the same question again, how can I reset it to show the correct information?
Be nice to get some input, I think @Martingrant1 might appreciate some input too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thank you for your recent private message on this @Buster. For now, please refer to the ‘History’ section to check your usage.

Lucy
Hi, my IHDU has never worked since it was installed in January 2017. Ovo are getting my readings OK, but the wall unit always reads "No Data". I have become highly cynical about all this smart meter stuff. With the old system, I could shine a torch on the meter and know exactly what I had used. I think this smart meter roll-out is a massive con - we will all be paying more for the equipment, only in my case I don't know what "gas and lekky" are up to. By the way, the display unit eats batteries. Not bad for something that doesn't actually give any information! Am I the only one who has this problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Just putting out a general answer to this for other users with a similar query: your In Home Display (IHD) should be updating, but if it isn't the reason's not always clear. A fault is possible, but the IHD might also be too far from the electricity meter - simply moving it closer should sort this.

Send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) as we might need to swap it with a replacement.

Tim

**Updated 17/07/2019**
Just for information @Tim_OVOeven a replacement will not always solve this problem. An OVO Smart Meter Guru told me that sometimes the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, if it's not updating then it needs moving closer to the Smart Meter (but assuming you haven't moved it further away this doesn't make sense) or it's broken and needs replacing. If it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Just for information @Tim_OVOeven a replacement will not always solve this problem. An OVO Smart Meter Guru told me that sometimes the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, if it's not updating then it needs moving closer to the Smart Meter (but assuming you haven't moved it further away this doesn't make sense) or it's broken and needs replacing. If it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. Hope this helps.

Hi @Buster

I've popped your comment into another topic on IHD issues.

If your IHD has never worked, it might not be linked up with your smart meters. I'll need a PM to check, so I'll send you this now. Otherwise, have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) for other possible causes.

Remember you also have the option to plug it in to a nearby socket and spare those batteries!

Tim

Hi @Buster

I've popped your comment into another topic on IHD issues.

If your IHD has never worked, it might not be linked up with your smart meters. I'll need a PM to check, so I'll send you this now. Otherwise, have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) for other possible causes.

Remember you also have the option to plug it in to a nearby socket and spare those batteries!

Tim

Hi @Tim_OVO my Smart Meter has always worked, that is until it stopped working and has always been plugged into the mains socket...and switched on! It just stopped showing updated readings, in spite of the info on the screen which told me that it had updated, the readings remained static. It has never been moved from its original position. The replacement shows updated readings but they bear no relationship to actual consumption, something which as I said in my earlier post cannot be rectified until the regeneration of a new contract. I must say I agree with @Rickovo"I have become highly cynical about all this smart meter stuff" it does seem more for the benefit of OVO than the customer. I do understand that there is a benefit in the accuracy of bills and readings but as a customer with a Smart Meter which doesn't give me the information I require there doesn't appear to be much "customer benefit."
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Buster- I believe @Tim_OVO sent you a PM shortly after you posted this. :)

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello. Our Smart Meter display hasn't moved from 3.11kWh today, despite having run a bath (the Usage wavy line gizmo simply shows zero), and when I went outside and checked the gas meter it shows 00078 which is apparently lower than previous readings (so isn't accepted as a reading). Up until the last couple of days the gas usage has been showing, so I wonder if something is amiss.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And now it's working again! Obviously just doesn't like the cold weather!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Oh dear @buzzhunter- sounds like it was causing a bit of mischief! Glad to hear it's up and running for you now though.

Lucy
This useless piece of equipment keeps freezing. Could you please let me know the code to try and reset if possible or it’s going out the window. It keeps track of nothing and I have sent 2 emails over the past years of being with yourselves. I have tried removing the batteries and leaving unplugged for 24 hours and it still shows the same useless screen. Please help.
This useless piece of equipment keeps freezing. Could you please let me know the code to try and reset if possible or it’s going out the window. It keeps track of nothing and I have sent 2 emails over the past years of being with yourselves. I have tried removing the batteries and leaving unplugged for 24 hours and it still shows the same useless screen. Please help.

Hey @Tim Matthews

I've moved your query over to this topic as you might find other comments in here helpful.

So we can understand what's going on with your IHD, can you attach a photo of the screen it's stuck on?

Thanks,
Emma
Badge
My IHD shows my "estimated" bill as being that which corresponds to it's useage since day 1.

How can this be reset?
Userlevel 6
Badge
My IHD shows my "estimated" bill as being that which corresponds to it's useage since day 1.

How can this be reset?

Hey @MikeWilliams,

I've moved your post to this thread where you should be able to find al lthe information you need!

Cheers,
Nancy
I'm hoping that by the time my contract comes up for renewal in March someone will have sorted out the software/hardware glitches that some of us are experiencing with these units. Most of these posts ask for a way to reset the IHD due to them showing incorrect readings but no-one has received an answer. I must say that I have now unplugged mine and no longer use it. It is a complete waste of time. The only benefit as far as I can see to having a smart meter fitted is so that OVO can keep an accurate record of usage rather than relying on customers submitting regular readings. The IHD is a completely useless piece of kit. I am considering changing supplier in March because OVO seem incapable of sorting out this problem.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Buster,

I've had a look back through your comments on your thread and it sounds like your old IHD had frozen, and we've now sent you a replacement - is that right?

It seems really strange that a new IHD would have the exact same issue with it. If you could post a picture of the screen that's showing the wrong information, I'd really like to have a closer look at this for you. It's be a real shame if you were to switch because of this. I'm confident we can get the issue with the IHD fixed.

In the meantime, a benefit of having a Smart meter is that you'll have a much more comprehensive overview of your usage on your online account - have you looked at this?

Thanks,
Nancy
I have had a replacement which is suffering exactly the same problems as my original unit, it does not display current monthly estimated bill. When I telephoned OVO after the replacement continued to show the incorrect readings they put me through to a "Smart Meter Guru" who told me that the only thing that can reset the display is the regeneration of a contract which isn't possible mid contract cycle. To clarify, he said, if it's updating from an unknown reading then you will have to wait until your contract renewal before it can be reset to read accurately. It isn't possible to reset the unit, so if this happens in April after a contract renewal in March you have to wait nearly a year to get back functionality and there are no guarantees this isn't going to be a regular problem.
I do understand the benefits of having a Smart Meter but if they are not comprehensive and include those that I find useful then it doesn't matter how comprehensive they are, they are of absolutely no use to me.
Screenshot attached showing inaccurate estimated readings for both Gas and Electricity. This reading should reset every month but in my case it doesn't and just appears, I assume, as an incrementally increasing reading. In the absence of any ability to reset the unit or in preference get it to work properly it does not give me the information I require and so is therefore useless to me. OVO have told me that this is a problem with these units which I suppose begs the question, what are OVO going to do about it, carry on using them without any remedy to allow customers to get full benefit of Smart Meters? Or are they going to sort this out with the Smart Meter software/hardware providers in order to provide the level of customer service they suggest they are so good at?

Why is it that OTHER energy providers have internal units thet zero at the bill/ month end, but OVO units do not? Are they not that SMART. Unless you remove accumulated previos bills, you have NO idea how the amount of power being used in that current month is going.
I couldn’t agree more. I find this very frustrating. It should reset automatically after every bill.
My Brother has just had British gas intall smart meter, & inside monitor auto zeros each month.
Other than seeing the usage of different items, it is a waste of time.
My brothers shows Fresh accumulated cost per day over the month. Much more use.
Surprised OVO customers are getting second rate units
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @rn3199 and @steveg440,

I've moved your comments onto this thread where users are discussing the same query.

@Buster, just to clarify - the Pipit 500 units don't reset after every month of billing. They're not connected to our billing system so they wouldn't know when to do this for each customer. It's not so much a fault or problem with these units, it's just the way they're designed. We've certainly had a lot of feedback around this, which is why we've acted on it and started testing and rolling out the Chameleon IHD.

In the mean time, you can see a projection of your next month's bill (just for the next month, not a cumulative total) on your online account, which sounds like the information you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Nancy