Solved

Pay monthly customer - why is my Pipit 500 IHD asking me for a PIN?

Show first post

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

I have a paper copy of the guide to In-Home displays. Is it possible to get a pdf so that I can then recycle the paper one?

John

I like your thinking, green warrior. I've also moved this query to another topic about the In Home Display, just to keep it all in one place.

I don't have a PDF guide to send you, but we have loads of info on it via OVO Answers. Check out this link to see for yourself: https://www.ovoenergy.com/search/ovoanswers?query=In+Home+Display&doctype=answers.

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Am asking this more for my own peace of mind, but does the IHD dual totals reset if/when you renew your contract?
I have just entered into a new 2 year fixed deal with yourselves and noticed today that my estimated bill charges for both gas and electric are in pence, whereas they were previously displaying pounds (having had the smart meter fitted in Oct)

Hi Emma,

We've got a great Pay monthly topic on the In Home Display (IHD) already - I've moved your query to this topic to keep it all in the same place.

This sounds like the 'estimated bill' screen of the IHD. This does indeed reset when your tariff prices change. As this isn't linked with the bills on My OVO, I'd suggest ignoring the info shown on this screen. This is a great OVO Answers page showing the screens of the IHD that we do suggest you keep an eye on!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I have had meters changed - engineer said he would order the smart meter for in home - that was over two weeks ago and not arrived.

Despite a text , an email and the engineers order - I have not had any response - It would be nice if OVO could respond to this

Hi DeeBee,

We have an In Home Display (IHD) topic for both Pay monthly and Pay as you go customers. I've gone with a 50/50 guess and put this comment in the Pay monthly topic. If I guessed wrong, let me know and I'll move this again.

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of response to your texts and emails - these might not have been sent to the right team. If you PM me with your account number (or full address), full name and DoB, I'll get you added to a list for one of these IHD's to get posted to you. There's a backlog in getting them sent out. I'll check on an ETA and confirm this to you once I've got those details.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
The smart meter display is not useful.
It reverts to a not useful home page that can only be read from 6 inches away.
The graphical display page is little use. If the boiler is on then it is full , boiler off nothing visible.
Can we have a home display that gives day usage against time as a block diagram - then make that the home page so it can be seen across the room.

Hi Pete,

This sounds like the In Home Display's (IHD) 'estimated bill' screen. This doesn't link up with the bill on My OVO, and will only reset on certain occasions such as a tariff change. As a result, I'd suggest you disregard this screen and look online for your account billing. As for the visual display of your live usage, adjust your gas targets to make it less sensitive to your boiler. Find out how to do this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html.

We also have a new version of the In Home Display in testing, so watch this space!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
We've just had our smart meter; fantastic service and thoroughly grateful that I don't have to read the meters ever again:) However, what a pathetically useless waste of money the wireless monitor is. We had one of these when we were with EON and it was fantastic; it showed you how much energy or money you were using over time or at that present moment. This was great for us as we have solar panels and I could see when we were using 0 energy off the grid and I could go and put the washing on etc. you could also go around and turn things on and off and see the impact. This OVO monitor doesn't do anything like this from what I can see and I am really disappointed. Have I missed something or is it really useless?

Hi ghj76,

It's not the prettiest of gadgets, I'll give you that. But I like to think our In Home Display (IHD) can be really useful, when you know how. Here's the guides we have to help:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-the-buttons-on-my-in-home-display-screen-mean.html

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-can-my-ihd-and-smart-meter-help-me-manage-my-energy-use.html

Have a quick read and let us know if we've won you round. I'll also move this query to another topic on IHD's so other users can get involved.

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Am asking this more for my own peace of mind, but does the IHD dual totals reset if/when you renew your contract?
I have just entered into a new 2 year fixed deal with yourselves and noticed today that my estimated bill charges for both gas and electric are in pence, whereas they were previously displaying pounds (having had the smart meter fitted in Oct)
hello
Hi Tim

I have tried to reset many times but to no avail. At the moment I am getting estimated costs and this is not what I signed up to.

Is the reset button at the side of the display box?

Kind regards

Lorraine
Just after I had my OVO smart meters fitted I called to ask if there was a way of changing the default screen on the in home display so that I could have the dual fuel real time graphic showing permanently. I was told that it was not possible to keep this screen showing continuously and 'anyway they weren't very accurate'!
That was a year ago so I wander if things have changed?
Hi I was wondering when I will be getting an energy monitor to go with the smart meter. I ordered on the web but it didn't arrive and I've no idea if or when it will be delivered.
I had smart meters fitted yesterday and then the fitter told me he didn't have an IHD to leave me as he hadn't been sent any, where do I go from here?
I have had meters changed - engineer said he would order the smart meter for in home - that was over two weeks ago and not arrived.

Despite a text , an email and the engineers order - I have not had any response - It would be nice if OVO could respond to this
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
The display is almost useless. do you have the in home display?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Is anyone else having trouble getting OVO to supply the In Home Display Unit for Smart Meters. We had our Smart Meters installed in December 2016, the engineer had ran out of these units and said OVO would post us one within a month. Here we are 4 MONTHS later and after numerous phone calls and e-mails we are told there are supply problems.
We are interested to find out how many others have not received these units as we are thinking of contacting BBC Watchdog.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you've faced getting a IHD - I can only speculate that due to supply issues OVO are unable to get them to customers as quickly as they'd like to.

Saying that - I'm sure that OVO have some sort of waiting list for IHD's given the supply issues - perhaps you could message one of the moderators @Lucy_OVO @Darran_OVO or @Tim_OVO and ask them if they can make sure you are?

Hope the supplies are replenished soon and you get your IHD - do keep us posted.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I like the estimated bill function on the IHD, but it has only been of use in month one as it does not appear to reset after that month's readings have been taken - so our screen shows the cumulative amount since day 1. Do I need to reset manually? If that is the case, have not found how to do it.

Hi @Foxcub welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Whilst I'm afraid as I'm a PAYG customer I'm not 100% with what you've raised.

I just wanted to let you know that one of the other forum members or moderators will respond to your post ASAP with some further info on using the IHD for pay monthly customers.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time however rest assured someone will get back to you shortly

Have a lovely weekend
Userlevel 3
I had smart meters fitted yesterday and then the fitter told me he didn't have an IHD to leave me as he hadn't been sent any, where do I go from here?
I had the same response from my fitter as well did you get yours sorted as i have been told theres an 18 week waiting list?
Is anyone else having trouble getting OVO to supply the In Home Display Unit for Smart Meters. We had our Smart Meters installed in December 2016, the engineer had ran out of these units and said OVO would post us one within a month. Here we are 4 MONTHS later and after numerous phone calls and e-mails we are told there are supply problems.
We are interested to find out how many others have not received these units as we are thinking of contacting BBC Watchdog.
The point of us all paying extra on our energy bills towards smart meters was so that we could help reduce our energy consumption. A key intelligence this would provide was being able to monitor power consumption easily through an IHT to help us make more intelligent decisions on energy use.

Unfortunately the OVO smart meter IHT seems to be a complete failure.

1. Running on, rechargeable, batteries it just powers off after about 45 seconds. It then needs to reboot by you turning it on again. This hardly makes it easy to monitor power consumption.

2. Plug it into the mains and switch to power display and all is good. Until a few minutes later when it reverts to showing your bill, which is of no use whatsoever in helping you monitor and change your energy consumption.

Please tell me I have a dud unit, or that there is a setting I can't see to make this device deliver smart information that is actually useful?
We've just had our smart meter; fantastic service and thoroughly grateful that I don't have to read the meters ever again:) However, what a pathetically useless waste of money the wireless monitor is. We had one of these when we were with EON and it was fantastic; it showed you how much energy or money you were using over time or at that present moment. This was great for us as we have solar panels and I could see when we were using 0 energy off the grid and I could go and put the washing on etc. you could also go around and turn things on and off and see the impact. This OVO monitor doesn't do anything like this from what I can see and I am really disappointed. Have I missed something or is it really useless?
Userlevel 4
Badge
If anyone wants my IHD (and Ovo permits it, I assume it needs to be paired to your electricity meter by them), you can have mine. To be polite, it's not very good. See this topic:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/how-has-having-a-smart-meter-helped-you-1/index5.html

I'm still waiting for the promised colour version which allow us to monitor our stats in real time on web / mobile devices.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hope the new version is much more useful than the old one. I no longer bother with ours.
When will it be available and how do I get one?

Well, Stiggysawdust, I asked that question on another thread and the response was basically "we are giving the nicer, newer technology to brand new customers". That may not be verbatim. :8 It's a typical manoeuvre in business, but not very inclusive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @MikeWilliams,

That is a slight issue in the way the Pipit 500 IHDs are designed. We've had plenty of feedback around this which is why we're trialling and rolling out the Chameleon IHD currently, which will show this info.

You can get a projection of your next bill (just for the current month, not a cumulative total) on your online account.

Cheers,
Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@VinceMarsters, if your old IHD is giving up the ghost we can look into sending you a new one. I'd advise contacting the team about this on 0330 303 5063. We'll need to send you out a prepaid jiffy bag to return the old one and then we can send out a shiny new one.

We can't guarantee it's going to be a Chameleon, but it could be. It entirely depends on stock, which is limited, and region.

Nancy