Solved

New customer, can I have instructions for the Chameleon IHD?

• 10 October 2017
  • 38 replies

Just signed up For dual fuel . Almost immediately smart meters fitted 🙂. However no written instructions as to the operation of the IHD. Can I find them online ?

TIA
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 17 October 2017, 16:17

UPDATED 2/07/19

Hey @mawdesley1111 and @sjh21

You can find instructions for the IHD here.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any other questions.

Darran
View original

38 replies

I have just had my Smart meters fitted but as with the above Customer, no instructions with the IHD.
Given that Ovo have been so efficient with the changeover etc, it is surprising that they have not got this covered
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
UPDATED 2/07/19

You can find instructions for the IHD here.

Darran
It was not how to get it onto WiFi, I found that on the OVO website. It was general instructions including how to alter the unit rate as mine is showing 25% to high.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @sjh21 Ah ok, I'll hand this over to @Lucy_OVO to offer some help on that one!

Darran
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@sjh21 You won't be able to change the unit rate yourself, but if this is being displayed incorrectly, please send me a private message with your name, DoB and OVO account number so I can get this updated.

Lucy

You can find instructions for the IHD here via OVO Answers.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/how-do-i-connect-my-in-home-display-to-my-wifi.html

Darran

I cant get time of day gas details on IHD on screen message We can't see your live data right now. We'll keep trying and it should be back soon.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @mawdesley1111 - can you please PM me your name, DoB and OVO account number so I can see why your not able to view your usage?

Lucy
Hi Lucy

What do the 3 lights at the bottom of my IHD signify?

TIA

Ray
As I understand it it is, working left to right, low use, medium use, high use. All relative to your budget settings.
Did Lucy get back to your pm?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Lucy

What do the 3 lights at the bottom of my IHD signify?

TIA

Ray

Hey ,

You can find out more information on what the lights on the IHD mean here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-the-lights-and-buttons-mean-on-my-ovo-smart-meter.html.

I've also included some further advice in my PM about the best next steps.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
As I understand it it is, working left to right, low use, medium use, high use. All relative to your budget settings.
Did Lucy get back to your pm?

Just looking into your PM now for you @sjh21. :)

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
In case this helps anyone here are links to the user guides for the Smart Meter and IHD which I was given during my installation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc9cadb9ctztlfl/Pipit%20500%20IHD%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9535g5hr50czhl/OVO%20Smart%20Meter%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

Matthew
Unfortunately not the same IHD?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Unfortunately not the same IHD?

That's interesting. Mine was installed on Monday, which seems like a similar time to you.
My electricity meter is a Secure Liberty 100 and the gas meter is a Secure Liberty EG4v1.
The IHD is a Secure Pipit 500.

What meters/IHD have you got? Is it this one:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/can-i-connect-my-in-home-display-to-my-wifi.html

Seems like it is newer, as mine does not connect to my WiFi.
Seems a bit daft that OVO have installed older technology for me when newer is available.
Not sure what my meters are (and it is throwing it down outside haha). My IHD is a Chameleon IHD3 PPMID (I think) but I have no instructions and what is worse, both the gas & electric unit prices are wrong. So far any benefits are OVO's (no need for them to read the meter) as the cost of use is incorrect.
Yes mine does connect to WiFi, very easy actually.
It is just a shame that it appears that there has been very little, if any, training given to OVO employees.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Haha, sorry didn't think about that, mine are indoors and it is chucking it down here too!

I forgot to say, even on my now "old" IHD the unit prices are wrong.
The standing charges are correct, but unit price wrong. It's rather frustrating.

I raised this in a separate post, but no reply yet:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/ihd-showing-incorrect-unit-rate-but-correct-standing-charge-817

I don't think the rate on the IHD is used to calculate bills, it is just used for the display and approximations.

When I checked earlier in the week the unit rates in the "My Profile" section of my account were correct and matched (they don't include VAT @ 5% so you have to add that on) the rates shown in the "Your Tariff Information" which I was sent when I first signed up.

I haven't had my first statement yet so I can't double check which rate they are using. I just logged into MyOvo to check the rates again and it is now showing this:

Maybe they are busy tinkering with something??
I can agree with everything you have said.
What are they doing?
I assume that the only reason the standing charge is correct is that all tariffs are the same.
I can only await OVO's response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
In the end I sent @Tim_OVO a private message on this forum and within 24 hours he had my IHD updated with the correct tariff.
I received a phone call last week asking me if it was now correct. It was. Apparently the IT guys are aware of this issue.
Why are they continuing to fit these when they know there is a problem?
Mind you EDF are a lot worse. A family member joined them back in August and they are still waiting for their Smart Meter & have been told it is going to be at least 6 more weeks.
Sjh21 - did you ever get instructions and a guide to all the buttons on your smart meter? We have been fitted with the same one. I want to know how the budget is calculated.... But can't find any info anywhere.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sjh21 - did you ever get instructions and a guide to all the buttons on your smart meter? We have been fitted with the same one. I want to know how the budget is calculated.... But can't find any info anywhere.

Mw2870 posted the guides in this thread above - hopefully these should help.

To set a budget, you’ll need to:

-Tap ‘OK’
-Go into ‘Adjust settings’
-Go into ‘Set budget’

A user can set an electricity and a gas budget; the IHD uses these to create a combined budget, which is used when looking at both fuels. Tap the utility button to switch between fuels when setting a budget. Switch between setting a daily, weekly or monthly budget by tapping the calendar icon. Tapping the right and left arrows will increase and decrease the budget amount.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
For reasons I won't go into I have two IHD's - a Pipit 500 and a Chameleon IHD3. These were both working fine for several weeks after the IHD3 was paired in January - the Pipit 500 was originally paired in December.

I had a new consumer unit installed last week and the power was disconnected. Since then both IHD's have worked OK but the 'in-day' graph on the app was not updating due to some issue. I could see traffic from the IHD3 and both devices were showing all expected information.

OVO say they have disconnected the Pipit 500 IHD due to some issue with both devices 'connecting' but I don't buy it. They were working fine originally, the HAN allows multiple devices to connect.

I more suspect the app got confused and maybe recognised the Pipit device first and failed to display 'in-day' usage as that feature is not supported by the Pipit. I do know though that the IHD3 would have connected first after the power was restored as the Pipit 500 is not permanently powered (it's on batteries) so was not switched on until after I noticed the issue.

Anyway, can OVO please provide me with the pairing details so that I can re-connect the Pipit 500 aswell as the IHD3 ? I don't see any reason why I can't have them both working at once as they were before and I don't accept (or understand) the explanation given. The Pipit was simply disconnected without question so I don't see this as an acceptable resolution.

Thanks

Martin
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@K1ano I know that with the Chameleon IHD, OVO need to do something at their end for the device to link up. Probably best to give them a call: 0330 303 5063.

Tim