Pinned Solved

New 'Chameleon' In Home Display (IHD) - can I view my live gas usage?

Hi, I have just had a smart meter and ihd fitted. It is an IHD3. I can see how to see my live electricity usage (ie electricity now button).
However is it possible to see how much gas is being used live.
Thanks

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 November 2017, 14:50

Bpridge wrote:

Hi, I have just had a smart meter and ihd fitted. It is an IHD3. I can see how to see my live electricity usage (ie electricity now button).
Thanks

Hi @Bpridge

That 'Now' button (second on the left) will show your live electricity usage. We're unable to show your live gas usage just now. Check out this guide for more info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B37WHlI7BKzxdnRhZ2M3NElNQ3hwTVY5SG5uRTlFa09OX2tB/view.

Tim

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Bpridge wrote:

Thanks

Hi @Bpridge

That 'Now' button (second on the left) will show your live electricity usage. We're unable to show your live gas usage just now. Check out this guide for more info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B37WHlI7BKzxdnRhZ2M3NElNQ3hwTVY5SG5uRTlFa09OX2tB/view.

Tim
If its currently unavailable why don't the installers say this and offer the latest known point of availablility, this would be far better than spending a hour + looking for the reason why gas isn't being shown.
Hello. We are installing the smart meters today and I would like to ask if the live gas consumption has been available or not yet? Are there any plans to be available in the future?
Thank you
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Edited by moderator

Unfortunately not @Panagiotis. This isn't something we're able to offer right now or for the foreseeable future.
@Lucy_OVO - I'm interested in seeing live, real-time gas consumption, too. You said that you expect this to be available in the near future ; can you provide any more information on timescales, please? Will this capability be made available on existing meters and in-home displays?
Given that these messages are at least 3 months old, when can we expect to be able to see live gas on our ihd, please? Also when is the App going to be fully functional, please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@IanW @dasilvor no change on this. The gas meter sends your usage info to the electricity meter, which then send it to us and your IHD. So the electricity can link up with the IHD in real time, whereas the gas can't.

Unlike what we've said previously, it doesn't look like this is going to change, unless the smart meter data gets sent to the IHD differently. I'll edit that response so we manage expectations better.

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for the update @Tim_OVO.
I'm curious, how does the PipIt manage to show the live usage of gas. Presumably it suffers for the same issue of gas data being sent to the electricity meter?
Or is it lying, and it actually isn't live usage at all?
@Tim_OVO: thanks for replying. If I understand correctly, you are ruling out any possibility that there will be real-time display of gas usage on the Chameleon IHD; if that's so, your edit to @Lucy_OVO's reply is still somewhat misleading.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @IanW - I've changed Lucy's comment to reflect the information Tim has provided.

Hope this helps.
Hello,

I've just had my smart meter installed today and found this thread whilst trying to work out why I cannot see gas usage on my IHD. Is it just live gas usage that is unavailable? (i.e. if I wait a while it will at least show me daily gas usage?) Or will the new IHD never show anything for gas?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to work out whether my IHD isn't connected to the gas meter properly or whether I just need to wait and the info will come through eventually. Your user guide at https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/user-guide-for-the-chameleon-ihd-1837 certainly seems to imply that the IHD will provide gas usage information - even if not live - but at the moment clicking on the Dual button does nothing.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
afcone wrote:

Trying to work out why I cannot see gas usage on my IHD. Is it just live gas usage that is unavailable?

@afcone your IHD will show live electricity usage, not live gas. But it should show your gas usage history and costs. Check MyOVO to see if your gas usage is showing - we might still need to update things at our end for your gas smart meter...

@Davidc did you have this when you first got your IHD?
Tim_OVO wrote:

@Davidc did you have this when you first got your IHD?

We have an old style IHD - monochrome display Pipit 500 - which is pretty useless, and we disconnected it because it was just sat wasting electricity. I don't remember whether it displays gas consumption. Certainly it doesn't at the moment because it is not powered on!
Tim_OVO wrote:

afcone wrote:

Trying to work out why I cannot see gas usage on my IHD. Is it just live gas usage that is unavailable?

@afcone your IHD will show live electricity usage, not live gas. But it should show your gas usage history and costs. Check MyOVO to see if your gas usage is showing - we might still need to update things at our end for your gas smart meter...

Gas usage now shows on the IHD - admittedly, it's showing I used over a hundred pounds worth yesterday but I'm assuming that's a teething issue. Nothing in MyOVO as yet. I'll leave it a week or so and see if it's just still being configured - for example, MyOVO currently won't even show me what plan I'm on, so I assume it'll fix itself...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings