My Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) showing red when only have a lamp and TV on

• 8 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi, due to my electric being more each month I decided to check my smart meter. I currently have 1 lamp on and the tv watching sky, it’s reading as High -red. Yet when I’m at other people’s home they have more on and only reads yellow. Does anyone else have the same or can anyone explain why? Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Lr19.

I don't have the same issue, mine only shows as high when the kettle, washing machine or dishwasher is on.

Do your friends have the same IHD (In Home Display) device as you, or are they with different suppliers?

Have you checked what your kWH usage is when you only have the TV and lamp on?
Thank you for your reply.

They are with different suppliers, I will check the kWh today when I have these items on.

Thanks
Hi just had smart metres fitted and a new ihd unit fitted , could anyone tell me why it’s keep flicking to the red light iumder the date symbol thanks
The display unit for electrical use is showing red all the time even though I have checked and no high use items are on. The gas reading is ok. Is this a fault with the display unit or is there an electricity supply problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
The display unit for electrical use is showing red all the time even though I have checked and no high use items are on. The gas reading is ok. Is this a fault with the display unit or is there an electricity supply problem.

Hi Petershome

I have moved your question here as others have asked something similar. The best advice we can give is to do a test.

First, turn off all appliances and sockets etc to see if the light changes at all, if it stays on it could simply be an indicator that the IHD is communicating with your home network, which is a good thing.

If when you turn everything off, the light goes out. turn devices on one at a time to see if a particular one sets it off, or see if it is just showing red to indicate usage.

Let us know how you get on.

Darran