Solved

Is there some kind of settling in period with the IHD?

Since having my new smart meters and IHD installed on Wednesday the display has been showing crazy levels of consumption, particularly electricity.

Apparently I’ve used an entire weeks budget in 2 days!

is there some kind of settling in period or is there something amiss?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 29 April 2019, 11:28

I agree @whoobub Although others of us have commented elsewhere on the Forum about these high readings, they can easily cause alarm.

Please note my comments there, that these erroneous readings by the IHD are not within OVO's field of responsibility. The IHDs and their firmware are approved by DCC and Ofgem. They are from a 3rd party supplier and used by many Energy Suppliers.

There certainly is a settling in period as you refer to it. It takes about 5-6 weeks of testing and commissioning before your real tariff data finally gets uploaded to your SMETS2 meters by OVO. There's more discussion about that on the other Topic I've just referred you to.
View original

16 replies

Had mine fitted Thursday and having the same problem; weekly budget spent after the first day. Apparently OVO are aware of an issue with the SMET2 not communicating properly with the IHD but they have reassured me that the meter itself will be providing the correct info.
Would have been nice to be advised of the problems. Less aware customers could easily be panicking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I agree @whoobub Although others of us have commented elsewhere on the Forum about these high readings, they can easily cause alarm.

Please note my comments there, that these erroneous readings by the IHD are not within OVO's field of responsibility. The IHDs and their firmware are approved by DCC and Ofgem. They are from a 3rd party supplier and used by many Energy Suppliers.

There certainly is a settling in period as you refer to it. It takes about 5-6 weeks of testing and commissioning before your real tariff data finally gets uploaded to your SMETS2 meters by OVO. There's more discussion about that on the other Topic I've just referred you to.
It depends on the company who fits your meters whether readings etc are correct once installed or not.
Its incorrect to blame on DCC.
Ovo commission meters remotely after installation.
Eon (for instance) commission on site and you are up and running when engineer leaves.
The only instance where this wasn't the case was when elster smart were fitted at Eon, there was then a 24 hour delay in correct readings given
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Erm @Tufty71 - I think we're discussing two different things.

The earlier posts to this Topic related to SMETS2 meters, and date from the end of April 2019.

Elster (a division of Honeywell) were only approved for SMETS1 meters. Since these were not connected to the National Smart Meter Network, DCC weren't involved at all. SMETS1 data networks were proprietary to the Energy Suppliers who installed the meters.

Also, the earlier posts were written at a time when we were unaware that the code in the SMETS2 Communications Hub required an update before the Chameleon IHDs were displaying reasonable costings.

Even so, at the time of writing (11aug19) it remains the case that OVO do not download the correct Customer Tariff until later in the commissioning process. Until then the costs displayed on the IHD are based on whatever default values were held within the SMETS2 meters when they were installed.

I apologise that I seem to keep popping up and modifying what you post here on the Forum.

However, I have become aware that other organisations are reading what I post here and requoting it in their own publications. This is particularly so in the case of the main topic I started on SMETS2 Meter Installation. As of today it has over 13,000 views; and those sure didn't all come from OVO customers who are Forum members!

So I tend to revisit any Topic where someone has commented further on what I've previously written in order to make sure that the content remains as accurate as possible.
Yea elster smart meters were smets 1, I was only mentioning them because thats the only time I've encountered a delay in the commissioning process.

Eon commission on site, this makes an install longer but means the engineer does not leave sight until the smart meters fitted are up and running.

Ovo on the other hand, for whatever reason commission at a later date remotely.

I know this can lead to problems, if you remotely commission and not on site, it's great for the engineer because that hassle is taken out of the equation,
Have I got a signal, is my wan light flashing correctly has han light kicked in... Yes, sweet see you later.

Commissioning on site is always straight forward but at least you walk away knowing the job is done correctly and they are left with everything operable.

There's alot of miss communication it seems when it comes to installs, and receiving ihds at a later date, incorrect energy use recordings.... Seems crackers to me. But maybe ovo don't have the access to certain tech that Eon do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
For the sake of others reading this thread at a later date, let me make clear that @Tufty71 is comparing

A. a SMETS1 meter being installed and commissioned by Eon on a proprietary network over which they had full control

B. SMETS2 meters being installed by OVO on the National Smart Meter Network which is run by the Data Communications Company (DCC)

At the time of writing (12aug19) I believe that Energy Suppliers are no longer able to count installations of SMETS1 systems against their targets, as agreed with Ofgem.

There will be no difference between Eon and OVO in the time taken to commission SMETS2 meters. In both cases the work will be completed by DCC once the Installer has left site.
Eon fit Smets2 for which they commission on site, not just Smets1.
The job is completed on site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK... let's get a definitive response to this from @BenS_OVO

Is it the case that Eon are able to commission a SMETS2 installation on site whereas OVO cannot do so?

Is it likely that Eon have access to "certain tech" which OVO doesn't, as just suggested by Forum Member Tufty71 ?
Ovo will do I'm sure the best they can do on the fitting of meters front, but knowing what I know about Eon, they don't leave meters in and uncommisioned, just not allowed to happen, I'm just trying to right this bit of mis information, because you are obviously a knowledgable guy, but on this youre not right, sorry, trust me I have experience with both companies
Userlevel 2
Hey @Tufty71

I can not speak for EON of course but I can speak for what OVO...

I think all suppliers (and certainly OVO) commission their assets on site. You're right about Elster being an S2 asset which OVO do use. We have found that they do take slightly longer to commission (according to our testings). We are also testing to see what their success rate is in different areas of the country. If we need to wait longer to commission on site for a better first time successful commissioning rate, we will of course go for that option.
Revisits cost all the industry money and we are very eager to reduce them as much as possible.

Let me take you through a commissioning process from an OVO perspective:
The engineer will install the assets, commission the comms hub, elec meter and IHD. The last thing they will do is start to commission the gas meter. The reason for this is because the service requests the gas needs in order to complete commissioning takes longer then the others. So once the Service Requests reach a point, the commissioning will run through the rest of the SR's on it's own and the engineer can then leave (otherwise he/she will be there for hours).

Installers are allowed to leave the property without having a commissioned meter. This is an industry term called 'Install and Leave' - The DCC need to be informed of this via a different service request.
There will always be situations where installers put meters in without it being commissioned, because there are parts of the country that simply don't have WAN at this time. Unfortunately this is an unavoidable part of the current tech. We (mainly the DCC) will hope to reduce this by introducing things like; better aerials tech & MESH systems (I'm sure they have loads more up their sleeve).
Hi Ben,
Thanks for that, yea the commissioning process can take a while, but we are not allowed to install and leave, we'd always revert.
Our process is slightly different in order, and yes its not quick, but with time and hard working boffs in the offices its getting quicker, like you say the gas meter reading is probably the longest process once that's dropped in all is usually OK.
Thanks for popping in 😁
Userlevel 2
@Tufty71 that is really interesting. I don't speak for OVO but the way I figure it is that it would be best to install the S2 assets, if no WAN has been successful, to not swap it back to the old trad meter but instead to perform an I&L.
This is essentially a trad meter with the capability to go an S2 meter with some minor industry tweaks (the I&L process means that the DCC have 90 days to solultionise the lack of connection at the property).
There's also the benefit of the industry then having greater knowledge of the areas in the country where there are connection issues.

Obviously I'm over simplifying the process as it's not just WAN issues that lead to a non-commissioned meter.

It would be good to know what people think about a 'Smart' asset performing as a trad meter though.
Rightttt that is interesting that would save alot of ballache, seems a better way of going around the problem, but I'm sure where I work have there reasons and I don't know enough to comment too far.
Thanks for the insight.
Don't get me wrong though, I love working for Eon, and even though it's a right pain sometimes, I like to leave a job in a completed state, and with a happy customer who has everything in order at the end. That to me is how it feels right, I know its definitely not always possible though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Well this is getting interesting!

So perhaps I should point out that before @BenS_OVO popped his head above the parapet on the Forum, the message from OVO has been that there is a delay of 4-5 weeks between Smart Meters being installed on-site and their data being utilised for billing or displayed on the customer's My OVO page.

That time interval matches with the great majority of customers who have responded here, and has been confirmed by Moderators replying to those posts.

(Yes, I realise that my situation is different in that I had SMETS2 first installed 11mar19, and I still don't have smart usage graphs or billing. But I know why that is!)

So, would @BenS_OVO like to elucidate further on what happens between the time that OVO's Installer leaves site, and 5 weeks thence?