Solved

Is the Chameleon IHD accurate or a guide?

Hi, I just had new meters installed this week.

It's not clear to me if the IHD is perfectly synced with the data at the meter or if it's a guide as to approx what's going on?

For example, if the IHD temporarily lost its connection to the meter, would the data be lost on the IHD or does it pull the data back in once it's reconnected?

What makes me ask is I came across a post on here where someone was given instructions on how to submit their meter reading manually via the IHD. So I assume it's in sync and the reading on the IHD should always read the same as the meter? Does that account for temporary loss in connections? Or even at the extreme end what if I unplug the IHD for 1 week, when I turn it on will the IHD be 1 week behind or will it just sync up?

As the above recommendation doesn't sit right with my current experience. I've seen it say "lost connection" a couple of times which is 0.1% of the times I've had a glance at it. However I have seen it sat at 3.70Kw for approx 20minutes, not moving 0.01, completely static. I put the kettle on and it still stayed at 3.70Kw. This made me lose faith in the IHD as a accurate gauge I assumed it must be just a guide. Unless this is part of the sync process? IF the IHD is behind the meter it ups the consumption at a static rate until they sync?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 27 August 2018, 14:45

Hi @GT3911. You wrote:
I came across a post on here where someone was given instructions on how to submit their meter reading manually via the IHD

If I recall the post you're thinking of, I think it was the other way around. They were trying to do a manual reading from the IHD and couldn't find the "9" button to press. They were directed to take the reading from the Smart Meter itself.

The updates from the Electricity Smart Meter to the IHD should be sent at intervals of around 1 minute. Perhaps someone else who has a Chameleon can confirm this.

The registers holding the usage data are in the meter. Although I don't have a Chameleon, I would expect it to pick up the latest readings from there rather than rely on a previous reading which it had retained in its own memory.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @GT3911. You wrote:
I came across a post on here where someone was given instructions on how to submit their meter reading manually via the IHD

If I recall the post you're thinking of, I think it was the other way around. They were trying to do a manual reading from the IHD and couldn't find the "9" button to press. They were directed to take the reading from the Smart Meter itself.

The updates from the Electricity Smart Meter to the IHD should be sent at intervals of around 1 minute. Perhaps someone else who has a Chameleon can confirm this.

The registers holding the usage data are in the meter. Although I don't have a Chameleon, I would expect it to pick up the latest readings from there rather than rely on a previous reading which it had retained in its own memory.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @GT3911,

The Chameleon should update continuously. It sounds like there could be a slight interruption of the signal between the IHD and the meters. Let's check a couple of things:

- Where is the IHD in relation to the two meters?
- How far apart would you say they are?
- Are there any walls separating them?
- Could the IHD be moved to a socket slightly close to the electricity meter?

Thanks
Hi @Nancy_OVO

The IHD is approx 15 feet away from the meters with one outside wall and another internal wall between them. For sure I could move the IHD. However I'm more enquiring how it functions than a concern specifically around the IHD. My IHD must be on the edge of it's range as like I said occasionally I've seen it say 'lost connection'.

I should simplify my question. Lets say I turn off my IHD for 1 hour. When the IHD is turned back on will this 1 hour period be lost? Will my 'daily' usage on the IHD have 1 hour of usage missing or will it be resent this data from the meter and remain accurate?

@Transparent I was refering to this post https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/can-the-chameleon-in-home-display-ihd-show-my-readings-1152 where the customer is intending to use the IHD to submit readings because their meter is not communicating with ovo and is difficult to read. They were instructed on how to do a m3 conversion to submit the reading.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ah... thanks for clarifying that @GT3911. I'd looked through the "official" instruction and info pages about the Chameleon, but hadn't realised you were referring to a previous Forum post.
Userlevel 6
Badge

I should simplify my question. Lets say I turn off my IHD for 1 hour. When the IHD is turned back on will this 1 hour period be lost? Will my 'daily' usage on the IHD have 1 hour of usage missing or will it be resent this data from the meter and remain accurate?

Hey @GT3911,

If you turn the IHD off/unplug it, it'll disconnect from the network. The network between the electricity meter and the IHD is very similar to Bluetooth signal (it's called Zigbee, just for reference). If the connection is stopped, it'll likely need reconnecting by calling the team.

If the devices are kept on however, and you move the IHD closer to/further from the electricity meter, much in the same way that a phone and speaker connected by Bluetooth will cut out and then tune back in, the IHD will search for the signal and then update once it's brought back within range.

Hope this makes sense!
I had the newer smart meter installed a few weeks a go but my chameleon IHD has always displayed the same numbers in what energy I am using at that moment or throughout the day so I am assuming it doesn't work. As well as that the date and time are completely wrong. What do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

Laura
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @readlaura - I've moved your post here. As mentioned above you might need to call the team to make sure your IHD is connected properly.

Cheers!
The date and time on the IHD are taken from the meter or communication hub, if this is incorrect then i’d guess the IHD isn’t communicating correctly with one or both of those.

It it may be the case that the IHD needs to be moved closer to them and then power cycled.
Had smart meter fitted 2 days ago the in house display is showing really high useage .Both me and my wife out all day display showing over £7 had nothing on ! Ive e en stood and watched the kettle on and it went up over 30p to boil ? If this is how its gonna be then im considering moving suppliers
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Col2112 - this could be related to the default target on the IHD. Is the circular dial illuminated red most of the time?
Yes it does .Ive turned it off because its showing up to £10 a day crazy