Solved

Is it free to replace the Pipet 500 with the Chameleon In Home Display (IHD)?

• 17 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Can I have a new Chameleon IHD instead of the piece of junk Pipit 500, will the Chameleon work with my Meter fitted in Nov 2016 ??
Never liked the Pipit display since changing from British gas in 2016, the BG display although older tech was a much better display and more intuitive, the pipit is like something dragged from the stone age !!

If so where do you get the chameleon displays from??
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 October 2018, 12:30

Can I have a new Chameleon IHD instead of the piece of junk Pipit 500, will the Chameleon work with my Meter fitted in Nov 2016 ??

It will work with our smart meter @navmanl200 - but you'll need to pay to have a replacement model sent out. £33 in total: £28 for the IHD and £5 to cover the cost of postage. Email us to arrange this: hello@ovoenergy.com.

We understand that the Pipet isn't the prettiest, but if you get your smart meter to send us your readings every half an hour, your MyOVO page will be better then any IHD. Use your mobile phone, and it's like having a portable, remote IHD in your pocket!
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It will work with our smart meter @navmanl200 - but you'll need to pay to have a replacement model sent out. £33 in total: £28 for the IHD and £5 to cover the cost of postage. Email us to arrange this: hello@ovoenergy.com.

We understand that the Pipet isn't the prettiest, but if you get your smart meter to send us your readings every half an hour, your MyOVO page will be better then any IHD. Use your mobile phone, and it's like having a portable, remote IHD in your pocket!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Not sure I agree with the MyOVO page being better than any IHD @Tim_OVO.

According to @Cassie_OVO, the smart meters only upload their datasets to OVO every 24hours, even though they sample every 30 mins.

The net result, MyOVO only updates every 24 hours, for example, here is my usage for today:

Now my understanding is that the Chameleon IHD used to be able to upload usage data to OVO more frequently than the meter, using your home WiFi, a bit like how the Smart Gateway used to function. These realtime features have now been disabled as apparently they used to give incorrect data:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/why-are-ovo-disabling-the-real-time-smart-usage-features-1746

Also, in terms of using the MyOvo app, once you are ported to the new online experience, currently the app does not show any half hourly usage or graphs.

Just my opinion though!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Mw2870 - as @Cassie_OVO mentioned, we're adding new features to the online experience regularly, which will provide you with greater visibility and control of your usage.

It's a work in progress, but we want to take a customer-led approach to developing it, which is why we need your input along the way! We want feedback so we can mould it to what you guys want from your online account. Watch this space for further developments!

Cheers
Userlevel 6
Badge
I've had a bit more information from the team around this @Mw2870! Right now although customers with half hourly data preferences will see their energy breakdown in half hour chunks, we only get the reads once per day, so it's not updated each half hour. It'll be added once a day.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 1
As @Mw2870 says, the My Ovo page is only useful once a day, as it receives it's updates sometime after midnight. In fact the NEW 'my Ovo' customer experience webpage, is an absolute disaster !!

@Nancy_OVO Did you ever put the new webpage out to a testbench of customers before 'going live' ?? If you did, I can only say that the testbench customers mustn't want much info or to have to 'trawl' through pages to get the same info that a single mouse click gave you on the old page. 😞 It's a total disaster, I would like to go back to the old page until such time as the new page gives the SAME or even better MORE info not LESS than the old page.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm sure the Tech guys would have done this @navmanl200. Rest assured that we'll share your thoughts with the Tech team so they're aware.

As @Nancy_OVO mentioned, we're adding new features to the online experience regularly, which will provide you with greater visibility and control of your usage.

Lucy
Userlevel 3
I received a package unexpectedly yesterday from OVO. I had told them several times about my Chameleon IHD only displaying gas readings, and was waiting for a firmware upgrade, having already had an electricity meter replacement.
The new device does not have an on/off switch and also no battery unlike previous. But it has WiFi in addition to Zigbee, so I connected it to my router, and was going to phone the number given to get OVO to connect it to my meters today, But I received an email that it has been sent in error, and I will receive an envelope to return it to OVO. So, it looks like I will not be getting an IHD to solve the problems yet. What's happening, pleease OVO? Official reply would be welcome.
Tony
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What's happening, pleease OVO? Official reply would be welcome.

Please reach out to our Customer Care team for an official update, @tony1tf - very odd for us to post this to you in error!