Solved

How to link up the Smart Gateway with my smart meters?

How can I recognise my smart meter/box I plug into router by its MAC identifier, is it made by Cisco or Asus?
Why cannot I see my current useage for both gas AND electricity - it's either/or.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 12 April 2017, 17:44

How can I recognise my smart meter/box I plug into router by its MAC identifier, is it made by Cisco or Asus?
Why cannot I see my current useage for both gas AND electricity - it's either/or.

Hi billbrooks,

This Smart Gateway is now discontinued with OVO. You'll need to get our new Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) sent out to you instead. More info on this smart kit here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters

Tim

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**
View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi billbrooks,

This Smart Gateway is now discontinued with OVO. You'll need to get our new Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) sent out to you instead. More info on this smart kit here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters

Tim

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**
I don't think I'm trialing anything new - the display is on my laptop. I don't know how to PM you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I don't think I'm trialing anything new - the display is on my laptop. I don't know how to PM you.

Thanks for the reply, Billbrooks.

If you've got a small bit of kit that connects to your WiFi and tells you info about your energy usage, this will either be our (now discontinued) 'Smart Gateway', or our new In Home Display. So that I'm sure which, send me a picture via a PM. To send this, click on my name to go to my profile and select the 'message' option.

Thanks,
Tim
1. I have just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find this, log in and get to this topic. I regularly use AV forums and others - this one is the most difficult to find your way around - when I entered my name I got no returns.
2. It turns out it was a fruitless exercise in any case as no replies had been posted despite me providing the info asked for.
3. I switched to Ovo on the Which rating of 'good service' - considering the smart meter has not worked as promised despite my complaints this was obviously a mistake - now when am I due for renewal?...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
1. I have just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find this, log in and get to this topic. I regularly use AV forums and others - this one is the most difficult to find your way around - when I entered my name I got no returns.
2. It turns out it was a fruitless exercise in any case as no replies had been posted despite me providing the info asked for.
3. I switched to Ovo on the Which rating of 'good service' - considering the smart meter has not worked as promised despite my complaints this was obviously a mistake - now when am I due for renewal?...

That's a shame to hear, Bill. I've just replied to your PM, and I'll send another about your contract end date in the next few minutes!

Tim
Userlevel 1
Please OVO all I want is a monitor as good as British Gas are supplying to their customers.
If there is a new type can I please have one?
Please OVO all I want is a monitor as good as British Gas are supplying to their customers.
If there is a new type can I please have one?

@RTFishall Our new IHDs are being trialed at the moment, but will hopefully be rolled out to all customers soon.

If you drop me PM with your name, account number and DoB, I can let you know once they're available?

Max
Userlevel 1
Thanks Max for the reply, but how do I send you the required info without the world and its uncle reading it?
Thanks Max for the reply, but how do I send you the required info without the world and its uncle reading it?

Just click on my profile and then Send message.

Thanks,
Max
Hi @Max_OVO

Is there any likely timescale on when the new IHDs will be available?
Userlevel 1
I phoned OVO (again) yesterday to ask when a decent usage monitor would be available or least new software for the Secure Monitor. The Customer Care lady I spoke to asked their Smart Team. Unfortunately no idea yet. It seems that the Smart Team are not that smart after all!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @Max_OVO

Is there any likely timescale on when the new IHDs will be available?

Hey @AKWillows. The current wait time is between 2-3 weeks. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
Any news when the new IHD will be available and how I might get one?

I'm happy to return the poor original (rubbish one)? 😛
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Any news when the new IHD will be available and how I might get one?

I'm happy to return the poor original (rubbish one)? :P

Just responded to your other comment about this here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/pay-monthly-customer-and-my-in-home-display-84/

Lucy
Userlevel 4
Badge
A few months ago I got a black box from Ovo. Photos would be attached if that was possible! It's a Zigbee Communications Gateway from telegesis, plugged into main router and mains.
I've no idea whether I should have received anything else in the post, or instructions as to what to do with the router, over and above connecting it to mains and ISP router. It's been plugged in since I received it, and so comes under the 'always on' category of electricity usage. Not great when I'm not getting any benefit from it!
A phone call to customer services didn't help, as the person I spoke to and his supervisor? had no idea what this is for. They said someone from the technical team would be in touch but so far I've not heard from anyone.
Can you find out what should be happening please? I'm really excited if I will soon be able to download my usage data, or use an API to get it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
A few months ago I got a black box from Ovo. Photos would be attached if that was possible! It's a Zigbee Communications Gateway from telegesis, plugged into main router and mains.
I've no idea whether I should have received anything else in the post, or instructions as to what to do with the router, over and above connecting it to mains and ISP router. It's been plugged in since I received it, and so comes under the 'always on' category of electricity usage. Not great when I'm not getting any benefit from it!
A phone call to customer services didn't help, as the person I spoke to and his supervisor? had no idea what this is for. They said someone from the technical team would be in touch but so far I've not heard from anyone.
Can you find out what should be happening please? I'm really excited if I will soon be able to download my usage data, or use an API to get it.

We've got this sorted via a PM @SianiAnni but you can send over a photo as a topic comment. Here's what the new IHD looks like:

Send over a picture of what you have!

Tim
Userlevel 4
Badge
This is my Zigbee Communications Gateway:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for sending that in @SianiAnni

That's our old Smart Gateway, which we offered to our energy customers from 23rd April to 7th September 2015. Unfortunately these won't be functioning as before: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-gateway/what-happens-if-my-smart-gateway-hasnt-arrived-or-has-stopped-working.html.

Want to get our In Home Display posted to you?

Tim
Userlevel 4
Badge
When you say 'these won't be functioning as before', what exactly do you mean? I've plugged it in and I can now see see minute by minute usage on the Usage page of the MyOvo website. What did it used to do?
I'm not really interested in the new IHD I'm afraid. My real interest is in analysing minute by minute gas usage with indoor temperature and external temperature. So I'll wait for that API to become available thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm not 100% sure @SianiAnni but @Tim_OVO will be able to extend upon this!

My contract is due for renewal shortly and, before renewing, I want to know when I will get a decent IHD if I stay with OVO.

Can anyone confirm if and when I can get one?

My contract is due for renewal shortly and, before renewing, I want to know when I will get a decent IHD if I stay with OVO.

Can anyone confirm if and when I can get one?

Hey @MadArgy

Have you already got an IHD? If not, send me a PM with your full name, DoB and account number so I can arrange for one to be sent out to you (providing you've already got our smart meters).

Thanks,
Emma
Sent as a complaint and posted here

I’m not asking for the moon on a stick, just that OVO carry out a simple request to connect my CAD to the smart meter HAN.

Following the somewhat protracted but ultimately successful connection of such a device for another customer, this forum post refers: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/can-i-connect-a-cad-to-my-smart-meters-if-ovo-open-the-home-area-network-han-1102/index1.html I purchased the same make and model of CAD

I requested the connection, supplying the required connection details in the form of an .xml file on 30/01/2018. During that day I had a number of email exchanges with the various people at OVO, getting different answers each time!

The two most relevant are quoted below:

Hello Robin,
Thank you for your email.

I have contacted our Smart Metering Team, they have now got this information which you sent over. They will be in contact with you in 3-5 working days.

I hope this helps you, if you need any more assistance do not hesitate to view our website with information about Smart Meters at www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers

Kind regards,
Louis

The Smart Metering Team have not contacted me at all

Hello Robin,
Thank you for your time today.

As discussed, after speaking with our smart metering team they have advised that they can pair the CAD device you have purchased, however it will take some time to get everything ready.

They have requested that the device is left plugged into the mains and turned on, once necessary activity has been carried out on the network and with Secure then we will remotely pair the device, this will be completed within the next 2-4 weeks.

Thanks,
Megan

The four weeks have now passed and the CAD it still not connected.

Would someone from OVO please respond…

This does not show your customer service in a good light.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@redwood it might be best to contact the social media team with this sort of query. The forum's more for customers to help each other. Get them on Facebook, Twitter, or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you need a kit that connects to your WiFi and tells you info about your energy usage, this will either be a Smart Gateway, or our new In Home Display.