Solved

Does the Smart Meters charge the user for its electricity use?

• 25 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
HI I have just had batteries fitted and have noticed when my house is running from the batteries there is a constant 10 - 20 watt usage showing on the IHD, when I checked on the my ovo app for usage sure enough there is the same constant usage when I am not using any power from the grid.
Do the consumers pay to power your meters? Or do i have faulty meters.
If we are paying this is a bit of a cheek and i believe most people don't realise that this is being done.
Regards to all Pete.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 1 March 2019, 18:00

Glad to hear you've figured this one out, @Llamedospete. The electricity meter itself is connected directly to the mains, so the usage (though minimal) isn't clocked by the meter. The gas meter runs from a battery, and the IHD uses around 10kWh a year to keep plugged in, which adds £1 to your energy bills.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
HI guys
I think that I have worked this one out, I believe that it is caused by the CT clamps on my inverter not being accurate, so telling my inverter that I have zero import when in fact I am still importing 10 - 20 watts.

Regards to all Pete
Userlevel 6
Badge
Glad to hear you've figured this one out, @Llamedospete. The electricity meter itself is connected directly to the mains, so the usage (though minimal) isn't clocked by the meter. The gas meter runs from a battery, and the IHD uses around 10kWh a year to keep plugged in, which adds £1 to your energy bills.