Solved

Does my Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) show daily standing charge or the cost of energy used?

• 3 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Does my smart meter in home display take in to account the daily standing charge in its calculations or is it just displaying the cost of energy used.Just had it fitted yesterday so a bit new to all this, thanks for any replies.
J
icon

Best answer by sam_cat 18 October 2017, 17:45

About all its useful for at the moment is instantaneous measurements... Ie if the cooker is on how much power does it use etc... It does this quite accurately (compared to a far shinier and far more fully featured tool called OpenEM that I use)

https://openenergymonitor.org/

My opinion (for what its worth) is that Ovo should take OpenEM's interface as a standard to try and match/better.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
The IHD is inaccurate, the expected bill amount displayed differs from the expected bill shown on your account when you log in.

Comparing its measurements of usage against measurements I have taken with my OpenEM the current electricity usage is accurate, but its frustrating that it cant get the bill right.

There has been mutterings of a version 2 that has a better display, but I was told that as I have a V1 an upgrade would not be offered.

Best advice I can give is put the IHD in a draw and use the online account for monitoring whats going on.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi @jholder,

I echo @sam_cat's response the IHD is a bit of a dud in terms of helping judge costings. I was fascinated with it for about a week and then realised it wasn't actually helping me very much. It's now in a drawer and I use my online account which is far more accurate and helpful for tracking how much I'm spending, where I'm spending it etc. Hopefully, those newer IHD's will be much more helpful for those that get access to them, but I've also been told I won't be getting one...heads off to sulk!
Userlevel 2
About all its useful for at the moment is instantaneous measurements... Ie if the cooker is on how much power does it use etc... It does this quite accurately (compared to a far shinier and far more fully featured tool called OpenEM that I use)

https://openenergymonitor.org/

My opinion (for what its worth) is that Ovo should take OpenEM's interface as a standard to try and match/better.