Solved

Does my In Home Display (IHD) need to be plugged in all the time?

• 12 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Does your smart metre have to be plugged in all the time? I turn the display thing off sometimes to plug other things in. Will this affect OVO getting my readings? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Slinky 13 January 2019, 15:17

I think what you meant to say was "Does theIHD (in home display) need to be plugged in all the time"?

No it doesn't, it's an independent device which takes information from the SMART meter. You can put batteries in it and leave it working unplugged, or turn it off by unplugging it. Plugging it back in again will make it connect to your meters if it's close enough.

You don't even need to use at all if you don't want to. Personally I think it just wastes valuable socket space and doesn't make any difference to how I use my energy. If I looked at it every time I boiled the kettle I'd never boil the kettle ever again.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I think what you meant to say was "Does theIHD (in home display) need to be plugged in all the time"?

No it doesn't, it's an independent device which takes information from the SMART meter. You can put batteries in it and leave it working unplugged, or turn it off by unplugging it. Plugging it back in again will make it connect to your meters if it's close enough.

You don't even need to use at all if you don't want to. Personally I think it just wastes valuable socket space and doesn't make any difference to how I use my energy. If I looked at it every time I boiled the kettle I'd never boil the kettle ever again.