Solved

Does my In Home Display (IHD) need to be plugged in all the time?

• 12 January 2019
  • 16 replies

Does your smart meter have to be plugged in all the time? I turn the display thing off sometimes to plug other things in. Will this affect OVO getting my readings?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 22 April 2022, 13:07

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 01/12/22 by Tim_OVO

A great question to ask about your In-Home Display (IHD).

This device allows you to view your smart meter usage data by connecting to your smart meter via the Home Area Network (HAN). We’d advise keeping the device plugged in close to your electricity meter if you’d like an easy way to check your real-time usage.

If you’d prefer not to use the IHD (or want to free up some plug space), not to worry. You can unplug and store the device without impacting the connection of your smart meters. As the smart meters use the Wide Area Network (WAN) to send us your meter readings, they’ll be unaffected by the function of any IHD.

Don’t forget you can also check your usage data via the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

For more IHD advice check out the guides below:

S2 Chameleon IHD Guide

S1 Chameleon IHD Guide

S1 Pipit IHD Guide

Userlevel 2

It's on the in-home display screen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. Which IHD do you have @Technophobe ? If you’re not sure, please post photos of it and we’ll help you out.

For a Chameleon IHD6 though, simply choose the Messages option from the menu.

Userlevel 2

It's the chameleon. I'm not happy with it as the signal is very variable here and I worry about inconsistent readings being sent and being converted to estimates. I stopped the charging last night and the screen had gone blank, going on again when I switched the charge on again. Surely, cost-wise and efficiency-wise, it doesn't have to be charged all the time? Can I just send meter readings myself at the designated time? Which will my bill be based on, the smart meter or the conventional meter readings? There is now no envelope and no "You have a new message" message. I'm afraid I'm finding this very stressful and far from ideal. I have M.E. and my capacity for all that this seems to entail is just not there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your IHD is only used to show you data from the smart meter. It isn't required for the smart meter to work properly and send data to your energy company. You could leave it switched off in the box and your meter would work fine.

Userlevel 2

Ah, I was told I had to have a smart meter or my plan would change? I just find it all too stressful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No need to worry. You have a smart meter.

The IHD is just a display for your interest. It is not an essential part of the smart meter. Mine is switched off on a shelf somewhere.

Userlevel 2

Thank you. That's reassuring. So you just submit readings "old school"?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your smart meter sends data to your energy company so you shouldn't have to send any readings.

Userlevel 2

Even if switched off and signal variable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's the meter that sends data to your energy company, not the display unit you have in the house.

Userlevel 2

Ok. Thanks for your patience!!!!!! 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can usually also check the messages on the meters themselves as well. It varies as to exactly how that works, but it’s possible if you poke about for a bit.

Hello,  I noticed I had accidently switched off my smart metre display. I have switched it back on but the display team is still blank .It was switched off for about an hour I think 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Carnethy , if you’re talking about your in home display (IHD) then try taking the power off for a few minutes and then reconnecting - that might restart it. 
Alternatively if it’s been off power for some time, it might need a recharge or new batteries - depending on the type. They’re not designed to run off batteries for too long. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Carnethy 

BPLightlog as given some really great advice here already. Did you happen to give it a try?

Let us know if that worked for you. If you’re still having trouble, it’ll be worth getting in touch with the Support Team so they can look into this further if the issue continues.