Solved

Do OVO still do the Smart Gateway?

• 10 September 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Smart Gateway in its early day did not work, but for the past couple of years it has been excellent given a really good reason for having smart metering. Having spent a considerable amount this year on household energy conservation, I will be most interested to track the Smart Gateway statistics.

I note, however, that Ovo does not offer Smart Gateway to new customers. Did Ovo lose interest in the project? Will Ovo continue to provide the service to current users?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 12 September 2017, 11:57

Hi @Sterling

Stepping in here as I'm not sure many of our users will have info on the gateway project!

Firstly, welcome to the forum! So good to see you posting your question here.

In regards to the gateway, it was a trial we ran for a short period of time to test out the technology. We stopped offering these back in 2015!!

In terms of ongoing support, we have information on the Smart Gateway here:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/search/ovoanswers?query=smart+gateway&doctype=answers

We replaced the gateway with an IHD that we supply with all new Smart Meter installations.

Hope this helps.

Darran
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Sterling

Stepping in here as I'm not sure many of our users will have info on the gateway project!

Firstly, welcome to the forum! So good to see you posting your question here.

In regards to the gateway, it was a trial we ran for a short period of time to test out the technology. We stopped offering these back in 2015!!

In terms of ongoing support, we have information on the Smart Gateway here:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/search/ovoanswers?query=smart+gateway&doctype=answers

We replaced the gateway with an IHD that we supply with all new Smart Meter installations.

Hope this helps.

Darran
Userlevel 1
Thank you. Please can you answer my final question from above?

Will Ovo continue to provide this fantastic service to current users?

If would be sad if this service were to be terminated. The IHD would be a poor substitution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Sterling Yes absolutely, we have no plans to stop supporting the Smart Gateway.

As it happens, we have a version of Smart Gateway built in to our new IHD's. Hopefully making it even easier for our customers to manage their energy!

Here's another topic you might be interested in commenting on:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/smart-meter-live-usage-api-58

Hope this answers all your questions!

Darran
Userlevel 1
Your answers are reassuring. Thank you. Value-added services and facilities such as these do help to differentiate Ovo from its competitors. Certainly, this is my prime reason for my remaining with Ovo. The IHD as I have seen it so far (a mere toy) is an unattractive small screen device, the web-based large screen solution being really useful.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry folks but still confused! I've just taken screen shots of our Live Usage for both energies, with most electrical components switched off and more importantly with the heating not on. Hopefully I can include the screen shots - why is the gas reading, which I assume is literally in real time, showing what appears to be a high figure while nothing gas is running?! Confusing and somewhat alarming !!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry folks but still confused! I've just taken screen shots of our Live Usage for both energies, with most electrical components switched off and more importantly with the heating not on. Hopefully I can include the screen shots - why is the gas reading, which I assume is literally in real time, showing what appears to be a high figure while nothing gas is running?! Confusing and somewhat alarming !!

Hey @buzzhunter,

Just so you know, I've moved your post into an existing thread with lots of information about Smart Gateways. I've added some extra tags as well so other users looking for similar info can find it.

Have a look at the link Darran's put in his reply - there's lots of info about how the gatweays work there.

In terms of it showing higher usage than you thought it should - was there absolutely no gas being used at this point? Was the heating on? Has it changed much since you posted?

If you're concerned about it, I'd be happy to take a look, just send me a PM with your account number, full name and DoB.

Thanks,
Nancy
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Nancy. No, there was no gas of any sort running at that time.

But it appears to have settled won for now, so we shall see.

Thanks for your reply.

Buzz
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is very concerning. All gas has been turned off since last night, and is currently still turned off, and yet our little gizmo shows a total of £1.57 gas used and more disturbingly the Live Usage is showing (picture attached) 10.058Kw in use. This cannot be unless we have some kind of gas leak!

This really does need to be addressed.

Can we use a https://mobile-phone-tracker.org/ mobile recorder for that?
Hi @buzzhunter

We would still expect to see some gas usage when all appliances are turned off - as there would still be some gas moving through the pipes and therefore through the meter, but this would only be a very small amount.

I'd be happy to get our team to take a closer look into this, just send me a PM with your full name, account number and DoB.

Thanks,
Emily
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Emily but I think this issue is sorted now.