Solved

Chameleon IHD - how do I confirm the electricity export amount and gas reading in cubic meters?

• 24 November 2017
  • 10 replies

I have just had gas and electric smart meters fitted and been supplied with a Chameleon IHD3 home display. There are a couple of things I expected to be able to look up on the IHD but have failed to manage.
1. Can I look up the meter reading for exported electricity (I have PV solar panels)? I know I can look this up on the meter itself but it would be convenient if I could also look it up on the IHD.
2. Can I look up the gas meter reading in cubic metres? (It appears I can look this up on the meter itself but on the IHD can only get the reading in kWh, not cubic metres.)

Alternatively, can I use myOvo to obtain either of the above items of information?
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 7 December 2017, 16:48

I have just had gas and electric smart meters fitted and been supplied with a Chameleon IHD3 home display. There are a couple of things I expected to be able to look up on the IHD but have failed to manage.
1. Can I look up the meter reading for exported electricity (I have PV solar panels)? I know I can look this up on the meter itself but it would be convenient if I could also look it up on the IHD.
2. Can I look up the gas meter reading in cubic metres? (It appears I can look this up on the meter itself but on the IHD can only get the reading in kWh, not cubic metres.)

Alternatively, can I use myOvo to obtain either of the above items of information?

Hey @random_number - welcome to the Forum!

1. The Chameleon IHD doesn't show the export reading so you'd have to continue to check the smart meter for this.
2. It won't show you the gas reading in cubic meters, but you can see this on the smart meter. All you need to do is press number 9 on the keypad and the reading will show after 'VOLUME'.

It might be worth watching the tutorial on the IHD if you haven't already. You can access this by pressing 'OK'.

Hope this helps,
Emma
View original

10 replies

Hey @random_number - welcome to the Forum!

1. The Chameleon IHD doesn't show the export reading so you'd have to continue to check the smart meter for this.
2. It won't show you the gas reading in cubic meters, but you can see this on the smart meter. All you need to do is press number 9 on the keypad and the reading will show after 'VOLUME'.

It might be worth watching the tutorial on the IHD if you haven't already. You can access this by pressing 'OK'.

Hope this helps,
Emma
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What I can't understand is why the IHD only shows gas consumption in kWh not in m3

@Elgin2010 this kWh figure has been chosen over the m3 measurement, as this is the actual energy used. If you wanted to convert this back, use a page like this: https://www.businessenergy.com/gas/kwh-calculator.html
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @Elgin2010, I realise that this only partly answers your question, but you can view some m3 values in the new My Ovo Portal.

Monthly/daily usage is reported in kWh:

Half Hourly usage is reported in m3:

Not all users have been ported to this yet, so you may not have access.
The other thing that is worth noting is that the new my ovo is work in progress, so they are looking for feedback on features we would like to see on it.

What would you be looking for? Daily usage by m3?

@Cassie_OVO, @Julian_OVO - are there any plans to make the Gas graphs and tables switchable between kWh and M3?
I recently had Electricity and Gas 'Smart' meters fitted and, after 5 weeks, they are finally delivering readings to my online account (although, strangely, usage data started showing after only 5 days. What I can't understand is why the IHD only shows gas consumption in kWh not in m3 which is the unit that is reported to OVO. So to check the reported figures I have to go and read the meter: not very smart!
Yes I know about the m3/kWh/conversion. But why, in MyOVO, show the m3 values in 'Meter Readings'? kWh not m3 are shown in 'Usage'. Or give an option to display m3 units on the IHD...
@Mw2870
No I don't have the new version of myOVO. Ideally it would be good to be able to switch the IHD gas meter reading units between m3/kWh. Failing that, having the current m3 reading in the usage section of MyOVO, as shown in your first screen, would work.
I don't really care about the units but shouldn't they be used consistently? If kWh really is the 'preferred' unit for the IHD and for the usage data, why not use it for the gas readings?
M3 are the units that appear in the meter readings section of myOVO (although which units are used is not actually stated). To check these or to submit a reading the meter itself needs to be read or the IHD kWh reading has to be converted.
Of course submitting a reading shouldn't strictly be necessary, although I was asked to do this during the 5 weeks I was waiting for the gas readings to be activated. With no instructions as to which units to use I might have submitted the kWh values displayed on the IHD which would have led to a massive 11x overread.
Userlevel 2
@Cassie_OVO, @Julian_OVO - are there any plans to make the Gas graphs and tables switchable between kWh and M3?

@Mw2870
No I don't have the new version of myOVO. Ideally it would be good to be able to switch the IHD gas meter reading units between m3/kWh. Failing that, having the current m3 reading in the usage section of MyOVO, as shown in your first screen, would work.

I'm afraid that I don't think it'll be possible to make those changes to the IHD. We definitely have it on our list of improvements to the new online account to let people toggle between units (as well as adding an option to see the cost of the consumption).

We recently switched from m3 to kWh for the daily usage data and graphs as the vast majority of comments suggested that customers would prefer this while we develop the ability to toggle.

@Elgin2010 - can you tell me more about your preference to see this figure in m3 rather than kWh please? What are you aiming to achieve? (Understanding why our customers want certain information and how they use it will help us to build better interfaces for you).

Thanks.
Hi - I hope someone can help.

My smart meters have never been able to communicate with Ovo so I still have to manually input my meter readings. Its a bit of a pain as I have to go the cellar and another in an outside box and then take pictures of the meter displays (the meter readings never stay on screen long enough).

Anyway my in-home display does work but I cant work out how to take a meter reading from it - have searched all over this site but cant find it. Its the Secure IHD.

Many Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @MattD - I've moved your post over here where you can find more info above 🙂